Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is rosary biblical?
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2008 - 9:26AM #1
lordcenon
A major religious group doctrinates the importance of saying the rosary allegedly originated from a vision.

Is saying the rosary's content biblical? I say it is not according to Matthew Chapter 6 of any translation, meaning whether the Bible is protestant or catholic inclined, the implication is still the same.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 3:06PM #2
TimBrent
Not every Christian practice has to be Biblical in nature.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 3:45PM #3
lordcenon
[QUOTE=TimBrent;433438]Not every Christian practice has to be Biblical in nature.[/QUOTE]
agrred, provided that the pratice does not violate anything that was written in the Holy Scripture, no matter the version is. Saying of the rosary is in contradiction to Matthew chapter 6 and the use of idolatry as written in Exodus chapter 20 of the Ten Commandments of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 1:22AM #4
Devona

lordcenon wrote:

Saying of the rosary is in contradiction to Matthew chapter 6 and the use of idolatry as written in Exodus chapter 20 of the Ten Commandments of God.

I disagree. How did you come to that conclusion? There's NOTHING in Matthew 6 that even remotely references the rosary. The emphasis there is on hypocrisy - 'don't pray just to be seen praying.'

As for Exodus and idolatry - that's pretty far-fetched. Rosary beads cannot be seen as 'idols' by any stretch of the imagination! They're prayer beads. That's it. Nothing evil or sinister about them.

Blessings,
Devona

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 1:23PM #5
TimBrent
[QUOTE=Devona;434936]I disagree. How did you come to that conclusion? There's NOTHING in Matthew 6 that even remotely references the rosary. The emphasis there is on hypocrisy - 'don't pray just to be seen praying.'

As for Exodus and idolatry - that's pretty far-fetched. Rosary beads cannot be seen as 'idols' by any stretch of the imagination! They're prayer beads. That's it. Nothing evil or sinister about them.

Blessings,
Devona[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they are an aid to prayer,not prayed to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2008 - 2:14AM #6
Devona
I think he might have been alluding to Matthew 6:7... "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

I believe the point of that verse though was about hypocrisy -   praying in public, just saying prayers aloud to be seen praying etc.

That's how I see the 'vain repetitions' allusion. 

A rosary is simpy a tool to prayer - sure the prayers may be repeated but that's it.  I don't believe Matthew was referring at all to the rosary.

Blessings,
Devona
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2008 - 6:40PM #7
Bob_Bennett
The vision of Mary urging humankind to pray the rosary represents subsequent or newer revelation, and trumps any seeming contradiction in the bible.   The bible is not the end all and be all of revealed truths.  It is merely a packaging of 72 individual 'books', some if not many of which are of dubious sources.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 8:57PM #8
POC777
Praying with the rosary was made by the Catholic Church in 1090 A.D. Hundreds of years after the Jesus Christ ascension and the Apostles.

Jesus, the Apostles and the Epistles, don't teach praying with a rosary!

There's not one example of anyone "praying with a rosary" in the Old Testament or New Testament.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2008 - 4:45AM #9
Sthilarious
[QUOTE=POC777;480147]Praying with the rosary was made by the Catholic Church in 1090 A.D. Hundreds of years after the Jesus Christ ascension and the Apostles.

Jesus, the Apostles and the Epistles, don't teach praying with a rosary!

There's not one example of anyone "praying with a rosary" in the Old Testament or New Testament.[/QUOTE]

Jesus teaches his disciples to pray to his Father.

Ignore at your peril!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 15, 2008 - 5:33AM #10
Merope
[QUOTE=lordcenon;427935]Is saying the rosary's content biblical? I say it is not according to Matthew Chapter 6 of any translation, meaning whether the Bible is protestant or catholic inclined, the implication is still the same.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Well, most of the content of the rosary is "biblical" in that the first part of the "Hail Mary" (one prayer that is prayed 50+ times on the rosary) comes directly from Luke's infancy narrative.  Additionally, the Lord's Prayer is part of the rosary (it's prayed 5+ times on the rosary) and, of course, that prayer is in both Matthew and Luke.  Also, the Apostles' Creed is prayed once when saying the rosary; while the creed itself (as a stand-alone prayer) is not found in the bible, most of its credal propositional content comes directly from both the Old Testament and the New Testament.  Finally, when praying the rosary, most people typically meditate on events from Jesus' and Mary's lives, as recounted in the gospels.

So, yeah ... I'd say the rosary's content is pretty biblical :-)

Matthew 6 covers a lot of ground, including the Lord's Prayer.  Since the Lord's Prayer is part of the rosary, I don't see where the rosary is not in accordance with this chapter of Matthew's gospel.

[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook