Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View The Bible in public schools
5 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 11:33AM #21
MisterC
[QUOTE=apologistrob;961756]I am a devout Christian and I dont want the Bible taught in public schools. Teach my children to read and write and add and subtract, let me worry about molding the content of their characture. But on the other hand, in this day in age, parents are getting younger and giving up their parental duties. It seems as though the meaning of parenting now-a-days is feeding, clothing, and houses, the rest is up to the children to figure out. Parents today put more responsability on the teachers to "raise"  their children. It saddens me.[/QUOTE]

I am not by any sense of the word a Christian but I agree with every word you say. There is common ground.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 4:24PM #22
andrewcyrus
[QUOTE=heterodoxus;962502]Off topic. But, since you opened the door: are readers to deduce from that comment that you would've preferred possibly 1M+ allied casualties to the relatively scant thousands of deaths in two enemy cities within a nation that tenaciously believed surrender was, according to their religion, dishonorable and unthinkable?

If so, should we also deduce that you consider the Catholic Church as the "bad guy" of the Crusades? Or Christianity the "bad guy" leading up to 9/11? Perhaps we need more academic emphasis on history, not religions?!

What was it the man said would happen to those people who ignore history?[/QUOTE]

The bible was written so that we would know the things that are.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 8:47AM #23
MisterC
[QUOTE=andrewcyrus;1010073]The bible was written so that we would know the things that are.[/QUOTE]

No, it wasn't. "The Bible" wasn't written as a whole. Various narratives, poetry, parody, apocalypse, and so forth were written, by many diverse groups. Some of the books were chosen as "special," by people, so they made the canons. Very little has to do with "things that are" or "things that were." I suppose it could be seen as historical as the content of fairy tales such as found with the Brothers Grimm or Hans C. Andersen. It has no place in public school as anything other than a footnote, just as the Koran, Book of Mormon, Vedic, Analects, I Ching, Diamond Sutra and so forth. Students should be aware of religious texts and should be appreciative of the value of them in the cultural context they are used, but teaching that the Bible "was written so that we would know the things that are" is indoctrination, something that should be left up to parents... And you know, it seems that this fundamentalist approach doesn't really "take." When one accents the supernatural in the Bible (virgin birth, resurrection, miracles, creation stories, etc), as soon as the normal to above average IQ learns how the world really works, they are left realizing that what they have been told is a lie, so they quit believing it, especially in a world which is unable to look past "true" or "false."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 8:47AM #24
MisterC
[QUOTE=andrewcyrus;1010073]The bible was written so that we would know the things that are.[/QUOTE]

No, it wasn't. "The Bible" wasn't written as a whole. Various narratives, poetry, parody, apocalypse, and so forth were written, by many diverse groups. Some of the books were chosen as "special," by people, so they made the canons. Very little has to do with "things that are" or "things that were." I suppose it could be seen as historical as the content of fairy tales such as found with the Brothers Grimm or Hans C. Andersen. It has no place in public school as anything other than a footnote, just as the Koran, Book of Mormon, Vedic, Analects, I Ching, Diamond Sutra and so forth. Students should be aware of religious texts and should be appreciative of the value of them in the cultural context they are used, but teaching that the Bible "was written so that we would know the things that are" is indoctrination, something that should be left up to parents... And you know, it seems that this fundamentalist approach doesn't really "take." When one accents the supernatural in the Bible (virgin birth, resurrection, miracles, creation stories, etc), as soon as the normal to above average IQ learns how the world really works, they are left realizing that what they have been told is a lie, so they quit believing it, especially in a world which is unable to look past "true" or "false."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook