Switch to Forum Live View I have read the Yusuf Ali translation of the Quran, any other translation I should
7 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 12:06PM #1
UUloveandpeace1981
I have read the Yusuf Ali translation of the Quran, any other translation I should read.?? The reason I've read this translation of the Quran is that many Muslims accept it as the best translation and I believe them it seems it is. Thank you all and Salaam.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 10:48AM #2
UUloveandpeace1981
Thank you World Citizen, I will do that. By the way I really love the Baha'i faith, I love people of all religions and may you have peace my friend.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 6:35PM #3
Fighter
No Muslim respects that version.  Try picking up a copy of "The Noble Quran" by Dr. Mohammed Muhsin Khan.  You can get it from Darrussalaam publishers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 11, 2008 - 8:42PM #4
Muhammad_Ahmad
The Holy Qur'an with English Translation and Commentary (Hardcover) by Maulana Muhammad Ali

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Quran-Englis … 692&sr=8-1

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

64 of 67 people found the following review helpful:
Why this translation should be chosen over ALL others, January 4, 2001
By  Richard L. Nevitt (shakur-abdel-Haleem) (Anchorage, Alaska United States) - See all my reviews

I would like to offer some reasons why I recommend this translation over ALL others commonly available, especially for Muslims who would like to give a Qur'an to any academic type person who is well educated or even just well read. I am not a member of the Lahore movement they even refuse to sell me their books so this is not a biased opinion. Also a caution for Muslims: this IS NOT a Qaidani book as often believed (they strongly condemn Qaidani's) and you will find this translation given a positive review with slight reservations in the first edition of Yusuf Ali's translation. So, onto those reasons.
Most other translations are actually embarrasing to nascent Islam's reputation for high scholarship and professionlism. They fail embarrasingly in one or more (often all) of the following: either no index at all (Asad, etc) or a very poor index (Yusuf Ali, Muhammad Khan etc); professional quality of the printing and publication itself (Yusuf Ali etc); also the readability of the Arabic script (most); and most importantly either no commentary (Arberry, Pickthall, actually most) or very bad commentary (Khan's dishonest use of brackets or Yusuf Ali's inaccurate, dogmatic, awkward style).

This Qur'an has: 1. a very thorough index, 2. excellent publication and printing quality, 3. the very best I've seen in Arabic script readability, 4. the most scholarly and thorough commentary I've seen with only Asad coming close, 5. a commentary that offers the multiple possiblities where this occurs without telling you which choice "is the only right choice", 6. linguistic commentary with separate Arabic linguisitic index, 7. finally most important is the date this translation and commentary were done: early 1900's revision around 40's-50's; that M.M. Ali's types of comments were made, especially about women at these early dates is a proud fact for Islam. A new paraphrased for English as a second lanquage version or a simple English paraphrase is the only way I can see to improve this work.

I would not reccomend ordering this or his other books from the publisher as they don't seem to respond well to individual orders, but ordering through dealers works just fine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 11, 2008 - 8:42PM #5
Muhammad_Ahmad
The Holy Qur'an with English Translation and Commentary (Hardcover) by Maulana Muhammad Ali

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Quran-Englis … 692&sr=8-1

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

64 of 67 people found the following review helpful:
Why this translation should be chosen over ALL others, January 4, 2001
By  Richard L. Nevitt (shakur-abdel-Haleem) (Anchorage, Alaska United States) - See all my reviews

I would like to offer some reasons why I recommend this translation over ALL others commonly available, especially for Muslims who would like to give a Qur'an to any academic type person who is well educated or even just well read. I am not a member of the Lahore movement they even refuse to sell me their books so this is not a biased opinion. Also a caution for Muslims: this IS NOT a Qaidani book as often believed (they strongly condemn Qaidani's) and you will find this translation given a positive review with slight reservations in the first edition of Yusuf Ali's translation. So, onto those reasons.
Most other translations are actually embarrasing to nascent Islam's reputation for high scholarship and professionlism. They fail embarrasingly in one or more (often all) of the following: either no index at all (Asad, etc) or a very poor index (Yusuf Ali, Muhammad Khan etc); professional quality of the printing and publication itself (Yusuf Ali etc); also the readability of the Arabic script (most); and most importantly either no commentary (Arberry, Pickthall, actually most) or very bad commentary (Khan's dishonest use of brackets or Yusuf Ali's inaccurate, dogmatic, awkward style).

This Qur'an has: 1. a very thorough index, 2. excellent publication and printing quality, 3. the very best I've seen in Arabic script readability, 4. the most scholarly and thorough commentary I've seen with only Asad coming close, 5. a commentary that offers the multiple possiblities where this occurs without telling you which choice "is the only right choice", 6. linguistic commentary with separate Arabic linguisitic index, 7. finally most important is the date this translation and commentary were done: early 1900's revision around 40's-50's; that M.M. Ali's types of comments were made, especially about women at these early dates is a proud fact for Islam. A new paraphrased for English as a second lanquage version or a simple English paraphrase is the only way I can see to improve this work.

I would not reccomend ordering this or his other books from the publisher as they don't seem to respond well to individual orders, but ordering through dealers works just fine.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook