Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Progressive Bible Study Resources
9 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 1:00AM #1
India42
I am looking for resources from a progressive christian point of view to help me study the bible.  Are there particularly good podcasts, blogs, etc?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 9:04AM #2
MisterC
[QUOTE=India42;1010958]I am looking for resources from a progressive christian point of view to help me study the bible.  Are there particularly good podcasts, blogs, etc?[/QUOTE]

Here are a couple of sites that might be helpful:
http://sites.google.com:80/site/biblica … resources/
http://ntgateway.com

India, there don't seem to be any progressive Christians actively engaged in this forum. It is mainly people who either are evangelical/fundamentalist or those who react to the evangelical/fundamentalist. A great place for you to ask this question would be the Jesus Seminar forum, presently on beliefnet.

In fact (and I am inflerring that by Christian point of view you mean the Christian scriptures), they have some great books about the gospels: The Five Gospels and The Acts of Jesus. Richard Pervo and Joseph Tyson have also published a book apiece on Acts of the Apostles. The Jesus Seminar is closing in on, after probably 15 or more years, a new translation of the Paulines, too.   That address is http://westarinstitute.org  I believe

I generally read books, preferring them to electronic media. These are progressive Christians who have written a wealth of books about Christianity. These are merely my favorites:

Catholic.....  Dom Crossan or Art Dewey
Anglican/Episcopal... John Shelby Spong
Lutheran.... Marcus Borg or Kathleen Corley
Southern Baptist.... Kirby Godsey or Charles Hedrick

(Crossan and Hedrick can get quite a bit technical.)

Jewish authors... Amy-Jill Levine, David Flusser, Hyam Maccoby

Geza Vermes is another great source. Born to Jewish parents, he was hidden by Catholics from the Nazis and received a Catholic education.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 10:14AM #3
flitzerbiest
[QUOTE=India42;1010958]I am looking for resources from a progressive christian point of view to help me study the bible.  Are there particularly good podcasts, blogs, etc?[/QUOTE]

Reading the Bible Again for the First Time or The Heart of Christianity by Marcus Borg would probably be good starts.  For a congenial debate between liberal and conservative theologians, The Meaning of Jesus by Borg and Wright is worth the price of admission.

Other authors who might interest you would be John Dominic Crossan, Geza Vermes, John Shelby Spong, and, if you want another approach altogether, Jack Miles (God:  A Biography, and Christ:  A Crisis in the Life of God). 

As for online resources, some of the archives from Krista Tippet's Speaking of Faith are excellent, but they tend to be topical and interfaith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 1:00AM #4
India42
I am looking for resources from a progressive christian point of view to help me study the bible.  Are there particularly good podcasts, blogs, etc?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 9:04AM #5
MisterC

Here are a couple of sites that might be helpful:
http://sites.google.com:80/site/biblica … resources/
http://ntgateway.com

India, there don't seem to be any progressive Christians actively engaged in this forum. It is mainly people who either are evangelical/fundamentalist or those who react to the evangelical/fundamentalist. A great place for you to ask this question would be the Jesus Seminar forum, presently on beliefnet.

In fact (and I am inflerring that by Christian point of view you mean the Christian scriptures), they have some great books about the gospels: The Five Gospels and The Acts of Jesus. Richard Pervo and Joseph Tyson have also published a book apiece on Acts of the Apostles. The Jesus Seminar is closing in on, after probably 15 or more years, a new translation of the Paulines, too.   That address is http://westarinstitute.org  I believe

I generally read books, preferring them to electronic media. These are progressive Christians who have written a wealth of books about Christianity. These are merely my favorites:

Catholic.....  Dom Crossan or Art Dewey
Anglican/Episcopal... John Shelby Spong
Lutheran.... Marcus Borg or Kathleen Corley
Southern Baptist.... Kirby Godsey or Charles Hedrick

(Crossan and Hedrick can get quite a bit technical.)

Jewish authors... Amy-Jill Levine, David Flusser, Hyam Maccoby

Geza Vermes is another great source. Born to Jewish parents, he was hidden by Catholics from the Nazis and received a Catholic education.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 10:14AM #6
flitzerbiest

Reading the Bible Again for the First Time or The Heart of Christianity by Marcus Borg would probably be good starts.  For a congenial debate between liberal and conservative theologians, The Meaning of Jesus by Borg and Wright is worth the price of admission.

Other authors who might interest you would be John Dominic Crossan, Geza Vermes, John Shelby Spong, and, if you want another approach altogether, Jack Miles (God:  A Biography, and Christ:  A Crisis in the Life of God). 

As for online resources, some of the archives from Krista Tippet's Speaking of Faith are excellent, but they tend to be topical and interfaith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2015 - 8:10PM #7
Beliefnet_community

James in the Suburbs: A Disorderly Parable of the Epistle of James, by April Love-Fordham.

We are listening! Problems, complaints, other issues? Send us a message at Beliefnet_community.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook