6 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 12:40AM #1
gorm-sionnach
What mythological texts do you draw inspiration from.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 9:50AM #2
EyesoftheWorld
Is that a question. haha

I am really enjoying Robert Graves' "The Complete Greek Myths"! He apparently did some exhausive research. I just started it but I can tell it's going to take me deeper into that vast ocean of mythology than I've ever been.

For example, did you know that Cyclopses were associated with blacksmiths b/c in ancient times blacksmiths would wear a patch over one eye b/c of the flying sparks and hot metal fragments? Cyclopses were also connected with volcanic activity. the red hot / liquidization of solids seems the common theme between them.
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 10:42AM #3
John_T_Mainer
The Poetic Edda, Hrolf Kraki's Saga, Egil's Saga.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2009 - 9:54PM #4
bigbear6161

I like Gilgamesh, and also love Ovid's Metamorphoses.  I am also very fond of Lucius Apuleius' The Golden Ass.

Dave

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 11:25PM #5
Silvermoonoak

I have always loved D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, but my favorite is World Mythology by Donna Rosenberg. The section on the Greeks is quite good, though mostly just classics and common tales. There is an odd thing in there, though, that makes me wonder: It says that there are 13 Titans, when there were only ever 12 in the later myths. I don't know if that was a typo (since it doesn't cover the Titans past saying they were the first children of the Goddess), or if there really was a thirteenth.

But about any old Greek myth gives me loads of inspiration and spiritual aid! Smile

Gods Bless!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook