Switch to Forum Live View Disciples were all married?
7 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 4:39AM #1
hoknes
hoknes
10/18/2007 3:25 AM  1 out of 2   

It was common that Jews got married so its logical that most of the Disciples would have been married. And if they were poor it could be debated whether they would have had their wives and possibly children travel with them as they traveled. Its even likely Jesus was married too.

Just cause the Bible doesnt focus on saying out right anyone was married shouldn't mean that they automatically were NOT married.   

Hatman
10/21/2007 12:44 PM  2 out of 2   

Hoknes-
Just cause the Bible doesnt focus on saying out right anyone was married shouldn't mean that they automatically were NOT married.

True enough; iirc, it was Paul who introduced the teaching that if one was not married when they became Christ's, they should stay that way, but that it was "better to marry than to burn"---but I do not give anywhere NEAR as much credence to the words of Paul as I do to those of Christ.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2008 - 7:31AM #2
garethppls
Paul notes the fact that Cephas (Peter) had a Christian wife.

1 Corinthians 9:5-6 (NRSV) "Do we not have the right to be accompanied by a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas? Or is it only Barnabas and I who have to refrain from working for a living?"
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook