6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2007 - 10:29AM #1
nnn123
Online Hebrew-English Bible

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0.htm
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 1:53PM #2
PITBULL
I am new at this so I will probally need help from time to time understanding everything I desire to learn. PLEASE help me in this adventure in learning G D's word in an all new way.

REGUARDS

PITBULL
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 1:53PM #3
PITBULL
I am new at this so I will probally need help from time to time understanding everything I desire to learn. PLEASE help me in this adventure in learning G D's word in an all new way.

REGUARDS

PITBULL
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 6:34AM #4
wvpeach
I would like to ask a question?

It is the refusal to use the holy name Yahweh that has caused so much false teaching among the Christian denominations.

Had the Tanak and Torah used the name of Yahweh, the Christians would not have been able to establish the false teaching of the trinity nearly as widely as they have.

Why would you still be using a translation of the scriptures that used the English generic words God and Lord instead of the real name of the ONE true God  YHVH?

I guess I am asking if people still hold to the belief the name is too sacred to be spoken?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 9:19PM #5
mlarue75
[QUOTE=wvpeach;398820]I would like to ask a question?

It is the refusal to use the holy name Yahweh that has caused so much false teaching among the Christian denominations.

Had the Tanak and Torah used the name of Yahweh, the Christians would not have been able to establish the false teaching of the trinity nearly as widely as they have.

Why would you still be using a translation of the scriptures that used the English generic words God and Lord instead of the real name of the ONE true God  YHVH?

I guess I am asking if people still hold to the belief the name is too sacred to be spoken?[/QUOTE]First, we do not know for sure that "Yahweh" is how the divine name was vocalized.  That tradition was not preserved.  Second, yes, even if we knew how, we would not pronounce it.  Many of us don't even use "Adonai" anymore, and "HaShem" is preferred by the Orthodox -- two steps away from the original, to ensure that someone doesn't utter the divine name by mistake.

The reason translations have two words for God is simple:  there ARE two words in Torah:  YHWH and Elohim.  They are not interchangeable.  Each name evokes somewhat different qualities or attributes of the divine, e.g. mercy v. justice.  In translations, English happens to use "Lord" for YHWH and "God" for Elohim, but any language would distinguish between them.  You cannot just use one term instead of two.  It would do violence to the text.

I agree, the doctrine of the Trinity is rather peculiar, but mistranslating scripture is not a good way to fight it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 9:19PM #6
mlarue75
[QUOTE=wvpeach;398820]I would like to ask a question?

I guess I am asking if people still hold to the belief the name is too sacred to be spoken?[/QUOTE]First, we do not know for sure that "Yahweh" is how the divine name was vocalized.  That tradition was not preserved.  Second, yes, even if we knew how, we would not pronounce it.  Many of us don't even use "Adonai" anymore, and "HaShem" is preferred by the Orthodox -- two steps away from the original, to ensure that someone doesn't utter the divine name by mistake.

The reason translations have two words for God is simple:  there ARE two words in Torah:  YHWH and Elohim.  They are not interchangeable.  Each name evokes somewhat different qualities or attributes of the divine, e.g. mercy v. justice.  In translations, English happens to use "Lord" for YHWH and "God" for Elohim, but any language would distinguish between them.  You cannot just use one term instead of two.  It would do violence to the text.

I agree, the doctrine of the Trinity is rather peculiar, but mistranslating scripture is not a good way to fight it.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook