Switch to Forum Live View approved by the one that matters
7 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 8:21AM #1
Ahadhaam
When all is said and done in this realm there is only one approval that counts for anything.... G*d

Let my thoughts and deeds be  approved by you Hashem
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 3:30PM #2
nieciedo
Assuming, for the sake of argument, that God is the sort of being to which the limited human concept of "approval" can be applied, how does one discern what God does or does not approve of?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 4:38AM #3
Crest
What does this have to do with Jewish Sacred Texts? -_-

Anyways, yeah. What the guy above me said.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2008 - 2:45PM #4
Beruriah33
Oh, Niec, it's because some guy says God spoke through this collection of books that was written by a bunch of other guys who claimed to be in direct communication with God while writing said collection of books. Though according to some opinions, the guys writing the books were a little wonky. And according to other opinions, there were no mythological 'guys' because God Himself wrote the books and delivered them to King James. So they are an absolutely undeniably verifiable source for what God approves of. Though according to some opinions, only when read literally. And according to others, only when read in light of developing Jewish jurisprudence. And according to yet others, the Jewish part of the collection aren't really all that important any more, just those other non-Jewish books tacked onto the end.
See? Easy. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 9:50PM #5
mlarue75
[QUOTE=Beruriah33;210753]And according to other opinions, there were no mythological 'guys' because God Himself wrote the books and delivered them to King James.[/QUOTE]Um, well, not exactly (grin) but I would agree with the Reconstructionists, just this once, that they are our sacred texts because they are our sacred texts, regardless of who wrote them or did not write them.  And if I had to worry about the fine points of who is finding my prayer acceptable, I'd never start the Amidah.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 1:06PM #6
moonlighttruths
[QUOTE=mlarue75;264778]Um, well, not exactly (grin) but I would agree with the Reconstructionists, just this once, that they are our sacred texts because they are our sacred texts, regardless of who wrote them or did not write them..[/QUOTE]

do you know who said that originally??? because that rings so true.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 7:58PM #7
mlarue75
[QUOTE=moonlighttruths;327142]do you know who said that originally??? because that rings so true.[/QUOTE]Well, one of our frequent posters says that, but I don't know who said it originally.  I'd guess R. Kaplan himself, though maybe not in so many words.  (Probably in a lot MORE words.)  :D

The more I learn of Reconstructionism, the more it makes sense to me.  I guess deep down I believe it, but I can hardly tell that to my 4th grade Hebrew school class.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 7:58PM #8
mlarue75
[QUOTE=moonlighttruths;327142]do you know who said that originally??? because that rings so true.[/QUOTE]Well, one of our frequent posters says that, but I don't know who said it originally.  I'd guess R. Kaplan himself, though maybe not in so many words.  (Probably in a lot MORE words.)  :D

The more I learn of Reconstructionism, the more it makes sense to me.  I guess deep down I believe it, but I can hardly tell that to my 4th grade Hebrew school class.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook