Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 1:03PM #1
Seshen
The Tarot is the book of nature and natural law.  It teaches us about human nature, social structure etc.  I would consider this a sacred text of paganism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 10:02PM #2
gavrie
Hi Seshen -

It was actually a Christian invention in Renaissance Italy - some of it taking quite a snook at the Church. But Christian, nonetheless, heavily overlaid with neo-Platonism.

Though I do love the pantheon mixing - everyone from the Judgement Angel to Hercules showing up. Ren artists played with some heavy magic.

Still, tarot is an utter delight, and I agree, there is much to be learnt from it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 1:46AM #3
strange_err
Yes, I absolutely agree that Tarot is a sacred text, in a very unique format. I believe that since so much of it is derived from individual interpretation and meditation, it is much more nearly universal in nature than many other sacred texts.

~mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2007 - 2:02PM #4
kblackk42
The Tarot is interpretive, nobody reads or interprets the cards the same way everytime. It is a tool yes but Sacred Text?? no I dont think so
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 12:45PM #5
Hildulf
Modern Paganism encompasses many paths. Some of which DO have "Sacred Texts". The Book of Shadows is a personal journal of a practitioner of one path. Not all of Paganism.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 10:11AM #6
Hildulf
[QUOTE=Aradia Morrigan;196016]This is true, however there are precious few traditions within the Pagan community that have any sacred texts left.  Much of this is from the period in which the church felt it was their responsibility to convert as many people as possible.  Some of it is due to the fact that Pagans had to go underground for so long, that sacred texts were eventually lost.  I feel it is tragic that so much information is lost to our community, however I can't say that the tarot is a sacred text.  It is merely a tool which was created by a christian.[/QUOTE]

Can't disagree, there.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2008 - 4:43PM #7
sirensound
If you go to the roots of paganism and the roots of Christianity, you'll find they're somewhat related.

The modern tarot was created by Arthur Waite, a member of a very bohemian magical society called The Order of the Golden Dawn. He considered himself a Christian mystic. Traditional Christians didn't consider him anything, but blasphemous.

However Arthur Waite intended his tarot, over the years, people have devised their own systems and meanings around it. Therefore it could be said the tarot is pagan, if used by a pagan, in a pagan system.

I'm not sure what you mean by a sacred text. The tarot is not text. It's a collection of 78 pictures, relating to symbols, interpreted by the person who uses it.

Personally, I find it sacred.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 2:37AM #8
Sercher
[QUOTE=Rockin' on;413973]I think I have to agree with Siren..its definitely not what was MEANT to be a pagan tool, but it has come around the entire spectrum of 'peoples' using the interpretations for their own various and completely different reasons..[/QUOTE]

Such as the Etruscan tarot or the Babylonian tarot? I have a very vocal Egyptian one as well. What is was I don't see as important. But I love what they are!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 6:16PM #9
sfatula2000
Good question!

I'm prepping for an event in late June where I'm going to be doing public readings, and had 3 decks loaned to me for this purpose.  All 7 decks I'm working with for this can be used for general readings, but I'm finding some decks are better suited for those with a Pagan or witchy background, and some are better for kids or the general public.  Some decks and spreads are better for certain kinds of questions - for example, healing.  There's a difference in feel to each deck and how much power each one resonates with.  One of them is very powerful, but is going to require some long-term study for me to get really comfortable with it.  ( Faery Wicca) Another is nearly as powerful and easier for me to work with straight out of the box with no study.  (Fairy Ring Oracle) A third seems a little whimsical but still very powerful.  (Fairy Oracle) The other 4 have noticeably less power and I have to work harder to get my intuition to pick stuff up.

One interesting thing I found is spreads that work for either of two of the decks (Fairy Ring and Fairy Oracle) work well for the other, nearly in an interchageable fashion, but when I tried these same spreads with the other decks, I got garbled and confused readings.  With one spread I tried with the Faery Wicca deck, it was workable but not the most smooth and comfortable (kinda like shifting from second gear straight to fourth - the car seems underpowered and may shimmy and shake for a minute).

sfatula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2008 - 6:33PM #10
Wheelwitch
The Tarot, in all it's many forms including runes and sticks, is simply an aid to the practicioner to help concentration and allow the mind to seek forms and shapes with which to look inside one's own mind and seek an answer to a particular problem or question. It's like staring at clouds or searching for patterns in the ceiling tiles. Of course, like many things done with feeling, Tarot is quite effective.

Tarot is also European. When I was in the Philippines, playing cards were used, and often the jokers are left in.

Sacredness is in the perception.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook