Switch to Forum Live View Looking for General Information and Beliefs
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 3:12PM #1
Kokoro
I was wondering about the overall beliefs in regards to fairies, angels, and demons/daemons from a wider range of people than the small Conservative Christian community that I live in. I have yet to aquire a view on them myself, though I am somewhat skewed by past experiences to believe in some for of domestic care taking under the overall force of God. What does everyone think?
“I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks.” - Winston Churchill
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 2:18PM #2
Nonchristianheaven

There are plenty of books on the subjects you are looking for. 

There are plenty of people on this site that are very informed.

I am sure you can find your answers.

As far as history of...I have book lists on my page for that.

But current beliefs vary by which person you ask.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 12:25AM #3
gorm-sionnach

NCH is correct, it is largely a matter of culture, religious perspective and individual beliefs which will influence (if not determine) how one understands such beings.

From my own perspective, as a Gaelic polytheist, the faeries or aes sidhe (people of the mounds) are present in folk belief and in most of the mythological texts. They are often presented as otherworldy beings, who take an interest in human activities from time to time, but who share many of the same sorts of social structures as a given human society; if a little more stratified.

There is a current of thought that the aes sidhe as they are presented in the texts are to some degree representative of pre-Christian deities, because all the texts we do have were recorded by Christian scribes. It can be difficult to discern what was and was not part of the pre-christian world view, so keeping that in mind, one can make educated inferences and base conclusions on cross-cultural comparisons and probability.

In modern day GP, the aes sidhe are often seen to be spirits or deities of place, who have a connection to specific geographic locations or features. The other thing to keep in mind is that, while it could be argued to be incorrect to say there are "evil spirits", there are certainly spirits who have no love of humans and can be downright malicious. On the other hand there are spirits who are quite benign, and even beneficial to humans. In all cases, if one chooses to hold, say a ritual, in a specific area an offering will be made to the spirits of place who will welcome the activity, and one made in a more of a spirit of treaty to keep malicious spirits from being disruptive. Keep in mind this is a bit of a broad explanation, and will not necessarily be reflective of other peoples beliefs or experiences.

As this is from a polytheistic perspective, it will vary considerably from a traditional monotheistic view. As such, keep in mind that for a polytheist there is no need to try and reconcile a belief in nature spirits with monotheistic texts, like the Christian bible, as they have little relevance in our beliefs.

As to angels/demons (but not daemons) both are (generally) aspects of some degree of the Abrahamaic religions, and so beliefs on them will differ between religions, delineations and denominations.

Daemons (daimon) if used in its proper context, refer to a type of deity based in ancient Greek belief (and modern day Hellinisimos and Greek-oriented Pagans) lesser deities, or deified ancestors/hero's.

Hope that provides some perspective.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2011 - 11:30PM #4
Kokoro

Thank you very much for the input! I have been reading what I can find about many different Spirits. I just wanted to hear what people believed from their actual prespectives, rather than to hear a third person text try to tell me what people generally regard as true. I like to hear the beliefs from the people who hold them.

I was provided me with a new name for the Fay here that I have heard only once before, very long ago, and it should help me to find some more specialized information. Thank you again!

“I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks.” - Winston Churchill
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook