Switch to Forum Live View "Instant karma"--does it happen or not?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2011 - 11:37AM #1
DotNotInOz
I've had some times when I really felt that I was given the boon of instant karma which I define as a near-immediate opportunity to do reparation when it becomes evident that some action of mine has produced more harmful results that were unanticipated or unintended. Also, could be that what I did was sort of good but caused some harm that resulted from other factors I couldn't have controlled. Various possibilities.

Anyway, what I call instant karma is a clear opportunity for me to rethink the situation and try again to produce a better outcome.

That might sound like simply making amends when I realize I need to do so, but I'm talking about some kind of usually minor misfortune striking me unexpectedly.  These have typically had an urgency that leads me to wonder why it's happened just then. That in turn leads me to conclude it's a message telling me that I need to do some cleanup work for something I've done that wasn't as it should have been or didn't have a beneficial result.

And when I think through a possible improvement and carry it out, there's a feeling of release and relief that suggests to me I've succeeded.

These aren't all second chances to do better or make better either. Sometimes, after I feel I've accomplished something beneficial, I'll get a completely unexpected call from a friend I've not heard from for some time who wants to do something special with me and expresses regret that we've been out of touch. Or, one time, not long after I'd done a good work for a neighbor, I found twenty dollars lying in the street with no one around whose money it might possibly have been.

Does this seem like what you'd call instant karma, or am I just making more out of an everyday occurrence than is warranted? Any thoughts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2011 - 4:33PM #2
Paravani

Mar 24, 2011 -- 11:37AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

I've had some times when I really felt that I was given the boon of instant karma which I define as a near-immediate opportunity to do reparation when it becomes evident that some action of mine has produced more harmful results that were unanticipated or unintended. Also, could be that what I did was sort of good but caused some harm that resulted from other factors I couldn't have controlled. Various possibilities.

Anyway, what I call instant karma is a clear opportunity for me to rethink the situation and try again to produce a better outcome.

That might sound like simply making amends when I realize I need to do so, but I'm talking about some kind of usually minor misfortune striking me unexpectedly.

Does this seem like what you'd call instant karma, or am I just making more out of an everyday occurrence than is warranted? Any thoughts?

Hello, All!  Hi, Dot!

Oh, YEAH, instant karma happens!

Long ago, when I was young and foolish, I went to a "kegger" party at a house in the University District.  I was standing on the balcony over the front porch when a fellow rode up to the house on his bicycle.  He was wearing his helmet (good boy!), skin-tight bike shorts (which weren't often seen in those pre-Lance Armstrong days), and goggles.

"What a geek!" I said to the young man standing next to me (whom I didn't know).

"Actually, he isn't a geek at all," the young man replied.  "He's my best friend, and he's very cool."

Oops.

A couple of days later I was walking down the street a few blocks away, just minding my own business, when a couple riding together on a motor scooter roared by and randomly shouted at me, "YOU'RE A GEEK!!!"

LOL!

Even way back then I knew enough about karma to find it hilariously funny!

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2011 - 4:44PM #3
Echo_of_me

Hi Dot, Yes, I believe in instant Karma. I feel it's as important as one wants to make it. If one recognizes the need and oppurtunity to make ammends or just to flow in a more desirable direction, that's a big deal, both for it's positive benefit, and because one arrests the flow that is undesirable before it collects momentum and becomes even less desirable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 9:53PM #4
Nay_ho_tze

Hi Dot -

Instant Karma never sounded so good -

it'd always been a kind of 'catch phrase' -
but the way you explain it,
it makes perfect sense ...
I don't think you're making too much out of it at all -
sometimes I think we pass by the 'big' things
because they're hidden inside 'little' things...

Lifted my night, old friend -
thanks -

=]

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 10:12PM #5
Nay_ho_tze
Instant karma differs from 'pay it forward,' yes?

*scrambles to get on the same page*

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 2:58AM #6
DotNotInOz

Quite so, I think, NHT.

I see "paying it forward" as a conscious and deliberate choice to do what we believe to be good or at least a beneficial act. We decide upon a course of action consistent with how our current lifetime has taught us to behave well, morally and ethically, and act in accord with that code in order to aid or benefit another person or persons. Paying it forward is a thankful gesture oftentimes, resulting from our deciding to do something good because another person has done something nice or helpful for us.

Instant karma, on the other hand, has occurred for me somewhat like the old hitting the mule over the head with a 2x4. Suddenly, an opportunity arises which seems directly related to something I've done, either "good" or "bad," which enables me to resolve immediately any lingering aspects of whatever I did (or was done to me sometimes.)

It's important to note, I feel, that choice in this lifetime is our point of power. We can always choose not to take advantage of such opportunities, of course. I believe it's wisest to think through what the potential consequences may be of any such choice.

It's generally easier to resolve right away any potential for karmic "hangers-on" that may become more challenging to deal with later on should we decide to postpone them. Such has been the workings of karma for me, I believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 7:54PM #7
Nay_ho_tze

I have a question –
this reparation you speak of –
is there an ‘expiration’ on a gift of ‘instant karma’?
I mean,
is there some sort of a balance of time
and of timing,
in the process,
or ceremony of reparation?

What I see as 'instant karma' is a stapled fold in time ...

I don’t know if that makes sense –

Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 3:51AM #8
DotNotInOz

Mar 27, 2011 -- 7:54PM, Nay_ho_tze wrote:

I have a question –
this reparation you speak of –
is there an ‘expiration’ on a gift of ‘instant karma’?
I mean,
is there some sort of a balance of time
and of timing,
in the process,
or ceremony of reparation?

A very good question, NHT, that I'd have to answer with a hearty, "I dunno!"

Maybe we call it "instant" because we react quickly to the opportunity. After all, if the situation is truly karmic, it'll be available for us to resolve later, I believe, maybe even in a future lifetime.

What I'm mostly referring to are instances where it seems clear to me that the opportunity is a direct result of something that I've done quite recently or even moments before. As I said initially, that perception may simply be my wishful thinking or misinterpretation, too. "Oh, wow! This happened because I did thus and so a few minutes ago." Might not be that at all but only how I choose to see the circumstance because it gives me a feeling of control that arises out of my belief structure. Ya see what I'm saying here?

What I see as 'instant karma' is a stapled fold in time ...

I don’t know if that makes sense –

I think it kinda does to me. You're saying that we get a glimpse into time that shakes us out of the social mode of time being linear--past-present-future? Because even though I don't actually believe time IS linear, I find myself functioning most of the time as if it is because society is constructed around that belief and I'm so socially conditioned to behave that way.

Something like that?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook