4 years ago  ::  Feb 17, 2011 - 6:25PM #1
Antiochian
Hello, I've been interested in Spiritualism for some time, and was interested in knowing, first of all, what your basic beliefs are.  And then, here's my little list of questions. 

Secondly, how do you become a Spiritualist?  Do you need an "initiation," to recite a "creed," or do you even need to join a formal organization (the nearest Spiritualist church is far away)? 

Can I be a Spiritualist and retain membership in other religious organizations, specifically, my Wiccan coven?  Does Spiritualism mix well with Wicca and other forms of Neopaganism (both tend to emphasize divination, from what I see, and both believe in communing with spirits)?  And on that note, could Spiritualism be considered a "New Age" or Pagan religion (and I don't use "Pagan" in a derogatory manner, I consider myself Pagan.)  Is there a required set of beliefs for members?

When you meet in your churches, what's the ceremony/ritual/service like? 

The other big question was about homosexuality, which seems to have been addressed in another thread, so no need to rehash that here.  Suffice it to say I'm gay and have no desire to belong to a faith that doesn't support me fully.

That's a lot of questions... I do appreciate any answers you may have for me.  Thanks much, and bright blessings...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2011 - 12:38PM #2
Stardove

Feb 17, 2011 -- 6:25PM, Antiochian wrote:

Hello, I've been interested in Spiritualism for some time, and was interested in knowing, first of all, what your basic beliefs are.  And then, here's my little list of questions. 

Secondly, how do you become a Spiritualist?  Do you need an "initiation," to recite a "creed," or do you even need to join a formal organization (the nearest Spiritualist church is far away)? 

Can I be a Spiritualist and retain membership in other religious organizations, specifically, my Wiccan coven?  Does Spiritualism mix well with Wicca and other forms of Neopaganism (both tend to emphasize divination, from what I see, and both believe in communing with spirits)?  And on that note, could Spiritualism be considered a "New Age" or Pagan religion (and I don't use "Pagan" in a derogatory manner, I consider myself Pagan.)  Is there a required set of beliefs for members?

When you meet in your churches, what's the ceremony/ritual/service like? 

The other big question was about homosexuality, which seems to have been addressed in another thread, so no need to rehash that here.  Suffice it to say I'm gay and have no desire to belong to a faith that doesn't support me fully.

That's a lot of questions... I do appreciate any answers you may have for me.  Thanks much, and bright blessings...

Welcome to the Spiritualism Forum.  One can be a Spiritualist without a church.  It would be nice if there were more churches than there are currently.

The belief that the dead communicate with the living, as through a medium.  You can be that medium yourself.  Many of the answers you are seeking can be found at this link:

National Spiritualist Association of Churches

Spiritualism is the Science, Philosophy, and Religion of continuous life, based upon the demonstrated fact of communication, by means of mediumship, with those who live in the Spirit World.

Spiritualism is founded upon a Declaration of Principles, nine in number, received from the Spirit World by means of mediumship. They provide a firm and tangible foundation on which to base the knowledge of Spiritualism.

And:

On March thirty-first, the Anniversary of Modern Spiritualism is observed. In the year of 1848, tiny raps manifesting through the mediumship of the Fox Sisters at Hydesville, New York, announced to the world an intelligence personified beyond the grave. An intelligence that was accepted as based on Natural Law and not miraculous or supernatural as heretofore had been accepted. This is the fact that distinguishes Modern from Ancient Spiritualism.

At the church services I've been to there are messages given from the platform (stage), sometimes a sermon (depending on type of service), singing like any other church service, sometimes healing or requests for healing happen.  The main part of a service would be the messages from the other side to those in attendance.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 7:47AM #3
serenewanderer

A few useful links that I've come across regarding spiritualism:

www.esotericaetc.com/spiritualism.html

www.snu.org.uk/

www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/spiritu...

Also, the obvious super-detailed wikipedia is pretty good too.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook