Switch to Forum Live View Sleep and Other States of Unconsciousness
5 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2009 - 5:26PM #1
Storm15918

When someone is asleep and not dreaming, or if they have been knocked out, or even under anesthesia for a surgery, what is their soul doing? If they're totally unconscious in these states, then doesn't that sort of go against the idea of a soul? I ask this not to attack anyone, but to hopefully find some insight. I believe in a soul but have run into this question and can't seem to find an answer. It seems to support the materialist point of view, as much as I disagree with that view point. How can the soul exist and be our consciousness if we can be unconscious from a bodily injury or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2009 - 12:25PM #2
Stardove

I would say all is at rest.  During sleep our body and mind are at rest.  Unless we get into rem sleep all is resting.  The soul within is always present.  IMO.

Sometimes, if I wake in the middle of the night or can't go to sleep I will continue to lay in bed knowing my body also needs rest.

If someone is medically brain dead then the soul has already left the body. IMO.  People in  a coma with brain activity are still attached to the earth plane.  Some upon waking remember things that took place while they were in the coma.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2009 - 5:11PM #3
Sephiroth666

Aug 19, 2009 -- 5:26PM, Storm15918 wrote:

When someone is asleep and not dreaming, or if they have been knocked out, or even under anesthesia for a surgery, what is their soul doing? If they're totally unconscious in these states, then doesn't that sort of go against the idea of a soul? I ask this not to attack anyone, but to hopefully find some insight. I believe in a soul but have run into this question and can't seem to find an answer. It seems to support the materialist point of view, as much as I disagree with that view point. How can the soul exist and be our consciousness if we can be unconscious from a bodily injury or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Nope, I have been knocked out before, and I started to dream, and I was only out for like 10 or fifteen seconds. The soul is always aware, and always awake. it rests when our brain does in the dream realm or during times of relaxation, but it definitely is not unconscious during unconscoiousness

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2009 - 1:40PM #4
francisvevea

I believe that your soul is with you within all planes of consciousness.  Your brain works differently within these various levels of conscousness so even though you think the soul is not there during rest, it's really your brain perception of that.

I have various types of planes that my dream state brings me to and each time I dream, they can be different based upon the plane in which I am in.  I think this is the same for everyone, it's just a matter of having the ability to remember your dream consciousness state experiences.

I recommend reading a book I just finished, she does a fabulous job describing this kind of experience through her stroke.  "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor P.hd.  She recounts her experience having a stroke, she happens to be a Neuroscience expert, so it's very intriguing.  But she all the more validates to me that we are one in spirit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2009 - 11:00PM #5
Stardove

Dec 30, 2009 -- 1:40PM, francisvevea wrote:

I believe that your soul is with you within all planes of consciousness.  Your brain works differently within these various levels of conscousness so even though you think the soul is not there during rest, it's really your brain perception of that.

I have various types of planes that my dream state brings me to and each time I dream, they can be different based upon the plane in which I am in.  I think this is the same for everyone, it's just a matter of having the ability to remember your dream consciousness state experiences.

I recommend reading a book I just finished, she does a fabulous job describing this kind of experience through her stroke.  "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor P.hd.  She recounts her experience having a stroke, she happens to be a Neuroscience expert, so it's very intriguing.  But she all the more validates to me that we are one in spirit.

I haven't read the book, but this video gives a look perhaps into her story. 

It is fascinating!

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2009 - 11:09AM #6
francisvevea

Thanks Stardove!  This is awesome,  I haven't seen her speak yet, very inspiring!

Peace and Love in this New Year!

FV

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2009 - 12:00PM #7
Stardove

Dec 31, 2009 -- 11:09AM, francisvevea wrote:

Thanks Stardove!  This is awesome,  I haven't seen her speak yet, very inspiring!

Peace and Love in this New Year!

FV

Francisvervea,

You are most welcome.  I knew exactly who you were posting about.  She is amazing.

Happy New Year!  May it be filled with many blessings!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook