Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ouija "Dangers" vs Other Types of Divination
5 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2009 - 11:47AM #1
Brownowl33

The main thing I hear about Ouija boards, from everybody from the usual Christian sorts all the way to practicing Witches and Spiritualists, is that talking boards are somehow "dangerous" and attract lower entities, and that to use one is to invite unpleasantness.  Why, though?  Why is this one method supposedly so risky, but using pendulums/cards/crystals considered less so?

The only thing I have heard that makes even the least bit of sense is that when using a talking board, YOU are the instrument whereas when using a pendulum or something it's an external device being manipulated.  Not being a Christian, I don't hold much belief in the "everything but Jesus is evil!" nonsense, but even fellow pagans have reported scary stuff.  Clearly, though, it can't be that bad; talking boards have been immensely popular, and there certainly isn't a mass epidemic of possession or anything like that.

Any insights?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 2:49PM #2
Urukai

Interesting topic,

One that causes me to itch sometimes...

There does seem to be a lot of scary campfire stories about the Ouija board. Stories of people playing with the board and evil entities coming through. Telekinetic events occuring, Cold spots, furniture moving...things being seen and heard... 

This is a tool that a mythos has been built up around. People hear the scary stories, People remember what makes them afraid. The stories and the fears and the energy builds up a life of its own.

Suddenly the board has powers. It is a doorway for eval entities that want to destory humanity...

Hmmmm no - I gotta say imo Ouija is no different than other divination tool.  What happens depends on the user's life experience, attitude and maturity level.  You want a scary experience more than likely you will have one. You come at this with a more grown up attitude the experience will likely reflect that.

Does using this thing open doors. Yes the veil between worlds is thin and within yourself as much as anywhere else. If a person is not ready to handle a new experience coupled with even a small amount of latent psychic ability than I would advise backing away from the board, the cards or any other divination tool until they are better grounded and feel more able to handle a broader perspective doing these sort of things brings on.

Ouija is often presented as a game, a spooky game at that, so a lot of people young and old get a hold of it wanting to play and scare themselves silly with. Starting out with that attitude and fears that have often been embedded early on in life things are going to happen.

Is the board evil - no - it is neutral - the same as any other tool.  Is it dangerous? That depends on how off center, off balanced the user is --the same as with any other tool.  A car can be dangerous too, a hammer, the electricity in your house....etc

What you do, the attitude you brings, the intent you have often determines the outcome...

Here is a link to a youtube video that discusses Ouija in a calm rational manner. There is also a short demo at the end of the vid...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3LGfjRq4-U

Hugs and Much Love

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2009 - 12:34PM #3
Confusedman

My first instinct when I hear about the dangers of oujia boards and such is that it's a bunch of teenagers over at a slumber party and they decide to pull out a ouija board and scare themselves silly.  Then a bunch of supersticious parents hear about it and say, " I told you so.  Play with the devil and you're gonna get burnt!"

A bunch of rumors get out of hand and feed off eachother.

I've never actually touched a ouija board though so I can't be for sure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2009 - 5:42PM #4
catboxer

I haven't handled a Ouija since I was a little tyke. But I remember being kind of fascinated then, by how the thing worked.

I left it back in childhood many, many years ago and have always assumed that's where it belongs -- in childhood.

Whenever I read about it now it sounds like a young girl type of thing -- you know, the sort of pretense young gals might use to make up a scary story to frighten each other with. 

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2009 - 3:01PM #5
Wendyness

Read the Book of Enoch and learn about the "Fallen Angels", which are lower entities and what we would call demons.  There are other dimensions of life that we cannot see with the human eye.  They enter through the unconscious.  In my experience there is no doubt as to the existence of this.  Why tempt anything evil?  Are you prepared to encounter evil?  Do you know how to protect yourself from evil?  This is not a game, it is serious business and you better know what the consequences are.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2009 - 9:39PM #6
catboxer

Wendyness, probably the best and politest way for me to respond to your post is to say that even though I believe tarot and other omens possess a certain validity, or potential validity, I do not subscribe to occultism in any form. So when you speak to me of the Book of Enoch, or demons, angels, etc., we're not at all on the same page.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 6:09PM #7
Wendyness

Catboxer,

How can I put it politely?  Thank God we are not all on the same page!!  Life is more interesting with differences, and possibly you might learn something from our differences.  Does the bible hold any value of symbolism for you?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 7:09PM #8
catboxer

Hi again, and yes it does.

Although the main attraction of the Bible for me has always been the language of the King James version. Besides claims made for the Bible as prophecy, wisdom, and so forth, some of us recognize it as great literature.

As far as I know, its only mention of Enoch is in Genesis V: 19-24, where he appears as the son of Jared and father of Methuselah, the man whose claim of extreme longevity has never been equalled.

Verse 24 says rather cryptically that "Enoch walked with God and he was not; for God tooke him." This leads me to believe the verse is saying that God did not take Enoch in the usual way; that instead he was here one second and gone the next.

I don't know if that's the correct interpretation or not, and if it is I don't know if the event it describes is true or not, historically speaking. It sounds to me much more the province of myth than history.

Regards,

Dave B

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2009 - 8:18PM #9
Urukai

Sep 18, 2009 -- 3:01PM, Wendyness wrote:

Read the Book of Enoch and learn about the "Fallen Angels", which are lower entities and what we would call demons.  There are other dimensions of life that we cannot see with the human eye.  They enter through the unconscious.  In my experience there is no doubt as to the existence of this.  Why tempt anything evil?  Are you prepared to encounter evil?  Do you know how to protect yourself from evil?  This is not a game, it is serious business and you better know what the consequences are.

Why tempt anything evil?

Why walk across the street? Why chance getting married?  Why explore inner or outer space?

Why dare any venture into the unknown at all?

Exploration comes with risks and discovery is all the more valued because of the chances taken...

Why tempt fate? Why try at all...

Well you don't have to...others might though and who knows what they will discover...

That is what makes life interesting....

Experiencing and trying to bring back the information...

There is an old saying that goes something like a ship is safe in a harbour but that is not

what a ship is for...

Regards

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2009 - 12:05AM #10
Wendyness

Catboxer,

The Book of Enoch was found in 1948 along with the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Very important book that was left out of the canon.   You will also find the Book of Enoch referenced in the New Testament in Jude, and Hebrews.  The reasons as to why this important book was left out is of much debate and speculation.  However, many believe it was left out because the church did not want the common man to have much knowledge about the angels.  It's all about the angels and the fall of angels, the judgement and much more importantly the prophecy of Christ.  Historically it has great value and should be looked at.  In Jewish mysticism Enoch, after he was taken by God and did not die, was transformed into the angel Metatron, he is the highest ranking angel in Jewish myth and very important in Kabbalah.  In other literature Enoch is also associated with Hermes in mythology.  Google Enoch and the tarot and be very surprised.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook