Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View IS SORCERY A THING OF THE PAST?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 12:30PM #1
Priestessmack

ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING FACT THAT BOGGLES MY MIND IS THE FACT THAT MANY PEOPLE CLAIM TO BE EGYPTOLOGISTS AND FAIL TO REALIZE THAT SORCERY WAS SOMETHING ANCIENT EGYPTIANS USED.  THE PAPYRUS IS BELIEVED TO BE OLDER THAN THE BIBLE AND THE BIBLE IS SUPPOSEDLY DERIVED FROM MANY OF THE PAPYRUS' WRITINGS.  IT'S OKAY TO BE SPIRITUAL BUT IT IS NOT OKAY TO PRACTICE SORCERY.  THE IDEA THAT YOU CAN CHANGE EVENTS OR PEOPLE INTO SOMETHING MANIPULATED AND CONTROLLED SCARES SOME.  OTHER GOVERNMENT SYSTEMS AND POLITICAL LEADERS ARE KNOWN TO HAVE MANIPULATED, CONTROLLED, LIE, AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO CONTROL IT'S CITIZENS BUT TO THINK THAT SOMEONE CAN THROW SOMETHING IN A CAULDRON OR SPEAK A FEW RIDDLES IS TOO MUCH!  WHAT ABOUT PSYCH MEDS?  THEY ALTER THE WAY YOU THINK, WOULDN'T THAT BE CONSIDERED SORCERY?  WHY ARE SUPERNATURAL OCCURRENCES VIEWED AS TABOO?  I WOULD THINK THAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPLAINABLE HAPPENED, THAT IS SIGNIFICANT AND A SIGN OF DIVINE INTERVENTION.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2009 - 11:56AM #2
Priestessmack

I AM AMAZED THAT I GOT NO RESPONSES FROM THIS POST.  EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT ANCIENT EGYPT AND IT'S MYSTERIES BUT NO ONE WANTS TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY POST ABOUT SORCERY.  IT MAY BE THAT SIMON THE APOSTLE IS TRYING TO GIVE A MESSAGE, REMEMBER?  NO ONE WOULD ACKNOWLEDGE HIM AND HE WANTED SOME RECOGNITION.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2009 - 9:32PM #3
Teufelhex

The Brothers of the Great Lodge have moved beyond the Snake eating contests of Moses vs. Pharaoh.

And the wisdom of the Cheshire Cat holds true today:

"We are all Mad here"

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2009 - 1:19PM #4
Urukai

Aug 13, 2009 -- 12:30PM, Priestessmack wrote:

ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING FACT THAT BOGGLES MY MIND IS THE FACT THAT MANY PEOPLE CLAIM TO BE EGYPTOLOGISTS AND FAIL TO REALIZE THAT SORCERY WAS SOMETHING ANCIENT EGYPTIANS USED.  THE PAPYRUS IS BELIEVED TO BE OLDER THAN THE BIBLE AND THE BIBLE IS SUPPOSEDLY DERIVED FROM MANY OF THE PAPYRUS' WRITINGS.  IT'S OKAY TO BE SPIRITUAL BUT IT IS NOT OKAY TO PRACTICE SORCERY.  THE IDEA THAT YOU CAN CHANGE EVENTS OR PEOPLE INTO SOMETHING MANIPULATED AND CONTROLLED SCARES SOME.  OTHER GOVERNMENT SYSTEMS AND POLITICAL LEADERS ARE KNOWN TO HAVE MANIPULATED, CONTROLLED, LIE, AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO CONTROL IT'S CITIZENS BUT TO THINK THAT SOMEONE CAN THROW SOMETHING IN A CAULDRON OR SPEAK A FEW RIDDLES IS TOO MUCH!  WHAT ABOUT PSYCH MEDS?  THEY ALTER THE WAY YOU THINK, WOULDN'T THAT BE CONSIDERED SORCERY?  WHY ARE SUPERNATURAL OCCURRENCES VIEWED AS TABOO?  I WOULD THINK THAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPLAINABLE HAPPENED, THAT IS SIGNIFICANT AND A SIGN OF DIVINE INTERVENTION.

Yes Egyptians used magick ie sorcery and yes it was older than Christianity.  

Sorcery; Magick ie: causing change in effect with one's will, ones knowledge and a little psychic ability.

The flavor of the sorcery or magick depends on the ethnic bend ie the culture that is practing the sorcery.

Christians practice and practiced magick ie sorcery as much as any other culture.

"IT'S OKAY TO BE SPIRITUAL BUT IT IS NOT OKAY TO PRACTICE SORCERY. " 

That is a matter of opinion. My opinion is essentially smoke em if you've got em. Use the ability if you have it - just don't be a jerk about it.  Magick or sorcery doesn't have to have negative connotations...

"WHAT ABOUT PSYCH MEDS?  THEY ALTER THE WAY YOU THINK, WOULDN'T THAT BE CONSIDERED SORCERY? "

How are these meds being administered and for what purpose?

Does the person know they are taking psych meds? Are they taking the meds willingly? Are they taking the meds to feel better or be healed.   

There is more to sorcery and magick than altering the way a person thinks... 

"WHY ARE SUPERNATURAL OCCURRENCES VIEWED AS TABOO?" 

This is a seperate topic as supernatural occurrences do not necessarily include sorcery or magick...

Why is sorcery ie magick and witchcraft viewed as taboo? 

Because in using these techniques and abilities it leaves out the middle man. No church is required. No shaman, no priest, no government doctors. Anyone can experience the divine. Anyone can take care of themselves and their bodies to some extent and anyone can change their environment to suit them as they wish.

Uncontrolled independent individuals who can think for themselves and whom have the power to effect change,  have always been perceived as taboo, as some kind of threat to society.

Regards

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2009 - 2:18PM #5
Priestessmack

I THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNBIASED OPINION ABOUT MAGIC AND SORCERY.  I NEVER THOUGHT OF IT LIKE ONE WOULD BE VIEWED AS TABOO BECAUSE THEY CAN THINK FOR THEMSELVES OR DON'T NEED THE MIDDLE MAN TO EFFECT CHANGE.  SOME PEOPLE DO REGARD WITCHCRAFT AS UNACCEPTABLE AND MANY POINT OUT WHAT DOES WITCHCRAFT HAVE TO DO WITH GOD AND/OR RELIGION.  PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT THE APOSTLE SIMON, WHO WAS A SORCERER AND WANTED ACKNOWLEDGMENT.  ALL OF THE  APOSTLES MAKE UP TWELVE PLUS JESUS CHRIST.  THAT IS THIRTEEN MEMBERS.  A COVEN THAT HAS THIRTEEN MEMBERS IS VIEWED AS MAGICAL AND HAVE SPECIAL ABILITIES.  ALMOST EVRYBODY KNOWS ABOUT HOW THIRTEEN IS ASSOCIATED WITH MAGIC.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2009 - 6:24PM #6
Urukai

"SOME PEOPLE DO REGARD WITCHCRAFT AS UNACCEPTABLE AND MANY POINT OUT WHAT DOES WITCHCRAFT HAVE TO DO WITH GOD AND/OR RELIGION."

That depends on who you ask. The craft can be apart of a religious practice or a staple of life

in and of itself.   Witchcraft/sorcery techniques and abilities can be framed in a religious

context or simply used on their own.

"PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT THE APOSTLE SIMON, WHO WAS A SORCERER AND WANTED ACKNOWLEDGMENT."

Interesting to know and I did not know that.

"ALL OF THE  APOSTLES MAKE UP TWELVE PLUS JESUS CHRIST.  THAT IS THIRTEEN MEMBERS. "

Also interesting but debatable especially if you count Mary as one of Jesus diciples...

"A COVEN THAT HAS THIRTEEN MEMBERS IS VIEWED AS MAGICAL AND HAVE SPECIAL ABILITIES.  ALMOST EVRYBODY KNOWS ABOUT HOW THIRTEEN IS ASSOCIATED WITH MAGIC."

A functioning coven can have varying numbers. Small is often more functional because of the focus that can be given to individual covens members and their needs.

Groves or teaching covens are often larger as are celebratory or open events which can involve inviting hundreds of people for a special occasion.   It is very rare that any coven will actually have 13 members.

As for 13 being associated with magick the number does have some connections as in the lunar cycle but not anymore than any other number say the number 5. The pentagram has a point for each element and one more the spirit (will)  that binds it altogether and makes magick work.   

If I may ask what are the associations that that you know of that connect the number 13 and magick ie sorcery?

Regards

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2009 - 6:46PM #7
Priestessmack

I ASSOCIATE THIRTEEN WITH MAGIC BCAUSE IT IS AN ODD NUMBER.  OVER A DOZEN AND UNDER 20.  ALSO IT IS THE START OF THE TEENAGE YEARS.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2009 - 12:32PM #8
Urukai

Aug 28, 2009 -- 6:46PM, Priestessmack wrote:

I ASSOCIATE THIRTEEN WITH MAGIC BCAUSE IT IS AN ODD NUMBER.  OVER A DOZEN AND UNDER 20.  ALSO IT IS THE START OF THE TEENAGE YEARS.

Sorry it took me a bit to reply...

I guess I would say any number can be magickal even or odd, small or large depending on

the significance we give it and having a teenager myself I can't really argue that the start of

the teenage years is among other things magickal....

Blessings

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2009 - 9:52PM #9
Enoch327

The term may be a thing of the past, but its practice continues.   I remember reading in one of my books that the meaning of magic is simply to create.  So who isn't praticing sorcery?  I think the reason it isn't talked about more is that it is scary.  It is okay to control people and situations through most means except by casting a spell.   A Sunday school class prays for good weather for a retreat and they get it.  Glory to God!   But if a witch casts a spell so that a farmer gets needed rain for his crops that is somehow evil.  Frankly, I find the practice of magick to be more effective than the practice of prayer.  Yet there is room for both.  What I am into now is the creation and maintenance of Tulpas.   There is not much literature out there.  So I am doing research myself.  And creating.  And sometimes succeeding.

Enoch

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2009 - 4:23PM #10
Enoch327

I know maybe too much about these things.  Egregore is the term I use as a catch all for all these things.  Servitor is like a machine that does simple things.  Tulpa is modeled on  a person.  Famaliar is based on an animal.  Thoughtform, Godform, golem, artificial elemental, psychogon, and others describe similar ideas.  I guess egregore technically means a thoughtform conciously formed by a group.  I feel like I've got my PHD and now I want to know more and I can't find it.  But I am feeling my way and my small army of tulpas function well as research assistants. Or assistants in general.  I have them organized as a sort of cabinet.   I took  several books of spells and that is what I used as pattern for my servitors.  So a servitor is like a semi-permanent spell.  For raw power, I am finding that famaliars are suited well to the task.  I am a solitary practioner and that works well for me.  There are no roll call votes as to what I decide to do.  I just summon my egregores and do some magick.  Or sorcery. 

Enoch

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook