Switch to Forum Live View Help! Advice for Overcoming Fear!
5 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2009 - 9:26PM #1
Brownowl33

This will sound really goofy, but as much as I want to develop my mediumship skills, I am also TERRIFIED of the idea of "ghosts."  I don't really fear the idea of receiving messages, butI tried my hand at scrying using a mirror (based on Raymond Moody's psychomanteum research) but had to stop after a few minutes because I was afraid of seeing something scary.  I am taking all possible precautions, using prayers for protection and such, but I wonder how I can reassure myself that I am doing the right thing.

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 2:10PM #2
Stardove

Since you are using protection you need to know you are protected from ghosts.  Call upon your protector guide to be your door keeper or another guide.  You don't need to have a name, you might  just say Protector Guide be my doorkeeper.  If you do this then you guide will stand between you and the spirit world and not allow any negative entities to come through.

Before doing spirit work I have a prayer which goes something like this:

I surround myself in the white light of God and I will I shall come away from this experience (circle, channeling, meditation, etc.) as well or better than when I began.

Another suggestion is to make a contract with your guidance.  In the contract write what you are willing to do spiritually and sign it.

In other words if you will channel guides, but not dead people then that should be in the contract.  A contract is yours to write and you decide what you want to include.

I am reminded of a mirror meditation I did in the past.  In candle light I stared at myself in a mirror.  All these different faces began to appear pretty rapidly.  The thought is these faces are past lives one has lived.  There was one female with dark hair and my heart began to race.  I pulled myself out of the meditation not understanding the fear in seeing her face.

While standing looking into another mirror (I was in my bathroom sitting on floor at first) I decided to see if I could see the lady again.  When I did just that my heart still raced, but not as bad as the first time.  What came through was in this past life I was considered a witch and was killed.  It was the manor of death which brought on the fear, when I saw myself from the past.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2009 - 4:33PM #3
Brownowl33

Thanks!  I especially like the prayer you named.  I am so much afraid of "dead people" per se, I would just rather not see a spirit with my eyes (this has happened to me before, and while I don't think it was something evil, it unnerved me and I would rather not do it again.)  I don't have any problem with getting messages or even sensing a spirit, though.

Really, I think it's just leftover from my Catholic upbrining, where we were told to be afraid of everything and that there were demons everywhere waiting to get us.  I know that's not true, but it's hard to get it out of your head.

I will follow your suggestions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2009 - 1:29PM #4
Stardove

Very good.  Yes we all have that inner child who can drags the teachings of the past into the present.  Mine was in the Southern Baptist tradition.  As a young adult I began to question all the fear, demons, the devil, etc. that I was raised up with. 

There comes a point when as adults we can teach our inner child that we have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2009 - 12:40PM #5
Stardove

Daniella, 

Welcome to the Spiritualism forum and thanks for the excellent post about fear.

I believe when we worry about or fear something it is like calling the things we worry or are fearful to us.  Practicing positive thinking really can make a difference in our lives.  IMO.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook