Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View What are your favorite Tarot / Oracle decks?
4 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2010 - 8:10PM #11
BeerLover

Hi Ashley!

I've been holding off responding until I actually had something of substance to say.  If you have followed this thread, you know I am the proud owner of two decks.  The companion book to my Gilded deck has a lot to say about the suits and what the numbers represent.  Here it is:

Wands:  (Air) Career, projects, inspiration
Cups: (water) Emotions, creativity, relationships, LOVE
Swords: (Fire) Intellect, challenges, action, ways of thinking
Pentacles: (Earth) Money, material posessions, resources

Aces: New beginnings, opportunity, a gift has been presented to you.
Twos: Choices, duality, at a crossroads
Threes: Full expression of the suit, achievement, {think triangle}
Fours:  Stability, structure, {think table with four legs, a square}
Fives: Conflict, loss, instability, opportunity for change
Sixes: Communication, problem solving, cooperation
Sevens: Reflection, assessment, motives
Eights: Movement, action, change, power
Nines: Fruition, attainment
Tens: Completion, end of the cycle, mastery, hinting at a new beginning

It's a shame your deck doesn't have pictures on all the cards, really.  The Three of Swords, for example, is known as the "heartbreak" card because it always shows three swords piercing a heart.  You don't get that from the numbers.  Nevertheless, the cards are only a tool to begin with, not anything special in themselves.  You can even use regular playing cards to do tarot.  It's not the cards, it's all you baby.

Your journey into the world of tarot begins.  Hopefully it will be a rich and rewarding journey.

BeerLover

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2010 - 12:10AM #12
jessica

mermaids deck...also more renaissance..kat black..golden tarot

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 10:46AM #13
Golden_man

Hi there!

I am new to Tarot so I own only one deck the Stairs of Gold Tarot, but I think its rare. It has very beautiful Major Arcanas but rather boring Minor Arcanas. I am thinking of buying Rider-Waite tarot and Alister Crowley Tarot, because I have his Book of Toth. But I don't understand does his deck has a different readings than others because he renamed some Major Arcanas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 3:43PM #14
Zavist

Robin Wood Tarot Deck is my favorite mostly for its pagan themes that radiate with my own belief system.

I also am a fan of the Thoth deck by Crowley and the Rider-waite deck as well as the golden dawn deck.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 10:57AM #15
Sym

There are no favorites.
It all depends on when I ask them things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 10:38AM #16
catboxer

My favorite tarot deck has always been the Tarot de Marseilles, the prototype of modern packs and the most common pattern for centuries, right up until modern times. I have a copy of the TdM, newly-printed and re-colored by Philippe Camoin and Alejandro Jodorowsky in the 90's.

en.camoin.com/tarot/Tarot-Marseille-Camo...

I also own the original cards of a closely-related Tarot de Besançon, printed from woodblocks and colored using stencils in the early 19th century. This version differed from the TdM in that it substituted the Roman gods Juno and Jupiter for the Female Pope (trump II) and Pope (V) in order to placate the local Church authorities in southern France, who condemned the original tarot pictures of the popes male and female as blasphemous. I'm awed by the age and authenticity of these cards, which are heavily thumbed, indicating that they were used for play, and still have the smell of strong tobacco about them.

Another favorite is my reproduction of the Visconti-Sforza cards, the earliest (1450) nearly-complete tarot pack, and probably the most beautiful deck ever made.

www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/visconti-s...

Finally, I have my own deck, which I conceived and executed between 1997 and 2001, the Deck of 74. Those are the ones I use most often for reading, although I've frequently used the Tarots of Marseilles and Besançon for that purpose.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2011 - 9:16PM #17
jeannecarol

I'm also on the Aeclectic Tarot forum (under a different name) and I have a small collection (small by the standards of diehard collectors!) of about 3 dozen, mostly Tarot and a few oracles. But my favorites are:

Morgan Greer

Hanson-Roberts

Robin Wood

Arcus Arcanum

Arthurian (Hallowquest)

(drat! I hate that hitting Enter makes for skipped lines! What a waste of space when you want to make a list!) Seeing mention of the Stairs of Gold makes me smile, because that was my first deck ever and though I rarely use it I love to just take it out and ogle it. I really need to learn about those angel names on some of the minors.

I study cards more than I read with them; I'm out of practice reading for others, and I get stage-fright easily. But studying the cards is a never-ending source of pleasure. I've been into Tarot for over 20 years now, maybe closer to 30.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook