Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Alien Abduction Defined
5 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2009 - 12:05AM #1
religionfree

Budd Hopkins is one of the most visible and trusted ufologists in our country.  He has worked with more than a thousand people who have reported abduction experiences over the past twenty years.

One of his lectures below, is filled with human interest stories as well as photos and explanations of why aliens abduct humans and what happens to these while they are under the influence of aliens.

He's an author who has written several books over the years about this issue and happens to be very believable and very down to earth.  Okay, that was a play on words.

Budd Hopkins 3-7-2004 UFO Abduction Lecture 2 hrs.

UFO Evidence-Budd Hopkins

Budd Hopkins-Wikipedia

"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2009 - 12:28AM #2
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Note that while a relaxed (site-wide) ROC standard applied to the discussion on that forum, the tighter forum ROCs apply to discussion on this thread from this point forward.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 12:14AM #3
Blü

Alien abductions have in common that -

* they're always invisible to others,

* they never result in someone being missed from an empty bed and then seen to reappear without explanation (which could be video'd),

* they never result in purported alien artifacts being found (which could be examined), and

* just like NDEs, OBEs and religious visions, they never result in the subject returning with information about reality that he or she didn't previously know.

That strongly suggests a psychological/neurological origin.

This link refers to the hypothesis that the most usually correct explanation of the subjective phenomenon is sleep paralysis and refers to a scientific enquiry of this kind -

I reasoned that people who have been abducted (whether they consciously recall it or not) should have a better knowledge of the appearance and behavior of aliens than people who have not. ...

I decided to relax the subjects and tell them an abduction story, and then ask them to fill in missing details and draw the aliens they had seen in their imagination. ...

These results provide no evidence that people who reported more of the indicator experiences had a better idea of what an alien should look like or what should happen during an abduction. If real gray aliens are abducting people from Earth, and the Roper Poll is correct in associating the indicator experiences with abduction, then we should expect such a relationship. Its absence in a relatively large sample casts doubt on these premises.

That doesn't show that the correct answer is always sleep paralysis, of course.  But abduction seems likely to be a phenomenon of that kind, with cultural overlays (eg concepts of aliens from TV and other media).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 8:47PM #4
religionfree

Jun 15, 2009 -- 12:14AM, Blü wrote:

Alien abductions have in common that -

* they're always invisible to others, not always.  In the video in the OP of Budd Hopkins, he tells of an incident that proves this to be incorrect.  I believe it was a female child who was abducted by aliens from a multi-story building while sleeping in bed.  As the space ship hovered, several eye witnesses saw and experienced the entire thing.  The girl was floated from her bed, through the air while asleep and brought up into the ship which then sped away.  People saw this.  They reported it.  She was then returned later.

* they never result in someone being missed from an empty bed and then seen to reappear without explanation (which could be video'd), Please consider the fact that the scientific technology of the thousands, if not millions, of universal life-forms out there in the great beyond, is on average, of about 10,000 years ahead of our own.  This also applies to their medical advances and their knowledge in general including spiritual beliefs.

* they never result in purported alien artifacts being found (which could be examined), and  By this, do you mean that the aliens would allow someone to purposely bring something back with them?  Remember, that space ships have crashed here on earth and Area 51 has a storage of "alien artifacts" that you and I will never see.  And, in addition, even if there was something brought back, we most likely would not have a clue as to what it is or what to do with it.

* just like NDEs, OBEs and religious visions, they never result in the subject returning with information about reality that he or she didn't previously know.  By your statement, I can tell that you have not read up on this subject nor have you read, heard or experienced the first-hand accounts of those who have been abducted who have complete recall.  There are many millions of estimated people world-wide who have been abducted and do not remember anything.

That strongly suggests a psychological/neurological origin.

This link refers to the hypothesis that the most usually correct explanation of the subjective phenomenon is sleep paralysis and refers to a scientific enquiry of this kind -

I reasoned that people who have been abducted (whether they consciously recall it or not) should have a better knowledge of the appearance and behavior of aliens than people who have not. ...  They do.  Look up Jim Sparks and/or read his book, The Keepers.  Sparks has interviews out on the internet with testimony that will help to answer some of these charges.

Once again, their science and technology is highly advanced compared to our measly understanding.

You might also take a BN trip over to the Conspiracy Theories board.  I have posted a lot of this information over there.

I decided to relax the subjects and tell them an abduction story, and then ask them to fill in missing details and draw the aliens they had seen in their imagination. ...

These results provide no evidence that people who reported more of the indicator experiences had a better idea of what an alien should look like or what should happen during an abduction. If real gray aliens are abducting people from Earth, and the Roper Poll is correct in associating the indicator experiences with abduction, then we should expect such a relationship. Its absence in a relatively large sample casts doubt on these premises.

That doesn't show that the correct answer is always sleep paralysis, of course.  But abduction seems likely to be a phenomenon of that kind, with cultural overlays (eg concepts of aliens from TV and other media).

"When I don't know who I Am, I follow You
When I know who I am, You & I are One"

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2009 - 9:13AM #5
Blü

Ah, religionfree

It seems our paths are doomed never to cross.  Evidence that satisfies you doesn't satisfy me, and no doubt vice versa.

I wish you a fascinating voyage of exploration.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2009 - 11:53PM #6
williejhonlo

Jun 20, 2009 -- 9:13AM, Blü wrote:

Ah, religionfree

It seems our paths are doomed never to cross.  Evidence that satisfies you doesn't satisfy me, and no doubt vice versa.

I wish you a fascinating voyage of exploration.

Do you believe that there is life in the universe beyond our own planet blu?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2009 - 11:58PM #7
Slipnish

I think sleep paralysis explains a LOT of the experiences.  I'm not sure it explains them all.  Anyone know about this phenomena across cultures?  I seem to recall hearing somewhere that not all cultures seem to experience this...whatever it is.

Blu-

Do you think the media and exposure to the concept of the grays is what leads so many to have 'similar' experiences?

I'm fascinated by the fact that this phenomena seems to fall across cultural and social barriers in the U.S. anyway.

(Finally something weird that doesn't just happen below the Mason-Dixon line.  Ha!)

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

~Any Creationist~
(But honestly Douglas Adams)

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2009 - 9:45PM #8
Blü

Willie

Do you believe that there is life in the universe beyond our own planet blu?

I've wavered on this question over the years.  I began (as a kid on a huge diet of SF) thinking other races were likely.  Then I didn't think about it for a lo-o-o-ng time.  When I came back to it, I was very doubtful.  It's not as though life won't happen out there, but it by no means follows that it'll evolve into intelligent life - and if it does, of a kind we'd recognize.

And even if it did, its concerns may not be ours.  Consider Imperial China - they had a very stable system of advancement through a narrow view of learning and accomplishment.  If an entire species settles into such a stable pattern, why would they bother to invent anything or watch the skies if writing intellectual poems is what gets you preferment?  And where the inventors and explorers are regarded as dilettantes and harmless cranks?

Yet maybe while there are many pathways to intelligent life, there's only one kind of result.  Since what we're really looking for in the stars is ourselves, I'm not sure if we ought to hope so or not.

So my present view is, Far too little information.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2009 - 9:48PM #9
Blü

Slip

Do you think the media and exposure to the concept of the grays is what leads so many to have 'similar' experiences?

I'm sure of it.  I was around when LGM was the acknowledged acronym for visiting aliens - Little Green Men.  The gray is a novelty - I associate it with Whitney Strieber - and will have its day too.

That's where the link above (#3) is interesting - what IS the public stereotype?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2009 - 2:11PM #10
SeraphimR

Jun 25, 2009 -- 9:48PM, Blü wrote:

Slip

I'm sure of it.  I was around when LGM was the acknowledged acronym for visiting aliens - Little Green Men.  The gray is a novelty - I associate it with Whitney Strieber - and will have its day too.

That's where the link above (#3) is interesting - what IS the public stereotype?

For what it is worth, I once saw some prehistoric petroglyphs in China that featured concentric circles, arrays of dots, stick figures of copulating couples, and faces that strongly resembled the third and fourth photographs here:

www.ufomystic.com/wake-up-down-there/ali...

Who knows what they are supposed to represent.  But it was creepy.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook