Switch to Forum Live View What is Stregoneria vs Stregheria
6 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 8:51PM #1
DAH54
So anyone here care to talk about Stregoneria vs Stregheria? :)

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 9:10PM #2
Bearsky
I suspect that unless your family is deeply rooted in southern Italy what any of us know is from the web and/or a couple of books in English that I have no way to assess.  Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 19, 2008 - 12:04PM #3
Bearsky
I did knock about a bit to here where I'd heard these terms and it was in one of these 2 books.  Can't remember which I read:

Italian Witchcraft: The Old Religion of Southern Europe by Raven Grimassi

Ways Of The Strega: Italian Witchcraft: Its Legends, Lore, & Spells (Llewellyn's World Religion & Magick Series) by Raven Grimassi

I remember vaguely that the tradition was strongest amongst peasant farming families in Souther Italy.  The part that fascinated me was that much of the male farmer's magic involved leaving their bodies and flying over their fields to guard them at night.  Dennis

DAH 54:  Hi! I'm curious why you asked.  Is your family connected back to this tradition?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 3:35PM #4
sfatula2000
I also recommend Charles Godfrey Leland's Aradia: or the Gospel of the Witches.  It has some things in Italian, followed by the translation in English, with commentary in English.  It was (re?)printed in 2003, so it should be available.  While not specifically about Stregoneria or Stregheria as such, it gives a lot of good insight into La Vecchia Religione (the Old Religion).  As a warm-up, I read Doreen Valiente's An ABC of Witchcraft, which also gave a lot of good historical information.

I guess now you know what my summer reading list is like. ;-P

sfatula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 4:33PM #5
DAH54
I am sorry I seem to have failed to articulate my question well. It was not an inquiry into the meanings of the words, or the regions where they are used. I believe it's safe to suggest that the two words have a very different concept connected to the meaning of each. And that practitioners of one tend to look down on practitioners of the other.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 4:36PM #6
sfatula2000
Sorry, DAH,
I'm not a Strega of either stripe and wouldn't know enough to participate meaningfully in such a discussion.

sfatula
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook