Switch to Forum Live View Fairies and Christianity
7 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2007 - 1:52PM #1
DAH54
Is it against any known Biblical Commandments or suggestions to believe in Fairies? Does anyone know of any Christian beliefs regarding them as real? I have heard that they ar suppose to be souls in limbo or angels that fell, but where not cast all the way to Hell. Any thoughts?

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 8:58PM #2
Feinics
Im not up on my commandments but i know a lot of catholics who quite happily believe or at least hold on to fairy faith superstition in some form ! it would be interesting to hear someone with a bit more biblical knowlege answer that question though!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 10:21AM #3
BeerLover
There is no biblical restrictions on faries.  I have a little knowldge of the bible- enough to be dangerous.  Faries and earth spirits are typically associated with the earth-based religions in pre-Christian Europe (druids).  When Christianity swept through Europe and stamped out all the other religions, faries and all the other trapping went out as well.

The typical thinking is if you believe in faries, you must be one of those wiccans or something like that.  Personally, I don't see much difference between faries and angels.  Certainly, faries are not flesh and blood, they are something else.  If somebody can see a farie, or the energy field around an oak tree, I think that's pretty cool, not unChristian at all.  Unfortunately, many of my "brothers in Christ" disagree.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 12:30PM #4
DAH54
Well hello BeerLover and welcome to the Fairies & Nature Spirits board. I am glad you decided to drop by and share a little of your knowledge with us! And yes I tend to agree with you that many of our brethren judge those who have seen fairies & nature spirits, or who choose to accept the possibility of their existence rather harshly. That their is a tendency to equate acceptance with being a Wiccan. :(

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 12:42PM #5
GreenEyedLily
Well, I personally dont have much bible knowledge...but my Gramma does, and she is fairly religious and she believes in fae to a point. She even creates little fae sanctuaries in her gardens (I took a picture of a fae once in her backyard!) so I dont think its a *sin* to believe in them?

On the topic of equating the belief of fae with just earth based religions...well you know what they say about assuming ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 1:04PM #6
GreyTraveller
I don't see any reason why Christians can't believe in faeries. Just look at Tolkien and Lewis. I think the problem is all too often that Christians treat the teachings of their faith as the perimeters (this is all there is to know) rather than the parameters (these are the minimum to believe, but there is more that isn't 'essential). Part of the problem may be that the idea of spirits of place and nature (called "daimons" by the Greeks) became seen as identical as the spirits opposing God (eventually called "demons).
Just my two cents as a former Wiccan still married to a practicing witch. Fairies? Believed in them then and still do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:55PM #7
Feinics
il have disagree with beerlover on one teeny tiny point there. in Ireland christianity was incorporated and adapted to the previous faiths so it wasnt quite wiped out just merely disguised theres been quite well recorded fairyfaith in Ireland right upto the early 1900's and today remains mostly as superstition. 

I suppose when it comes to chrisitanity it must come down to the individuals persepective on their religion and how they define faeries!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 5:05PM #8
GreenEyedLily
Just a thought that came to me...

Remember - people fear what they do not understand thereby deeming it 'wrong' to believe in it.

I think that was some input from my guide lol...as it was just poof there with nothing before or after haha...you will find that happens sometimes with me (just a heads up)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 5:22PM #9
Feinics
very true:)  ignorance leads to fear happens to us all at some stage!  Im still holding on to a childhood fear of ghosts myself:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 7:23PM #10
BeerLover

Feinics wrote:

il have disagree with beerlover on one teeny tiny point there. in Ireland christianity was incorporated and adapted to the previous faiths so it wasnt quite wiped out just merely disguised theres been quite well recorded fairyfaith in Ireland right up to the early 1900's and today remains mostly as superstition. 

I suppose when it comes to chrisitanity it must come down to the individuals perspective on their religion and how they define faeries!

Ireland is sort of a special case, Feinics.  As my faulty (and occasionally alcohol polluted) memory serves, Ireland was never conquered by the Roman Empire.  They ran out of steam when they hit England or something.  So no Roman influence.  Ireland wasn't really Christianized until St. Patrick did his snake thing in the 400's (5th century?).  And you are right, they never really adopted the same "flavor" of Catholisim that mainland Europe did.  Ah, the luck of the Irish.

BeerLover

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook