Switch to Forum Live View Thinking of Becoming A Minister
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 7:23PM #1
Brownowl33
I am considering becoming a Spiritualist minister, or at the very least taking the classes offered through CSS and Morris Pratt.  I've had to drop out of my cosmetology program because my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has gotten so bad that I can no longer manage the activity and training anymore.  I still have a few "good hours" in me every day, though, and my mind is fine and needs something to do.

I remain deeply interested in Spiritualism and would like a lot more in-depth experience.  Most of the training is distance education, though I would have to attend at least one 2 week intensive in New York.  This could be easily managed once my disability pay kicks in.

What does everyone think?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 12:17PM #2
inthemidstwest

ChrisSuperstar wrote:

I am considering becoming a Spiritualist minister, or at the very least taking the classes offered through CSS and Morris Pratt.  I've had to drop out of my cosmetology program because my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has gotten so bad that I can no longer manage the activity and training anymore.  I still have a few "good hours" in me every day, though, and my mind is fine and needs something to do.

I remain deeply interested in Spiritualism and would like a lot more in-depth experience.  Most of the training is distance education, though I would have to attend at least one 2 week intensive in New York.  This could be easily managed once my disability pay kicks in.

What does everyone think?

Hi, Chris.  I happened to stumble along your post and thought I might pass some information along.

I was a licensed cosme/instructor for almost seven years.  About three years into it (and I loved it), I started developing migraines.  A host of other symptoms developed, and after an auto accident, I finally received diagnosis.

The physical limitations were really complicated at first, but I still miss the creativity, interaction and atmosphere in general.  I'm not sure how far along in cosme you are, but you might look into retail/product sales as a binder until you can move on to a career of choice.  You can set your own hours/schedule and still maintain some income if your thinking of going back to further your education in a different area. You seem to be a very creative and passionate individual, which is great for a host of careers.  Good luck in future endeavors.

~itm

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 12:27PM #3
Brownowl33

inthemidstwest wrote:

Hi, Chris.  I happened to stumble along your post and thought I might pass some information along.

I was a licensed cosme/instructor for almost seven years.  About three years into it (and I loved it), I started developing migraines.  A host of other symptoms developed, and after an auto accident, I finally received diagnosis.

The physical limitations were really complicated at first, but I still miss the creativity, interaction and atmosphere in general.  I'm not sure how far along in cosme you are, but you might look into retail/product sales as a binder until you can move on to a career of choice.  You can set your own hours/schedule and still maintain some income if your thinking of going back to further your education in a different area. You seem to be a very creative and passionate individual, which is great for a host of careers.  Good luck in future endeavors.

~itm

Thanks!

I am actually going to try and switch to the Esthetics program.  Not that it's easy, but it IS less time on one's feet, and I think the spa-life atmosphere is more soothing.  Also, I like skincare and such better anyway.  The doctor has told me I can't work more than 20 hours a week, EVER, but I don't plan on giving up entirely on the beauty biz.  I like meeting people and enjoy the different aspects of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 11:08AM #4
inthemidstwest
Fantastic!   I'm not sure what TX board regulations state, but if you are transferring due to a medical condition, I'm sure there wouldn't be any delay of hours.  Some might even be transferrable depending on how much you have completed in your cosme training.

You're definitely in the right geographic area for retail sales.  Many holistic distributors are also constantly looking for reps in the southwest.  AZ & CA are also great if you're looking into an esthetics career.

Just remember....change isn't always bad.  It can promote growth and let you tap into realms previously unexplored.

Best Wishes,

~itm
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2009 - 2:23PM #5
hatta

I too am registered to become a spritualist minister.  Methinks if it is a salary you are looking for this is the wrong route to go.  I don't think it pays too well judging from what I have seen in the collection plate.

I am doing it to be able to cousel others and perform sermons.  I would like to be of service to the world.  I'll be keeping my day job.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2009 - 2:25PM #6
spiritalk

I also have not heard of very many 'paying' positions in the ministry in Spiritualism.  But it is certainly a spiritual journey worthy of your efforts.  Having education is never amiss.  And so much of the history and philosophy, religion and science of Spiritualism is very enlightening to all aspects of your life.

God bless, J

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook