Switch to Forum Live View Would like a Spiritualist's interpretation please
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 10:40PM #1
TIA

Well, I consider myself to be Spiritual more than Religious, which to me means that I don't follow a Specific set of rules based on a Specific Religion.   To be Spiritualist to me means to take what you like and leave the rest behind...a personal direct internal and ever going conversation between you and God/Goddess/Spirit/Divine beings.  I pray to the Mother and the Father God.  I make sure my intensions are pure and in good faith.  I believe in various spiritual beings, such as Goddesses/Ascended Masters and don't limit myself by believing that one way is the only way.  I think with certain religions, we are lead to believe that a particular set of 'doings' is the right thing to do and other ways are just wrong or 'okay' but not particularly right even though the more main stream religions are derived from Old Pagan Ways.  Spiritual has more of a freedom ring to it because your more open to other spiritual practices.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 12:41PM #2
Stardove

Welcome TIA,  Check out this website for more information about Spiritualism.

www.nsac.org/spiritualism.htm

The Philosophy of Spiritualism

The following Declaration of Principles is published to the world, not as a creed binding on the conscious of the individual, but as the consensus of a very large majority of Spiritualists on the fundamental teachings of Spiritualism:

1.  We believe in Infinite Intelligence.

2.  We believe that the phenomena of Nature, both physical and spiritual, are the expression of Infinite Intelligence.

3.  We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith, constitute true religion.

4.  We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continue after the change called death.

5.  We affirm that communication with the so-called dead is a fact, scientifically proven by the phenomena of Spiritualism.

6.  We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

7.  We affirm the moral responsibility of individuals, and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness as we obey or disobey Nature’s physical and spiritual laws.

8.  We affirm that the doorway to reformation is never closed against any human soul here or hereafter.

9.  We affirm that the precepts of Prophecy and Healing are Divine attributes proven through Mediumship.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2010 - 12:25AM #3
abmehta

Allow me to reopen the topic initiated by Tia. I some how feel that we are too involved with our own happiness, salvation and pursuit of spiritualism. What is the meaning of spiritualism for those affected by poverty, injustice, sickness, fraudulent behaviour of those who are supposed to interact with them, work for their good and who are even paid for it. In this category one can even include governments of the countries involved in their so called welfare who show verbal concern and do nothing. Would not armed revolution or some form of violence be justified to obtain basic necessities so that they can spare a thought for their salvation through spiritual behaviour, whatever that may mean for them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2010 - 9:07AM #4
Brownowl33

I think a few of your here have the wrong idea.  Spiritualism is not "being spiritual" and certainly has nothing to do with armed rebellion.  It's talking to the dead through mediums.  A religious practice of "talking to ghosts" if you will.  I think you're thinking of "spiritual but not religious" instead of Spiritualism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2010 - 11:37AM #5
abmehta

I think you are right Chris. I misunderstood spiritualism word as in India it is not commonly used. I stand corrected.

However I am of the opinion that at least in our country the religion talks a lot about personal quest towards spirituality (I hope I am using the correct word!) but hardly ever think about the suffering bretheran. They give money to priests, put in temple boxes and a few donate money to some NGOs but all in the background of getting salvation for self. In case you and others have any views on this and about how the so called religious people look at this problem, I would await responses.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2010 - 12:56PM #6
Brownowl33

I am not sure what you are talking about.  Suffering brethren?  Most religions I know of emphasize caring for the sick, poor, etc....though of course not everyone lives up to this.  There is no way to eradicate suffering from this world, but it can be lessened by human effort and various anti-poverty/anti-hunger campaigns.  This need not be associated with religion, though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2010 - 11:13PM #7
abmehta

I agree. However, majority are not able to do anything substantial or not interested in doing. Let us close the topic for now.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook