Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 12:12AM #1
Erey
I belive that most of the time when someone feels they have experienced a ghost that experience is probably best explained as something more natural.

But there seems on occasion  to be some evidence that seems so rock solid and so irrefutable that it appears that ghosts do exist.  Do any of you feel that ghosts simply do not exist?  I assume that all of you have seen similar evidence to the kind I consider extremely compelling?   Modern Technology seems to be able to uncover some real evidence. 

If you remain a skeptic then how do you explain away some of the more amazing pieces of evidence?  What do you think is at work here?

Thanks in advance
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 1:48AM #2
mountain_man
[QUOTE=Erey;916542]I belive that most of the time when someone feels they have experienced a ghost that experience is probably best explained as something more natural.

That has always been the case.

But there seems on occasion  to be some evidence that seems so rock solid and so irrefutable that it appears that ghosts do exist.

There has never been any such "evidence."  But you're right about one thing; it APPEARS that ghosts exists to some people. They are usually those prone to believe in such things. It APPEARS to them that ghosts are real. Such "appearance" does not mean that ghosts actually exist.

Do any of you feel that ghosts simply do not exist?

They need to define what a ghost actually is before they can claim it exists.

I assume that all of you have seen similar evidence to the kind I consider extremely compelling?   Modern Technology seems to be able to uncover some real evidence.

what evidence is there to uncover?

If you remain a skeptic then how do you explain away some of the more amazing pieces of evidence?  What do you think is at work here?[/quote}
What amazing pieces of evidence? Anecdotes do not count.

And before anyone even tries; Ghost Busters was just a movie, not a documentary. That series on the SciFi channel - well... just remember what the "Fi" part of SciFi stands for.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 1:01PM #3
inthemidstwest
[QUOTE=Erey;916542]I belive that most of the time when someone feels they have experienced a ghost that experience is probably best explained as something more natural.

But there seems on occasion  to be some evidence that seems so rock solid and so irrefutable that it appears that ghosts do exist.  Do any of you feel that ghosts simply do not exist?  I assume that all of you have seen similar evidence to the kind I consider extremely compelling?   Modern Technology seems to be able to uncover some real evidence. 

If you remain a skeptic then how do you explain away some of the more amazing pieces of evidence?  What do you think is at work here?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Hi Erey:

There are some compelling photos, devices, and EVP'S out there. I will be the first to say I'm skeptical of some things, but do believe in life after death and communication/existence on a different spiritual plane. That's based on personal experiences and searching for answers throughout life.  I think many times a person's grief or pain from loss of a loved one inclines them to "witness" ghostly apparitions, but then there are also people with no desire who claim to experience paranormal occurences.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 6:42PM #4
Erey
[QUOTE=inthemidstwest;917271]Hi Erey:

There are some compelling photos, devices, and EVP'S out there. I will be the first to say I'm skeptical of some things, but do believe in life after death and communication/existence on a different spiritual plane. That's based on personal experiences and searching for answers throughout life.  I think many times a person's grief or pain from loss of a loved one inclines them to "witness" ghostly apparitions, but then there are also people with no desire who claim to experience paranormal occurences.[/QUOTE]

Yes there is alot of flakiness in the field but we all know very sober, skeptics who have amazing experiences.  Personaly I have only had mild ghost experiences that I can't really bank on.  I read a book Ghost Hunters by Deborah Blum.  She is a scientific journalist.  She covered all this top tier scientists in the Victorian era.  Each scientist got involved just to disprove the ghosts and one by one they got sucked into the evidence they witnessed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 5:03PM #5
taylorbabe3
I htink everyone is skeptical until they experiance it themselves, I know I was before  had my ghostly experiance!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 11:45PM #6
TsalagiSpirit143
When I was growing up, I never thought of our house as haunted
I knew we shared it with a man named Whitey.
Mr White had been coming home from work. He walked up onto the porch and had fallen dead on his porch. His blind wife had called another neighbor when it became late. That man went out to look for him. As he got to the sidewalk , he saw tracks going toward Mr Whites home in the snow. He followed them and found Mr White there on the porch dead.
People as well as pets could hear the footsteps come up onto the porch and sometimes there was an audible thud. As a little child I would start for the door only to be told .."there is no one there it is just Whitey coming home".
My dogs would run barking..the cats would run to the door..nada...no one there..
The cats in particular, would sometimes paw at the screen looking at the porch floor.
I remember saying I don't see him and was told matter of factly -"You cant see him you just hear him..."
When I was old enough to have friends over they would hear it and say.."someone is coming to the door" I would without concern say it is only Whitey.....
"Whitey's " footsteps sounded somehow the same --identifiable--to we who lived with his visits and were easily differentiated from "real" guests .
It was my friends who announced that I lived in a haunted house..
My family owned the house from 1935-1987.  When my father was making plans to sell it numerous distubances began.
Basement pipes ruptured between where he was standing and I was standing as we discussed the sale.
A trap beneath the kitchen sink ruptured as we stood in the kitchen discussing the sale at a later time..
The final eventr was as my father and a neighbor man stood out in the yard ,again discussing the sale, a single window pane of glass fell from the attic level of this 2 story house with a walk out basement and traveled at a sharp angle sideways and then landed between them floating like a feather...without breaking...
When Dad and I went up to reglaze it in place the glazing was still all in place undamaged.
I said a prayer for Whitey's peace and assured Whitey that although the house was going to new owners that he was welcome to stay or move with us. I asked that he do no further damage to the home he loved and it ended.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 5:37AM #7
phredd4
My husband and I, many years ago had a "ghost" experience.  It was real, and we were so scared we didn't even discuss it with each other until after a year later.  It happpened.  We saw it!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 9:21AM #8
mytmouse57

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

If ghosts exist, why wouldn't they be natural? They just might involve aspects of nature we don't yet fully understand. If you could take a flashlight or I-pod back 500 years in time, people then would think it was freaky and "supernatural" -- because they would have no grasp or concept of its workings. Likewise, those that did not see it, yet heard others who had seen the flashlight and the I-pod describe what they had seen... might say those people were making up wild stories.

That being said, I will say I don't dis-believe in ghosts any more than I believe in them. They sound plausible, but I've never had any direct experience myself. I have, however, talked to too many perfectly rational people who have described things that could not just be explained away.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 4:53PM #9
RyanJLover
We could start from God down or from us going up!  I will start with God first.  If God wanted to scare us he could have created ghosts.  But God does not want to scare us deliberately.  He loves us because if He didn't He would not have sent His Son Jesus to die for us so that we could be free from our sins and to share in God's glory.  "For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) 

God wants us to fear Him but the type of fear God is referring to is "awe"  A reverant type of fear."  In the Gospels it is written that when the angel Gabriel appeared to Joseph the first thing he said was, "Do not be afraid"   God teaches us to be wise in the ways of the Lord.   In the second chapter of Colossians it is written, "Jesus is greater than all created things, both in heaven and on earth."   

So back to the issue with ghosts.  If someone lives in union with Jesus why would someone be concerned with ghosts?   God talks about evil spirits.  Not in the a physical but in a spiritual reality.   God makes known in the Scriptures that satan cannot occupy any part of a human being that is already occupied with the Holy Spirit.  There is God and then there are ghosts?    If I had a choice I would side with God.   If God gives us wisdom and understanding then this choice doesn't take a lot of thinking to figure out.    Jesus said in the Gospel of Matthew, "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever is with me is not against me."   I will believe the Lord and Creator before I will believe in the worthless deceit of human wisdom as it states in Paul's Letter to the Colossians.   I think the feelings and thoughts dealing with ghosts boil down to what we believe and how we are influenced.   I will always put God's wisdom before man's wisdom.  God's wisdom has proven itself since God has made his Word available to us!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 6:22PM #10
Erey
That is a good point Ryan,

but i don't know that all ghosts (or what we might mistake for ghosts) could be an evil spirit.  I can see where some might fit that bill but not necessarily.

God evidentaly created ALOT of things, including the biblical evil spirits.  Which yes, I do find evil spirits scary.  We would not have evil spirits at all if God did not allow. 

So maybe God did create ghosts or allow for a ghost like state.  Some experts say that some ghosts are residual energy.  Sort of like a short video that gets projected onto the wall whenever the circumstances are right for it.  The energy of the dead person might be there but the dead person is not there only some left over impressions.  Other times according to experts ghosts can be a "intelligent" as in an actuall personality that will respond to people or try to interact with people in it's limited way.  So I guess some ghosts could be benevolent or nuetral and others could be hostile.

I personaly am still trying to get my head around the idea that ghosts exist at all.  This is a subject   that I pretty much spent my entire life being agnostic about and in the last few years it seemed to me that there was some very compelling evidence.  Being confronted with this evidence (which I am still not sure what to do with) has altered my world view. 

The existance of evil spirits I have never seen any evidence on that I would find compelling.  I am not saying evil spirits don't exist but that I remain agnostic on that subject.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook