Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2008 - 6:26PM #1
Phoenix_Rising
Here's a question being discussed in another forum I participate in: is it ethical to charge money for a tarot reading, astrological chart, teaching, etc. within your system of practice? If so, under what circumstances and how is a fair rate determined? Why or why not?

I charge for tarot readings when I do not know the person very well and they are able to pay a negotiated fee.  When asked to perform a spell for someone, I charge only for reimbursement of reasonable supplies (e.g., a plain white candle cleansed, blessed and dressed by me instead of Celebrity HPS' Super-Duper Spell-O-Rama light stick, available only on their website for some exhorbitant rate).  When teaching, I share my knowledge willingly and freely with a genuine seeker of wisdom.

The reasons are all combined in one seemingly simplistic answer: it's all about energy and balance.  Money represents a transferable form of energy.  When doing readings for people I know fairly well, they give me intangible forms of energy whenever I need it, so a reading is one way I give energy back to them.  However, I would not deny access to someone just because they aren't able to pay me money - I would much rather they keep their money to pay for food, housing, utilities, etc. than take their last $10. 

As for spells other people ask me to perform, if I complete a task like a house blessing and do it in a way that is respectful of them and their home, they will tell other people that I'm a good, no-nonsense witch who can help them.  However, if I do a poor job, or cost them an outrageous amount of money, they will say bad things about me and witches in general to whomever will listen.

In teaching, I am investing my energy in the future abilities and accomplishments of others, who will hopefully make wise choices, which creates a magnificent ROI (Return On Investment).

So what do you say about this?

Phoenix Rising
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 10:44AM #2
Phoenix_Rising
Rockin' and Original Angel,

Thanks for your feedback.  Rockin', I see doing spells for others as a way to #1, help them with a problem/need they have and obviously aren't able to fix themselves, and #2, to increase visibility of positive witchcraft and education about what witches do, how, and why.  More later, I have to log off now.

Phoenix Rising
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 11:51AM #3
DotNotInOz
I agree completely with your OP, Phoenix, and feel your reasons are excellent ones.

I've never understood those who object to people charging a reasonable fee for such services. After all, people who don't know the provider are more likely to appreciate the service if something is required of them...you generally get the quality you're willing to pay for, in short, whether you actually end up paying or not.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 4:07PM #4
Phoenix_Rising
[QUOTE=Original angel;814384]hi donotinoz..
well aloud me to explain those that you do not understand you see I'm one of those.
magic, power, goals and any motivator which may be clasified as important.have being used and abused by all of us at some point in time. with the consecuences that we all are here now as we are.
In a universe of desilusion.full of greed ,violence and reactiveness.
And because all of the above I desired changes, that may lead to a new way of doing things diferent than what we have done before,this new way as I see is called proactiveness.
and with reason we may get it at least we have a posivility to get it.
and because of we deal with the cause as best as we can and day by day we get better and others see it and fowlow from what they learn.
I call this the 50% on the scale of existence where we learn enough so that we do not get lost again.in the lower levels.
I hope that now you understand why we are as we are.
original angel[/QUOTE]

Original Angel,

I had a difficult time following your line of thinking in this post because of the poor grammar in your sentence structure.  Is English not your first language?

You referenced a universe of delusion, full of greed, violence, and reactiveness.  Is this how you see the world?  If so, I feel sad for you, because I see the universe much differently.  I see a world that is out of balance, but not so far that we can't learn from and fix the mistakes of humanity if we all choose to work on it.

Perhaps you could clarify what you were trying to say so we can communicate better.

Thank you,

Phoenix Rising
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 8:44PM #5
Einhverfr
I think there are two ways to look at it.  There path of greater dangers and benefits which says "yes, charge" because everyone always sees free advice as worth what they pay for it.  On the other hand there is the danger of commercializing something that should not be commercialized.

In the end I see it as a personal decision.  Personally I decide whether or not to charge based on whether I think it is helpful for the person I am doing the readings for.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 8:44PM #6
Einhverfr
I think there are two ways to look at it.  There path of greater dangers and benefits which says "yes, charge" because everyone always sees free advice as worth what they pay for it.  On the other hand there is the danger of commercializing something that should not be commercialized.

In the end I see it as a personal decision.  Personally I decide whether or not to charge based on whether I think it is helpful for the person I am doing the readings for.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 11:03PM #7
DotNotInOz

Original angel wrote:

hi donotinoz..
well aloud me to explain those that you do not understand you see I'm one of those. < snip! >
I call this the 50% on the scale of existence where we learn enough so that we do not get lost again.in the lower levels.
I hope that now you understand why we are as we are.
original angel

No, once again, I strongly disagree with your view, Original angel.

Please do not assume that I do not understand how people such as you feel about charging money for readings and other spiritual services. I understand much of why such people do not believe in charging money since I have talked about this issue several times with them. I simply do not agree that everyone must not charge fees in order to be considered spiritually advanced enough.

And I also disagree that our world is as corrupt as you have often stated you believe it to be.
Yes, there is greed and violence. However, I see these as means by which some choose to learn more quickly and effectively than they might learn by gentler experiences.

We simply view spiritual matters quite differently. I do not discount what you say, since you seem quite sincere. I just do not see existence as you do. That's all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 4:54AM #8
John_T_Mainer
As an Asatruar, we would say a gift for a gift.  We remember that when given a blade as a gift, one always gives a penny in return.  Ask something for nothing and you will have cause to regret what you have received.

A gift for a gift can be anything.  When guesting friends for dinner if they have brought a bottle of wine or a dessert to compliment the meal, you have given hospitality and generosity, and received company and tokens of esteem.  An even exchange.

A stranger asks me to use my skills or strength because they do not have the ability to do what they want, but they have the money to pay me to do it for them.  I give them results, and they give me money.

A stranger needs my assistance, I offer it freely, there is now a debt.  They may balance this debt by either seeking me out and repaying it, or by seeing another stranger in need, and discharging the debt by assisting them instead.

A gift for a gift is fair.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 12:58PM #9
EyesoftheWorld
Has anyone seen the 'Sesame Street' Xmas special in which Bert and Ernie both trade things to Mr. Hooper's store in order to get gifts for one another, and the gift each gets for the other are complementary to the very things the other had traded away? Man that was some good writing. Very powerful.
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2009 - 4:41AM #10
DotNotInOz

EyesoftheWorld wrote:

Has anyone seen the 'Sesame Street' Xmas special in which Bert and Ernie both trade things to Mr. Hooper's store in order to get gifts for one another, and the gift each gets for the other are complementary to the very things the other had traded away? Man that was some good writing. Very powerful.

Well, I'd be more impressed if the writers hadn't merely adapted for their audience the premise of O. Henry's short story, "The Gift of the Magi," with its two newlyweds unable to afford Christmas gifts for each other. He pawns his pocketwatch to buy a decorative comb for her to wear in the lovely long hair she sells to buy him a chain and fob for his watch.

As far as I know, that idea originated with O. Henry, but as the old saying goes, "There's nothing new under the sun." He could well have "borrowed" it as did Sesame Street's writers.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook