Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 3:53PM #1
Bearsky
Tea leaves, tarot, runes, animal entrails, sheep shoulder blades in the firepit, scrying, swing pendelums, necromancy, or...?  Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?  Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 3:53PM #2
Bearsky
Tea leaves, tarot, runes, animal entrails, sheep shoulder blades in the firepit, scrying, swing pendelums, necromancy, or...?  Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?  Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 1:59PM #3
Einhverfr
[QUOTE=Bearsky;593051]Tea leaves, tarot, runes, animal entrails, sheep shoulder blades in the firepit, scrying, swing pendelums, necromancy, or...?  Anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?  Dennis[/QUOTE]

I use runes, tarot, and occasionally horary astrology.  I have also used scrying.

BTW, animal entrails were probably mostly used in ancient Europe not as a way of telling the future, but rather as a way of checking to see if the gods had accepted an animal sacrifice (and hence that the cooking and eating of the animal could proceed).  It was thus more of a religious rather than magical act, aimed at determining whether the gods were going to come to the feast as invited.  In Greece, they primarily looked at the liver, though I don't know specifically what they were looking for.

In general, I liken divination and magic to 'carrying on a conversation with the universe.'  It avoids having only one-way communication.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 4:30PM #4
Bearsky
Hi!  I could be mistaken but I thought that in central asia the pattern of cracks in the cooked shoulder blade of a sheep was used to auger the future...  Dennis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 6:41PM #5
Einhverfr
Shoulder blades might be different.

Just to note the animal entrails bit as to Europe....  There is a general pattern of "division of the sacred slaughter" between humans and the gods in older European religion.  This may be an Indo-European pattern but I am not sure that this is fully accepted.  However it was clearly the case among the Greeks, Germanics, and Celts.

In these cases, an animal to be eaten at a sacred feast would be sacrificed, and the edible parts eaten.  The head, feet, and those parts not readily edible or eaten during the feast would be offered to the gods by fire.  Among the Greeks, Hesiod suggested that this was originally a matter of Prometheus tricking the Gods, but Eliade has pointed out that this has strong parallels elsewhere so that Hesiod's version represents a decline of the tradition.

Among the Greeks, such a feast was to be willingly participated in by humans, the gods, and even the sacrificial animal.  Humans came willingly, the animal had water poured on its head forcing it to nod in agreement to being eaten, and the entrails after the sacrifice were examined to see if the Gods accepted the invitation to the feast.

Other forms of divination involving animal sacrifices from the ancient world included the Tarb Feis ('To spend the night as a bull') where the druid would gorge himself on broth from a sacrificial bull and dream of the next king.  Similar forms of divination in Ireland included chewing raw pork for inspiration.....

Aside from consuming animals, you see the emphasis by Tacitus on the confirmation of lot-casting interpretations by the neighs of sacred horses or birds.  I have done some of this but not yet been very successful.

In general, I prefer to use horary astrology to find lost items, scrying to consult with spirits, and runes to get general advice from the gods.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 6:11PM #6
sfatula2000
Let's see... I do Tarot readings (including my favorite deck of Oracle cards), and scrying in almost every form (sometimes consciously, but sometimes I get sucked into a trance unexpectedly, especially with fire scrying and crystal gazing); I've also used my hands like dowsing rods to find a particular place that I didn't otherwise have a hope of finding.  I sometimes do bibliomancy (like Tarot, but with words in books) unintentionally.  I'm sure I've done other forms of divination, but I can't remember what they are at the moment.

(I'm back after taking a hiatus from the internet: I went completely offline and unplugged voluntarily for a while because I needed it.)

sfatula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 3:58AM #7
darkthroneofeth
I have a knack for pyromancy.  I never intentionally developed it, it just began when I was 16 in 1996.  I see all kinds of things, but they all flee from memory unless I write them down, which I never had.   If  you want to try to converse with the spirit of a deceased person,  look up the author Konstantinos.   I have found him more helpful pragmatically than Crowley.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2008 - 9:34AM #8
multimom
I like to walk in the precepts of Dominion, where perfect instinct and timing are never wrong.  Why fumble around with out-moded tools, chasing bits of straw blown by the wind?  Wouldn't it be more desireable to have these 'godlike' powers within yourselves?  "Ask, and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find...knock, and it shall be opened unto you."  If you peek just beneath the sheath of our collective motivations, you will find that the desires of what we are trying to look into are corrupt.  Greed, conquest, pride-random anxieties.  Where is Alister Crowley?  You will reap the fruits of death...yet he is not.
Also, discovery of the unknown can be wildly exciting-the promise of an adrenaline rush that is addictive for some people.
What is the full measure of dignity, intelligence, reason and capability found in a man?  Human beings are not under the siege of malvolent entities-toys and puppets begging for mercy.  What is suggested is that, somehow, they are enslaved by the host of their own imaginations.
I conclude that being made in the image of the Living God was by no means an inherently human idea.  Liberation of the Spirit-what price can any of us place on that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 5:17PM #9
DotNotInOz

Rockin' on wrote:

I prefer Tarot Cards to animal entrails, myself!

Me, too. They smell substantially better, don't have to be refrigerated between consultations and are lots less messy.

Okay, I'll try to be serious for a change...it's an effort when I get an opening line like that one, I gotta admit. ;):D

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 10:32AM #10
gabzgrl
I use tarot cards, Rider Waite and Astro-Mythological Deck by Mlle Lenormand. The oldest form in history I believe.
I also do I Ching readings, Runes, and I'm learning Animal Medicine cards. I have fun interpeting all these methods of divination. I lost my scrying abilities of childhood, but I have intuitive abilities that I had never had before. I'd be willing to give anyone a reading if they want. But you must message me first, and I will answer your questions to the best of my experience. I enjoy doing it. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook