Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 10:28AM #1
gabzgrl
To me Winter is not just a season, it is a symbolic manifestation....it is a deity. There is a God of Winter, who reigns when it is winter-time, and this God is both dark and symbolic of death and dying. It is not Satanic, but brings difficult things into my life: such as a sense of sadness and depression, thoughts of dying, pain, and nightmares. I have had this reocurring paralysis since I began contemplating life and death, and began fighting the idea while toying and exploiting it. What does death really mean, to me? And what does it mean to you?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2008 - 8:05PM #2
Roku
I have the same feeling toward winter.  It gives me a sense of death and depression, but also incubation, since I know spring will eventually come and rejuvinate the earth. 

Honestly, I just really hate winter!  My skin gets irritated and dry, and I get cold very easily--I'd rather be too warm than too cold.  The days are short and the nights are long, and I prefer sunlight to night time. I think I have seasonal depression, and I usually like to take walks to ease my mood--but I can't go walking in the winter, for crying out loud!!

So, that's why the theme of death feels appropriate for winter.  In this sense, death to me means rebirth.  Or, dying so that something new and fresh can take its place.  The holiday season symbolizes hope and brings a little joy to this depressing time, and the fact that we make New Year resolutions in the middle of winter is just perfect for that idea of incubation and getting ready to come back to life when the weather gets warmer.

My thoughts are a little jumbled, but at least I tried!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2008 - 8:07PM #3
Sacrificialgoddess
Are we talking about the Wheel of the Year here?

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2008 - 8:05PM #4
Roku
I have the same feeling toward winter.  It gives me a sense of death and depression, but also incubation, since I know spring will eventually come and rejuvinate the earth. 

Honestly, I just really hate winter!  My skin gets irritated and dry, and I get cold very easily--I'd rather be too warm than too cold.  The days are short and the nights are long, and I prefer sunlight to night time. I think I have seasonal depression, and I usually like to take walks to ease my mood--but I can't go walking in the winter, for crying out loud!!

So, that's why the theme of death feels appropriate for winter.  In this sense, death to me means rebirth.  Or, dying so that something new and fresh can take its place.  The holiday season symbolizes hope and brings a little joy to this depressing time, and the fact that we make New Year resolutions in the middle of winter is just perfect for that idea of incubation and getting ready to come back to life when the weather gets warmer.

My thoughts are a little jumbled, but at least I tried!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2008 - 8:07PM #5
Sacrificialgoddess
Are we talking about the Wheel of the Year here?

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2008 - 10:30AM #6
gabzgrl
Oh yes, you make perfect sense! Dont worry! And I feel absolutely the same, almost too close to how you feel, many of us must feel this way in winter-time. At least we aren't alone in this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 1:25AM #7
Moonsmith
To me, Winter is a time to reflect and do introspective work. To me, it is the place where Wisdom settles. Where you really get to test the mettle of what life has taught you. Yes there is death. But there is also sleep, rest and hibernation. Then there is the promise of rebirth for the future. After all festivals like Hogmanay and Yule are all about that. In my family we always made offerings to the Cailleach, the Hag of Winter, to gain her favor and to ease the suffering of us and our animals during the long cold days and nights. We knew we had earned her favor when she presented us with the midnight rainbow, which is a rather striking thing to observe late at night in a snowstorm.

But often if I can be physically comfortable, I can enjoy the worst of winter's savagery and feel a sense of wonder and joy at it all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 5:21PM #8
DotNotInOz

Roku wrote:

I get cold very easily--I'd rather be too warm than too cold. The days are short and the nights are long, and I prefer sunlight to night time. I think I have seasonal depression, and I usually like to take walks to ease my mood--but I can't go walking in the winter, for crying out loud!!

I certainly empathize with Roku's remarks above.

Which reminds me, since we had to relocate and now live in an apartment, I'm really going to miss being able to pop out into our privacy-fenced backyard for a skyclad communing with nature. But then, I miss our house, too. We Scorpios sure do root in once we establish a nest, and we'd lived in that house for over a decade. < sigh >

About the only things I like about wintertime are the end-of-year holidays with their glitz and glitter, reminding me that longer days will come again eventually. I must simply endure and be patient.

I do enjoy being snuggly and warm with a cuppa something hot while snow falls quietly, bringing me a Currier and Ives landscape to enjoy.

But then, life's moments of whatever sort are transitory, so it mostly balances out in the end.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 11:10AM #9
CommieJesus
Contrary to what some people believe, TIME is not linear but cyclical or even spiral. Winter is the season to rest, relax, contemplate and turn inward spiritually. It is the time for healing. It is a special time eclipsing with the Winter Solstice.

gabzgrl wrote:

To me Winter is not just a season, it is a symbolic manifestation....it is a deity. There is a God of Winter, who reigns when it is winter-time, and this God is both dark and symbolic of death and dying. It is not Satanic, but brings difficult things into my life: such as a sense of sadness and depression, thoughts of dying, pain, and nightmares. I have had this reocurring paralysis since I began contemplating life and death, and began fighting the idea while toying and exploiting it. What does death really mean, to me? And what does it mean to you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 12:53PM #10
John_T_Mainer
Winter is the time of Ymir's get, when the Frost giants wax strong, the spirit of ice, whose nature is stasis seek to claim for themselves the whole of the world.  At Yuletide we wassail hard at the turning of the sun, Sunna returns!  The light waxes, the dark wanes, and in the heart of the dark the folk gather to laugh, feast, boast, and dance.  In the heart of privation we celebrate the plenty of the past, and ensure the coming of plenty in the future.

It is the nature of Ymir and his brood to draw life from the world, but Skadi the goddess of winter, and Uller the god of winter, skiing and archery, rule the ice and snow, protecting the folk in the time of cold.  Odin's guardianship assures the Fimbulwinter, the endless winter will not come, and Ostara will wake in the spring.  Frey and Freya honoured at the Maying and Harvest made their covenant which remains unbroken, that as long as the earth is remembered for its gifts, it will always sustain us.

I love winter, for never do you feel more alive than when the ice wind sears the lungs with each breath, where the bones of the world are clothed in ice, and the snow is hurled in balls, carved in angels, stacked in snowmen, flew over by ski, snowboard, and toboggan.  When I see ice, I skate upon the rivers and lakes, fishing and hockey where once the boats did play.  Then again I am Asatru, and a son of the North, a crazy Canadian as well.  We are like that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook