Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Prfessional Tarot Reader
6 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 9:39AM #1
BeerLover
[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hello my friends, it was an amazing experience visiting New Orleans, but it is also good to be back.  One of the things I did while there was visit a professional psychic.  Her shop was on Royal Street, one block off Bourbon Street.  Royal Street was a contrast to Bourbo Street- full of art galleries, and a smattering of bars, restaurants, tourist shops, and miscellaneous.  This particular evening I was out to get groceries (OK, a bottle of wine and some cheese) while Maylilly rested at the hotel room.  I passed this little shop offering palm readings for $10.  Now, I’ve always wanted to have my palms read, just because.....  I stopped and looked in the window for a bit, and finally the proprietor of the shop came out and invited me in. 

We went back to the reading room, sat down, she got out this big magnifying glass and started in with my left palm.  She spoke in a deep solemn voice about all matters some of the not so accurate.  When we finished I asked her how much of the reading came from my palm and how much was reading me.  She didn’t really give me a straight answer, but admitted it was a combination of both.  We got to talking about a lot of different things ( wasn’t a very busy night).  The conversation kept drifting into religion, and I kept steering it out. What I really wanted was a bit of help with my tarot reading skills.  She was a genuine psychic, into tarot, tea leaves, past life regressions, and energy readings.  I had no doubt she had real talent.

And she was subtle with me as well.  She said I had “blockages” which prevented me from realizing my true potential as an intuitive.  She said I lived too much in the rational mind and logic.  She gave me her card, of course, and wanted me to e-mail (about B’net and the things we do here).  Now, I might be a little thick at times, but I recognized the invitation as her subtle way of hooking me in to much more than a $10 palm read.  I’m sure if I asked she would be glad to use her powers to help remove those “blockages” she spoke of.  It would take considerable time (and money), but it would also unlock my true potential as an intuitive. 

My gut reaction was like to a street hustler trying to get me to play his game- separate me from my money.  It was all there, very low key, but still all the elements were there.  But then I got to thinking, I do have blockages, that part is absolutely true.  And a gifted psychic like her probably could help me.  It’s what she does for a living, after all.  She has to pay rent on a storefront and live on what she makes doing readings.  It's different than what we do here.  So, personally, I’m conflicted about the whole experience- street hustler or legitimate professional trying to help?  What do you all think?

The only other tidbit for sharing was I was extremely uncomfortable in her presence.  She had a very large, almost invasive presence in that little room.  That might have been her practiced professionalism, or a way to make her readings seem more convincing, I’m not sure.

BeerLover[/COLOR]
[/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 11:55PM #2
Ask.seek.knock
Hey BL,

I'm not a psychic, and I don't play one on TV! :D (OK, I know, we're all psychic. However, I have never made any concerted efforts to refine/develop those aspects of myself.) I enjoyed reading Wren's answer because she has that insight to psychics in The Big Easy. Anyway, I hope it's ok for me to jump in and offer a different perspective.

I've been to several professional psychics in the past 20+ years -- from "tarot parties", to psychic fairs at malls, to private readings. There were some psychics that I felt more comfortable with than others, but in those few "off" cases, it seemed more along the lines of our personalities not being quite suited to each other. For example, the guy who was featured at most of the tarot parties was generally known to be somewhat arrogant, but he was talented/gifted, so his popularity didn't seem to suffer for his personality. He died several years ago, which leaves a huge gap in the availability of local talent. Unfortunately, my favorite reader is about an hour's drive (via Interstate) and in a congested suburb of Philly.

There has only been one time that I felt a particular psychic was a hustler. The initial tip-off to me was that she was the only psychic I had ever been to for a private reading whom was not willing to provide/allow a tape of the reading. She claimed the taping process "interfered" with the psychic energy of the reading. I suppose that EMFs could potentially create such a problem, but there was just a niggling sense in me that said that something wasn't quite right there. Additionally, she didn't seem to want me around and kept trying to convince my friend to come back and see her alone.

My friend was in a very vulnerable state after a break-up, and this woman wanted to try to "help" her with this failed relationship problem (y'know, get the guy to come back). My friend had already had readings by two other psychics, with whom each of us had previous experience, and they had both told her the guy was bad news and to let him go; however, my friend really wanted the message that this woman was giving her that she could be with this guy. I was finally able to convince my friend that this "promise" was likely a scam and that the woman saw an opportunity to prey on her desperation. Still, it was a long time before my friend stopped second-guessing herself about going back to that psychic. Interestingly enough, a few years later, this particular psychic was CONVICTED of several criminal charges. It seems she had a penchant for those "you have been cursed" scenarios where she took a sum of money and some personal item, etc. and buried it somewhere for a certain time period and then would be able to remove the curse ... I think you get the picture.

From what I've been able to discern from my limited exposure to this forum, you've come a long way in a relatively short period of time as far as your intuitive/psychic development is concerned. Yes, you may agree that you have blockages, but your palm reader's best fiction would have to contain some grain of truth for you to even consider it a possibility. Just be careful that your "impatience" with your development doesn't leave you vulnerable. Your palm reader may very well be a gifted psychic, but that doesn't mean that she can't also be a hustler. The two are not mutually exclusive, and unfortunately, there are "hacks/hustlers" in every profession. Only you can know whether you and she had any true rapport, but personally, that "larger than life" persona would be a major tip-off/turn-off to me. The best con artists are able to create that "just right" mix of charisma and subtle intimidation -- after all, keeping their victims in awe of them or dependent on them (or in some other unbalanced relationship) is what makes the cons so successful.

My ultimate response would be for you to "heed your gut". For what it's worth, mvho is that, because you even felt the need to question this psychic's intentions, you already have your answer. I admit that I may be too analytical/skeptical, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that she's completely legit. Nevertheless, it still seems to me that you're being given a message that she's not the resource you've been seeking.

======================
The fine print: Take what you need and leave the rest.

ASK

"The best thing you can do for the world is make the most of yourself." -- Wallace D. Wattles

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 10:31AM #3
BeerLover
[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="Purple"]Two responses.....

OK, I’ll start with you, Ask.Seek.Knock (who doesn’t claim to be a psychic, but sure could have fooled me with her personal insights).  Of course it’s alright to share your perspective here, it’s good to hear from somebody who has had dealing with several different professional psychics including one who was scamming.  It does all of us “legitimate” psychics a great disservice when one of our own uses their talents to separate those in distress from their money.  I’m sure this shady psychic could sense your friend’s desperation, her broken heart, and saw the potential for some easy money:  “I’d give anything to get him back!”  “Hmmm, I think I can help you...”

You are absolutely right, I have come a long way quickly in the development of my own talents.  Impatience?  My Dear, there is a whole world to be explored out there, and I am foundering with even a simple read right now.  My last attempt was two weeks ago now for Spiritdowser, and it didn’t turn out.  You have to go back two weeks further to get my last good read.  I would like to try a read for you, if you don’t mind, and post it on the open reading thread.  I guess the bottom line is yes, trust my gut.  “...not the resource I’m seeking.”  I would go along with that.  I had pretty much made up my mind after the relationship and career sections of the reading.  And what exactly do I do with my lucky numbers? 

Wren, my Dear, you take a little different approach.  I really hadn’t thought about the dynamics of reading for a perceived skeptic or an obviously well-educated stranger.  Trouble is, I am not a skeptic, logical, analytical, well educated, even careful, yes, but not “a skeptic.”  As I said, she was IMHO, the real deal.  Did she read me wrong and give a formula read?  Maybe.  We talked for a long time after the palm reading was done, though, always topics of her interest.  She didn’t seem to interested in my or what I had to offer to the conversation.  There was no reaction when I said I read the cards.  I think she had her work face on which is really unfortunate, because we could have had a real exchange of ideas.  I think it did put her off that I knew what she was doing.  Perhaps when faced with somebody who was not totally ignorant of her ways, she put up the walls, too.

As far as developing my talents, I am not you. *sigh*  We have had this discussion before.  You are a dual brain user (ADBU); I am not.  I use one side or the other, not both at the same time.  Lately work and home life have demanded my rational side and the intuitive side suffers.  It’s either/or for me.  Could that change if I believed differently?  There’s a thought.  Regardless, the pro can help other people.  I can explore on my own.  I can draw upon the great body of insight from my friends here, AND there is one gifted intuitive in particular who stands ready to help no matter what the need is.  I don’t have to look outside my happy home for able assistance.  It’s so easy to forget, but Maylilly will help me travel through the spirit world as time and priorities allow us both.
[/COLOR]
[/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 3:00PM #4
princess0602
HI BEERLOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems like it has been sooo long!  I almost feel like a stranger around here now.  *sigh*
Anyway, I read your post and nothing struck me until the end.  When I began reading your words...and you know I go on feeling the energy of the words...I don't know what you call that..empath, intuitive, I don't know...I started to feel dread or heavy.  So when I got to the words where you discuss her "presence" it all fit.  I don't believe that she has positive energy Beer and that is one reason why she was not able to "see" you and give you any difinitive information.  She needed to fish to find anything.  I had a guy come right up to me once and told me some things disturbing about my children.  Then he started walking away, turned around and said "but I cannot read you...I have been watching you all evening and all I see is brick walls around you"  Instinctively I said to him "that is because I see your negative energy trying to read my positive energy".  He seemed shocked and walked away. 
I always regarded that wall as my protective barrier. 
I do like the idea of you going out and getting wine and cheese while your beloved Maylilly rests and waits for you back at the hotel.  What a guy!!!!!!!  but we all know that about you!  May is a very very lucky woman and she knows that.
I hope everything is well with you!  I am doing very well for the moment.  I asked Wren to speak to my oldest son's soul again for me because he is getting into some trouble at school (suspensions in the 4th grade) and I truly feel that he protects me from what is really going on within his heart.  I know Wren has a lot going on but I am hoping someone can tell me what is going on with the little guy.  *sigh*  He said recently that he never wants to see me hurt or crying again.  WOW that was heavy stuff for a 10 year old.  He likes to call me when at his Dad's because he "needs someone to talk to" but he is very cautious and dances around things that he perceives might hurt me. 
How in the world do guys learn this at such a young age?  LOL
Great to see you again and say hello to Maylilly for me.

Leah :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 4:29PM #5
dreamie1966
Welcome back!  Now as to the way I see it, the girls are all right.  I first would like to say that you should never doubt yourself and your own feelings especially where your empathic abilities are concerned.  You have come such a long way in discovering who you are and what you are truely capable of, so don't let  something that was trying to come out for someone else make you think you are not a good reader.  It happens to all of us when we are trying to do a read sometimes something more pressing for someone else comes out and needs to be taken care of first.
Now,  you sensed that there was this strong presence about her.  Yes, she does have abilities but your wall blocked her reading because she sensed your power too. I think it's more like a self defence mechanism when we sense anothers gift.  You felt something that automatically put you on gaurd, trust that judgement and never second guess it,  there was a reason for it so do not feel bad about it.  I can still feel the uncomfortableness of it, makes me feel kind of creepy in a way.
She wants to remove your block eh?  Someone once told me, that if you have to pay to have anything removed then it is a scam and I trust their word more than anything and I do not trust easily.  Wren is right, we all have blocks but only our determination to move to a higher plain and work on our our spirituality will remove those.  It is our fears and insecurities that we must face in order to remove those blocks and no one but ourselves are capable of doing that.
Trust in who You are Beerlover and keep up the good work, everyone here knows what you are capable of!

Luv & Light
Dreamie
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 11:47PM #6
Ask.seek.knock

BeerLover wrote:

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][COLOR=purple]Impatience? My Dear, there is a whole world to be explored out there, and I am foundering with even a simple read right now. My last attempt was two weeks ago now for Spiritdowser, and it didn’t turn out.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Your post to Spiritdowser was the one where I "felt" your impatience. I'd hardly have to be psychic, though, as your frustration permeated the post. I think the specific words were, "better to have no read than a crappy read."

BeerLover wrote:

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][COLOR=purple]I would like to try a read for you, if you don’t mind, and post it on the open reading thread.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Yes, thank you, absolutely, go for it. I don't want my eagerness to create any pressure on you, though. So, if it doesn't feel right, no biggie. To quote an old Porter Wagoner song, "What is to be, will be. What ain't to be, just might happen."

BeerLover wrote:

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][COLOR=purple](response to Wren) Trouble is, I am not a skeptic, logical, analytical, well educated, even careful, yes, but not “a skeptic.” ... As far as developing my talents, I am not you. *sigh* We have had this discussion before. You are a dual brain user (ADBU); I am not. I use one side or the other, not both at the same time.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
I think these are the reasons why I find myself so intrigued with your journey since I am extremely left-brained, "anal"ytical, etc. Even though I do believe we all have the capacity, I can't envision how I would "get there from here", so seeing your progress is heartening. If, in even a small way, I can help you get over a hurdle, then I am ultimately helping myself. (Nothing like self-interest for motivation.)

BeerLover wrote:

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][COLOR=purple]... AND there is one gifted intuitive in particular who stands ready to help no matter what the need is. I don’t have to look outside my happy home for able assistance. It’s so easy to forget, but Maylilly will help me travel through the spirit world as time and priorities allow us both.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's funny, but I almost asked you what Maylilly thought about your palm reader. Then, I realized that she probably wouldn't be inclined to say much. Apart from being intuitive/psychic, she's a smart woman who understands that the spouse/SO is not always the one who can help a partner with a particular lesson. (Kind of like the way that, no matter how hard I try to convince him otherwise, my husband has always known that he is not the one who can help me learn to drive a stick-shift!)

ASK

"The best thing you can do for the world is make the most of yourself." -- Wallace D. Wattles

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2008 - 3:49AM #7
Whisperingal
BL--hi--it's been a while since we've talked.

Here's my take on some of what you've said.

If yuou keep saying you "can't" do this or that--how do you think you are going to be able to do this or that?

You attract to you what you most think about--we all do.

Something for you to think about--and consider that a kind of read from me.

About her 'large" presence.

Did you think that she might have been protecting herself from your negative energies? Over time in reading your various posts I see again and again that you feel you walk through the world with the world affecting/acting on you--and never the opposite.

We tend to reap what we sow.

IMO it's time for you to think about changing your energy and doing something positive instead of primarily complaining about the energies of others' acting on you.

Blunt enough for you?

Sending good thoughts and some healing energy for you to use or not--your call.
WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 4:40PM #8
maylilly
*blinks in surprise* "Blunt enough for you?" I would say rather sharp, WGal.

As someone who knows BL intimately I will admit he has self doubts and sometimes is frustrated with his perceived limited ability to switch back and forth between the spiritual world and the physical world.  He sees these two as being governed by distinctly different rules, unlike some of us who simply accept the integration of both, walking in one world, so-to-speak.  These are impediments in his growth, but not something that will cause him to stagnate, nor will they cause him to admit defeat.  Beerlover continues to grow in both awareness and talent for interpreting what he "sees".

When he says he uses one side of his brain at a time, well that's where he is at right now. He asks himself if he believed differently, perhaps that could change.  Beerlover is not an "I can't" whiner!  It has been my experience that he is just the opposite.  Almost to a fault he doggedly pursues that which is important to him.  Reading tarot and developing his intuition is important to him, but maybe it is the chasing of the butterfly attitude that keeps this integration of mind/spirit from eluding him.

You wrote, "[FONT=Arial]Did you think that she might have been protecting herself from your negative energies? Over time in reading your various posts I see again and again that you feel you walk through the world with the world affecting/acting on you--and never the opposite."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]In my time with Beerlover, I have come to the opposite conclusion about him than you have.  Beerlover is acutely aware of how his attitude and energies affect both himself and how others perceive him. He understands, and regularly explains to his son how we attract what we want, we get back what we project...but in this instance with the palm reader, it is possible that he threw up a defensive wall when she started telling him things that were far off the mark. Once someone starts missing the mark in a big way, our confidence in them usually falters.  And once confidence falters we start to feel foolish that we were ever trusting in the first place. We begin to look for the motives of this person who has told us personal things with authority. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Personally, I think this palm reader did use intuition to size up Beerlover.  But what exactly is intuition?  Part of it is observation, especially when you are face to face.  Palm reading, from what I understand, (and I am no expert) is pretty straight forward, like the interpretation of tarot cards pulled, there are sort of "regular" meanings for the crossings and splits of each line.  If she had just stuck to that, she might have done ok.  But, in my opinion she also used physical appearance, time of night, the fact that he was in New Orleans on business, etc. to round out the reading and make it more fun.  [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Unfortunately, she was way off the mark on those aspects.  To her credit, I probably would have made the same mistakes as she did if I were to try to sum up Beerlover by looking at him in that situation.  She also tried, I think, to give him a happy ending story--you know, send them away happy here in The Big Easy!  But if Beerlover is anything like me, (and he is in many ways), he would have sensed the deception (even though he doesn't know what he is sensing always), and thrown up the defenses.  And she would have felt that right away.--remember, Beerlover said he had no doubt that she was a real psychic. So yes, she could have been tapping in to Beerlover's "negativity" but he surely didn't enter her establishment with negativity, it was something he developed while there.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Anyway, I don't see where Beerlover "primarily complains". I haven't read his every post, nor have I done a really good job with keeping up with all the others here, but I do think he has done some very positive things for people here and I know for sure he has a huge generous heart at home and I can attest that complaining about his lot is just not in his nature.  [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Blockages?  Sure we all have some.  We don't necessarily need psychics to help us undo them.  Energy workers can help but ultimately it is up to each of us to work on our own. He continues to grow as do all of us. [/FONT]

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2008 - 12:05AM #9
Beribee
BL, you are a very giving and loving person.  You went into her shop with a positive attitude and left feeling uncomfortable.  We were all born with intuition, now you have to learn to trust yours......it's that simple (IMHO).

Maylilly, you and I have not had much of a chance to chat, but I loved your post!  It is a very rare thing on BNet to get a spouse's perspective on someone!  I hope you both enjoyed your vacation!
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the devil says, "Crap, she's up!"
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 8:09AM #10
maylilly
Hiya Beribee, Thanks for your kind words! And yes, these forums are most often a solitary sort of thing.  I know they were for me for a few years before I met Beerlover, when my former marriage was in decline.  My family would kinda shake their heads in wonder at my "internet family and friends". 

Beerlover became part of that internet family, after I was separated. And now, you know the story, I am happy to say he is both.  I still like to read his posts, though I don't stalk him (often) lol. 

I feel truly blessed to be able to know Beerlover in person and I rise with joy in my heart everyday to be with him.  We both are excited to see each other at the end of the day and we delight in each other's embrace each night.  Every morning we set the alarm early just to enjoy each other's company.  He leaves me love notes on my bathroom mirror, and I send his in his lunchbox.  We practice "random acts of romance" whenever we can.  We celebrate the ordinary as well as the extra special times like this trip to New Orleans was....in other words, we love completely, without fear.

I tell you this because it is related to the palm reader....she said he was just going through the motions in a ho-hum marriage and there was another woman waiting in the wings.....nothing could be further from the truth.  Kinda took the wind out of her sails of credibility that night. 

But it didn't deter him from getting that bottle of wine and cheese for our enjoyment later on that evening--and I was still waiting for him with eager anticipation of his return. 

There was nothing ho-hum about our trip.  We had a blast!  I wrote a bit about it on Willow's Bend.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook