Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Curious about Spiritualism
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2008 - 10:40AM #1
Loveandlight
Hi folks,

I have been browsing the forums and looking for any and all information I can find about Spiritualists, because I am curious about this religion, and trying to decide if it might be the right place for me.

First of all, I will explain how I came to be following this line of inquiry.

Until recently, I would have called myself Christian, plain and simple...and I still would do that to an extent, but things have changed. Not the least of these being my acceptance of my own truth that I am homosexual.

As many of us will know, Christianity and Homosexuality have some--clashes--of opinion, so I don't feel comfortable at this time in being associated with a Christian organization. So recently, I've been asking the Universe/Inner Light which is how I prefer to think of that which is higher than I, these days, where I should go from here.

I live in a rural area and the churches in the area are limited I was beginning to give up hope of finding a place, but yesterday, I noticed a banner outside a local hall which announced that a Christian Spiritual Church meets at the hall on Monday nights.

I've been in this town for two years and never seen that banner before! I believe that this is significant, but am a little timid about approaching this church without knowing more about the religion of Spiritualism, in particular their stance, if any on homosexuality.

Any help that anyone here can offer will be gratefully, and respectfully received.

Love and Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2008 - 12:50PM #2
Stardove
Welcome to the forum Love and Light,  I can only speak for myself and tell you that I have gay friends of both sexes.  I know that Jesus never spoke on the subject.  And as for Paul's writing he said it is better not to marry, so what did he know? 

Take seeing the banner as a sign and check out the church.  Please check back and let us know about your experience at the Spiritualist Church, if you decide to go.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2008 - 6:23PM #3
Loveandlight
Hi Stardove,

Thanks for the welcome. I love your icon picture! I think I will go ahead and visit the church next Monday and will keep everyone posted on how it goes. I've since found out there are two Spiritualist churches in my area. How interesting!

I agree that Jesus never spoke about sexual orientation, one of the major reasons that I decided I couldn't be involved with Christian organizations anymore was because of the whole "What would Jesus do?" thing. People would ask themselves that question in every circumstance *except* when dealing with gay and lesbian people.

The whole selective reading and application of the bible was another.

Thanks again!

Love and Light,
Meg
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 7:34AM #4
DotNotInOz
You're sure this is a Spiritualist church? I'm asking since you say that the banner called it "Christian Spiritual Church," which could mean anything.

I've lived most of my life in the central U.S. where storefront churches that often start by meeting in a community hall are common.

So, I'd wonder if this could be simply a splinter Christian group that isn't affiliated with Spiritualism at all and would be horrified at the very idea--communicating with spirits of the dead--that is the essence of Spiritualism.

Do let us know what you learn about it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 4:54AM #5
Loveandlight
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;985595]You're sure this is a Spiritualist church? I'm asking since you say that the banner called it "Christian Spiritual Church," which could mean anything.

I've lived most of my life in the central U.S. where storefront churches that often start by meeting in a community hall are common.

So, I'd wonder if this could be simply a splinter Christian group that isn't affiliated with Spiritualism at all and would be horrified at the very idea--communicating with spirits of the dead--that is the essence of Spiritualism.

Do let us know what you learn about it.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dot,

I am pretty sure this is a Spiritualist church, because of what I have found out on their website. http://spiritualistchurch.com.au/about I have attended many "christian" churches over the years and never heard of a medium speaking at any of them. :eek: :D I think it sounds really interesting, and I am looking forward to visiting, but they are in recess over the holidays so I will just have to contain my enthusiasm and curiosity. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 11:18AM #6
Intuitivespirit

loveandlight wrote:

Hi Dot,

I am pretty sure this is a Spiritualist church, because of what I have found out on their website. http://spiritualistchurch.com.au/about I have attended many "christian" churches over the years and never heard of a medium speaking at any of them. :eek: :D I think it sounds really interesting, and I am looking forward to visiting, but they are in recess over the holidays so I will just have to contain my enthusiasm and curiosity. :)

Hello,

I clicked on the link and sure enough it is a Christian Spiritualist Church. It seems to be a fairly standard Order of Service as well.

I've come across Christian Spiritualist Churches on the internet. They're in the United Kingdom, Canada, U.S.A., Australia and I think New Zealand. So, there's quite a number of them. The Bible is used in support of Mediumship and Spiritual Gifts rather than the opposite.

The Spiritualist Church that I attend in Canada performs same sex marriages. And, it does use the Bible.

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 12:23PM #7
DotNotInOz
Perhaps, loveandlight, you can excuse my questioning that it was since you mentioned only the name, which triggered local associations for me.

I think that possibly the reason why most Spiritualist churches where I live in the Central U.S. have "Spiritualist" somewhere in the name is to prevent any possible confusion with the generally fundamentalist Christian storefront churches I mentioned. The latter tend either to have very nondescript names that don't indicate their fundamentalist leanings or graphic names such as "Washed In the Blood of the Lamb Spirit-Filled Christian Church." Hence, my questioning whether this might simply be a fundamentalist group.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2009 - 6:33AM #8
Loveandlight
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;988124]Perhaps, loveandlight, you can excuse my questioning that it was since you mentioned only the name, which triggered local associations for me.

I think that possibly the reason why most Spiritualist churches where I live in the Central U.S. have "Spiritualist" somewhere in the name is to prevent any possible confusion with the generally fundamentalist Christian storefront churches I mentioned. The latter tend either to have very nondescript names that don't indicate their fundamentalist leanings or graphic names such as "Washed In the Blood of the Lamb Spirit-Filled Christian Church." Hence, my questioning whether this might simply be a fundamentalist group.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dot,

I fully understand, and I was not at all perturbed by your asking. If I'd been thinking when I made my initial post, I would have included a url to the website then. :) I do know about the fundamentalist churches habit of having strange names. I was attending one for a while called Sharon Christian Assembly, and that church actually had a lot of people ask if it was a 'real christian church' hehe.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 8:43PM #9
Loveandlight
I managed to get in touch with the pastor of the church by phone yesterday. I was struck by the gentleness of her voice on the phone. Services recommence next week and I have decided I will visit. I'm looking forward to this.

Just thought I would update here in case anyone was wondering. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2009 - 2:26PM #10
hatta

Did you end up going L&L?

Not all spirutualist churches are the same so if that one doesn't resonate with you try another.   I would like to speak for all churches but can't.  I think that Unity Churches and Spiritualist churches seem so far to be the most welcoming to people of all sexual orientations.  

Good luck in finding a church!

Jen

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook