Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:20PM #31
Chiyo

Namchuck wrote:

Impressionable and hormonally besieged giggly girls, sleep deprivation, the belief that one was living in a "haunted house", etc., oh yes, powerful evidence indeed, Chiyo :)

My my, the things the spirits get up to! Never quite come to the party, though, when under intense or close scrutiny.

I never said it was "evidence". It is my experience. And nothing I've studied, in college or elsewhere, has ever changed or will ever change the fact that two of us saw this, two of us experienced it and two of us know what happened. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:24PM #32
Namchuck
Unembodied dead folk who flip light switches, push DVD's from off of shelves, hold back curtains to impress little girls whose pre-frontal cortex's have not fully formed, haunt houses and delight in scaring only those who believe in the first place...

We are all hardwired for fantasy and for dreams. Such personal interpretations of such personal experiences as those related above are probably no more than a variant of this predisposition of the brain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:28PM #33
Namchuck
[QUOTE=Chiyo;798329]I never said it was "evidence". It is my experience. And nothing I've studied, in college or elsewhere, has ever changed or will ever change the fact that two of us saw this, two of us experienced it and two of us know what happened. :)[/QUOTE]

More than likely the mutually reinforced fantasy of a couple of previously lonely little girls attempting to seal their new found friendship with a special and shared memory. Not an unknown or rare phenomenon in itself.

As I have previously shared, had the family cat snuggled up at the end of my bed on the night of my dad's funeral disappeared before the morning light, I, too, probably would have believed that I had been visited by a spirit. I would have been wrong, though.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:33PM #34
Chiyo

Namchuck wrote:

More than likely the mutually reinforced fantasy of a couple of previously lonely little girls attempting to seal their new found friendship with a special and shared memory. Not an unknown or rare phenomenon in itself.

Namchuck, you weren't there for the first experience I'd posted, you weren't there for the one you're referring to above, and you weren't there for any of the others I could talk about. You have no basis for speaking into my experience or making judgements about our physical health or mental-health, or the level of our education... It wasn't your experience. You, quite simply, weren't there, you don't know what happened.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 12:43AM #35
Namchuck
[QUOTE=Chiyo;798355]Namchuck, you weren't there for the first experience I'd posted, you weren't there for the one you're referring to above, and you weren't there for any of the others I could talk about. You have no basis for speaking into my experience or making judgements about our physical health or mental-health, or the level of our education... It wasn't your experience. You, quite simply, weren't there, you don't know what happened.[/QUOTE]

I am simply expressing a view, Chiyo, and the idea that one would have to be attendant on every claimed "experience" in order to have a view about them would be, well, plain silly.

Nor was I making "judgements" (sic) either about your physical or metal health, nor your educational achievements.

While it is true that I wasn't there and don't know what "happened", the fact that people are prone to extreme interpretations of personal - real or imagined - experiences is rather common fare in both life and psychology. Pitted against the utter paucity of any compelling evidence for "spirits" - tricky or otherwise - your adolescent, or pre-adolescent, and admittedly sleep-deprived, personal interpretations of what you and your friend think happened during an cognitively immature part of your life remains dubious as indicative of the reality of "spirits" existing outside of the mind.

But, again, that's just my view.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 12:54AM #36
Chiyo

Namchuck wrote:

your adolescent, or pre-adolescent, and admittedly sleep-deprived, personal interpretations of what you and your friend think happened during an cognitively immature part of your life remains dubious as indicative of the reality of "spirits" existing outside of the mind.

Which is, again, why it is my experience and not your evidence. So, please do not continue to insult me with these ideas, as if I have never thought about them, or researched them, or studied them in my years at college (I'm one or two courses away from a B.A. in psychology and have studied it outside of college as well). I have. These "rational" ideas, while they have their merit and their place, don't measure up to any of the given experiences that I've had.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:24PM #37
Namchuck
Unembodied dead folk who flip light switches, push DVD's from off of shelves, hold back curtains to impress little girls whose pre-frontal cortex's have not fully formed, haunt houses and delight in scaring only those who believe in the first place...

We are all hardwired for fantasy and for dreams. Such personal interpretations of such personal experiences as those related above are probably no more than a variant of this predisposition of the brain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:28PM #38
Namchuck
[QUOTE=Chiyo;798329]I never said it was "evidence". It is my experience. And nothing I've studied, in college or elsewhere, has ever changed or will ever change the fact that two of us saw this, two of us experienced it and two of us know what happened. :)[/QUOTE]

As I have previously shared, had the family cat snuggled up at the end of my bed on the night of my dad's funeral disappeared before the morning light, I, too, probably would have believed that I had been visited by a spirit. I would have been wrong, though.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2008 - 11:33PM #39
Chiyo

Namchuck wrote:

Namchuck, you weren't there for the first experience I'd posted, you weren't there for the one you're referring to above, and you weren't there for any of the others I could talk about. You have no basis for speaking into my experience or making judgements about our physical health or mental-health, or the level of our education... It wasn't your experience. You, quite simply, weren't there, you don't know what happened.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2008 - 12:43AM #40
Namchuck
[QUOTE=Chiyo;798355]Namchuck, you weren't there for the first experience I'd posted, you weren't there for the one you're referring to above, and you weren't there for any of the others I could talk about. You have no basis for speaking into my experience or making judgements about our physical health or mental-health, or the level of our education... It wasn't your experience. You, quite simply, weren't there, you don't know what happened.[/QUOTE]

I am simply expressing a view, Chiyo, and the idea that one would have to be attendant on every claimed "experience" in order to have a view about them would be, well, plain silly.

Nor was I making "judgements" (sic) either about your physical or metal health, nor your educational achievements.

While it is true that I wasn't there and don't know what "happened", the fact that people are prone to extreme interpretations of personal - real or imagined - experiences is rather common fare in both life and psychology. Pitted against the utter paucity of any compelling evidence for "spirits" - tricky or otherwise - your adolescent, or pre-adolescent, and admittedly sleep-deprived, personal interpretations of what you and your friend think happened during an cognitively immature part of your life remains dubious as indicative of the reality of "spirits" existing outside of the mind.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook