Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2008 - 6:38PM #11
DotNotInOz
While it is true that spirits can be "haunting" a person, so to speak, and following one around, that's not nearly as common, IME, as a spirit "locked into" a location that was significant in some way in hir life.

Since you say this is an old building, I'd guess there was some tragic incident associated with its past that resulted in this spirit lingering. It might be interesting to research the site's history, but that's not essential, primarily a matter of curiosity if you wish to do so.

You might try the very simple process of getting meditative and mentally suggesting to the spirit that s/he look for the light and those waiting there to welcome hir to the beyond. Quite often, such spirits, weird though this sounds, are earthbound because they don't fully realize they're dead. Thus, they're still wandering about a location that was significant for them in life or was the site of their death.

That's the simplest method, often a very effective one. Start with a prayer asking protection for yourself from any spiritual influences that might wish to harm you or others coming into the building. If you're not into prayer, simply asking that white light or positive energy surround you first works equally well. That's what I do since I'm not a praying sort. Then, I request that I may be able to help the spirit to move onward. I take a few deep breaths, feeling at peace with myself and all that is, and then send a mental message to the spirit about looking for the light. I usually add some wishes that the spirit may find peace and comfort or something similar.

Finish with a few deep breaths and some positive thoughts or a prayer. Then, open your eyes and go on about your business. That may well be all that's required to prevent any further activity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2008 - 6:48PM #12
DotNotInOz
Incidentally, I meant to add that if you or anyone else working in the building has unresolved anger, that can draw earthbound spirits. They "feed" off strong human emotions and like any living thing tend to stay where the nourishment is.

Since you mentioned a definite physical manifestation--the light switch being flipped--that could be a sign of a poltergeist. They're mischievous and don't usually cause any harm, but such activity can be disruptive and startling. I tend to think of poltergeists as the unrestrained adolescents of the spirit world. < grin > Poltergeists are especially drawn to strong human emotions, anger being their idea of candy, so to speak.

Working out any anger issues you yourself have or resolving any possible existing interpersonal conflicts at the library could also cause this spirit to move elsewhere to better feeding grounds. I tend to prefer suggesting that the spirit move into the light which solves any potential problems for both the living and the departed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 12:28AM #13
Namchuck
I love those stories about transparent dead folks!

I have two dead parents and four deceased brothers (not to mention literally hordes of departed ancestors), and, sadly, not one of them has as yet flicked a light switch, caused a picture to fall off the wall, or provoked my cats eyes to follow their otherwise invisible forms across my living room in order to give me some hope that they had somehow survived the shucking off of their mortal integuments.

But that such a supposed entity has the energy to actually flick a light switch would have staggering repercussions for our understanding of scientific law. Such a scientifically observed feat would turn everything on its head.

While I would like to think that it might be true, the skeptic side of my nature would have me lean towards an alternative explanation.

Tricky entities those ghosts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 5:33AM #14
Chiyo

Namchuck wrote:

I love those stories about transparent dead folks!

I have two dead parents and four deceased brothers (not to mention literally hordes of departed ancestors), and, sadly, not one of them has as yet flicked a light switch, caused a picture to fall off the wall, or provoked my cats eyes to follow their otherwise invisible forms across my living room in order to give me some hope that they had somehow survived the shucking off of their mortal integuments.

Heh, you sound just like my brother-in-law. Whenever someone would bring up the subject of ghosts, he would laugh them out of the room. Until, in his mid-forties, he was completely traumatized by unexpectedly seeing his father's ghost... The experience almost sent him to the emergency room. Now, whenever the subject of ghosts is brought up, he simply won't talk about it at all.

But that such a supposed entity has the energy to actually flick a light switch would have staggering repercussions for our understanding of scientific law. Such a scientifically observed feat would turn everything on its head.

Why do you think so? There are a lot of things that exist outside the realm of science, that do not "turn everything on its head."

While I would like to think that it might be true, the skeptic side of my nature would have me lean towards an alternative explanation.

I always look for an alternative explanation for the paranormal first. Then, after that, what was experienced is anyone's best guess. And, a lot of times, I don't even bother to "label" experiences. In post 3, I'd mentioned that someone called my name. It wasn't my spouse. It certainly wasn't me. There was no one else around. We both heard it... What in the heck?... I don't know who or what it was. Don't much care, either. I've learned to live with ambiguity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 9:48AM #15
Hipi75
If I hadn't had my own experience I wouldn't believe in ghosts.  When I was a little girl I saw in the mirror the reflection of a shadow in the form of a man.  I was in another bedroom & saw him walk through the hall into my room.  I was scared at first, & I was so earnest that my parents thought I believed what I saw.  They told me it was my grandfather & he was there to protect me.  Looking back & remembering that scene vividly I cannot explain it or logic it away at all.  It is what it is.  I saw what I saw.  There was no mistaking it.  And I do believe it was my grandfather continuing to take care of his family.  Family was alway important to him.

A few years later I was sitting in that same room & someone knocked on the wall, though I refused to believe it & thought it came from the door so I told them to come in... nothing.  I got up & opened the door... nothing.  I went looking for the source of the sound, asked my mother if someone had knocked on the front door... no.  I went & looked... nothing.  I heard it, plain as day.  Someone rapped on the wall with their knuckle.  It was a light tapping, but enough for me not to be able to deny it.  I went back into the room & asked my grandfather not to do that stuff anymore because it scared me.  It didn't happen again.

Whatever the reason, good or bad, I think that ghost wanted you to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were there.  I think my grandfather did & I am grateful that he was there.  Whether he is around or not, I just want him to have peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 9:56AM #16
Chiyo

Hipi75 wrote:

If I hadn't had my own experience I wouldn't believe in ghosts. When I was a little girl I saw in the mirror the reflection of a shadow in the form of a man. I was in another bedroom & saw him walk through the hall into my room. I was scared at first, & I was so earnest that my parents thought I believed what I saw. They told me it was my grandfather & he was there to protect me. Looking back & remembering that scene vividly I cannot explain it or logic it away at all. It is what it is. I saw what I saw. There was no mistaking it. And I do believe it was my grandfather continuing to take care of his family. Family was alway important to him.

A few years later I was sitting in that same room & someone knocked on the wall, though I refused to believe it & thought it came from the door so I told them to come in... nothing. I got up & opened the door... nothing. I went looking for the source of the sound, asked my mother if someone had knocked on the front door... no. I went & looked... nothing. I heard it, plain as day. Someone rapped on the wall with their knuckle. It was a light tapping, but enough for me not to be able to deny it. I went back into the room & asked my grandfather not to do that stuff anymore because it scared me. It didn't happen again.

Whatever the reason, good or bad, I think that ghost wanted you to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were there. I think my grandfather did & I am grateful that he was there. Whether he is around or not, I just want him to have peace.

Oddly enough, I'm such a skeptic that I will usually dismiss such "encounters" that I've had when I've been alone. I'm like Scrooge in that way, talking to Marley;
[QUOTE]

Marley: Why do you doubt your senses?

SCROOGE; Because, a little thing affects them. slight disorder of the stomach makes them cheats. You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of an underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!

[/QUOTE]

So, I don't even think about, let alone talk about encounters that I've had when I've been alone. But those encounters that I've had with other witnesses present? Yes, those I will cite. They are the only ones that I really have confidence in... But that's just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 5:18PM #17
Namchuck
[QUOTE=Chiyo;785789]Heh, you sound just like my brother-in-law. Whenever someone would bring up the subject of ghosts, he would laugh them out of the room. Until, in his mid-forties, he was completely traumatized by unexpectedly seeing his father's ghost... The experience almost sent him to the emergency room. Now, whenever the subject of ghosts is brought up, he simply won't talk about it at all.

Why do you think so? There are a lot of things that exist outside the realm of science, that do not "turn everything on its head."

I always look for an alternative explanation for the paranormal first. Then, after that, what was experienced is anyone's best guess. And, a lot of times, I don't even bother to "label" experiences. In post 3, I'd mentioned that someone called my name. It wasn't my spouse. It certainly wasn't me. There was no one else around. We both heard it... What in the heck?... I don't know who or what it was. Don't much care, either. I've learned to live with ambiguity. [/QUOTE]

You love ya brother-in-law, right? :)

I thought I encountered my dad's ghost on the night of his funeral. I was ten years old and felt something sit on the end of my bed in the early hours of the morning. I lay terrified beneath the sheets until dawn too terrified to call out either to my mother or brothers in adjacent rooms. I just couldn't understand, as I lay there in a cold sweat, why my dad would do such a thing to me. In the morning daylight I discovered, to my staggering relief, the family cat nestled all nice and comfy at the end of the bed. Had she slipped away in the night, I probably would have still believed that my dad came to bid me farewell on the night of his official departure from the realm of the embodied.

This is just one of the reasons why anecdotal ghosts stories, while interesting, have never carried very much weight with me. I'm one of those who believe that, if ghosts exist, and there's no compelling reason to believe that they do, then they probably have far better and more interesting things to do than occupy themselves with lurking around playing tricks and spooking the gullible and credulous among the living.

And as far as hearing one's name called, well that, like the phenomena of deja vu, is now well understood, although two people hearing such a thing simultaneously is of some interest.

In respect to "turning everything", especially science, "on its head"? Well, ghosts contain no matter and no energy and therefore, according to the laws of science, do not exist other than in people's minds. So, yes, if they were to turn out to be a reality - and, again, there is no compelling evidence that they are - then such a discovery would change things considerably.

As I say, though, I do love a good ghost story, although, like the supposed aliens that people continue to claim they have encountered, they have so little of substance to tell us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2008 - 5:39PM #18
Namchuck
By the way, anybody more interested in a sensible approach to the notion and nature of ghosts should check out the 'Joe Nickell Files'.
Joe is, among other things, a well-known ghost buster and is well-represented on the Web.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2008 - 7:16PM #19
appy20
Actually, I'm not interested in ghost  busting. I would be more interested in having an explanation for the switch moving.  LOL

Dot,
There is no anger at the library. It is a very congenial crew.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2008 - 7:25PM #20
Chiyo

Namchuck wrote:

By the way, anybody more interested in a sensible approach to the notion and nature of ghosts should check out the 'Joe Nickell Files'.
Joe is, among other things, a well-known ghost buster and is well-represented on the Web.

Yep. He's also the author of one of my favorite books; "Looking For A Miracle"... See? I am actually capable of thinking logically, too. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook