Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 8:37AM #1
appy20
I do not believe that I am posting this but.....  This morning I was sitting in my office with the lights on.  One coworker was in the building with me and she was outside unloading the bookdrop.  My light switch turned off.  Now, if it had just been the lights going off, I would have attributed it to an electrical glitch.  No.  The actual switch was flicked off.  Physicallly turned off.  Now, i am across the room.  There is NOTHING moving  (or even not moving near the switch) near that switch.  It just turned off by itself. I jokingly commented to my coworker when she came it that we have a ghost.  She says that two of my coworkers claim to have seen a ghost.  Neither one of the people who have claimed to have seen a ghost are the nutty type.  In my entire life, I have never known of a light switch to physically turn itself off. 

What the heck would a ghost be trying to communicate by doing this?

I don't exactly believe this stuff but.....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 10:09AM #2
inthemidstwest
[QUOTE=appy20;776083]I do not believe that I am posting this but.....  This morning I was sitting in my office with the lights on.  One coworker was in the building with me and she was outside unloading the bookdrop.  My light switch turned off.  Now, if it had just been the lights going off, I would have attributed it to an electrical glitch.  No.  The actual switch was flicked off.  Physicallly turned off.  Now, i am across the room.  There is NOTHING moving  (or even not moving near the switch) near that switch.  It just turned off by itself. I jokingly commented to my coworker when she came it that we have a ghost.  She says that two of my coworkers claim to have seen a ghost.  Neither one of the people who have claimed to have seen a ghost are the nutty type.  In my entire life, I have never known of a light switch to physically turn itself off. 

I don't exactly believe this stuff but.....[/QUOTE]

Good morning to you, Appy!

I don't doubt what you are saying, but you might manually turn the switch on and off a few times to see if there is any delay. If it is an older 'up and down' vertical switch, sometimes if it isn't all the way in position it can still trigger the light to go on or off. If it happens again, I think I would definitely put in a maintenance work order. There could be a loose wire inside not making a good connection.

If it is a ghost, well, obviously they are not fond of Mondays < ; )

Have any of your coworkers had any personal experiences they might share lightheartedly?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 10:38AM #3
Chiyo
[QUOTE]
Appy said; What the heck would a ghost be trying to communicate by doing this?
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, you might find a clue in what exactly it was you were talking about or doing at the time of the incident.

Once, when I was talking with friends there was tremendous crashing noise right next to my chair (3 o'clock on a beautiful Sunday afternoon)... Apparently, the ghost in my home did not approve of the topic of conversation! Not surprising when you consider the ghost must have been the house's previous owner, who was a conservative Roman Catholic, who spent many years on the Parish Counsel and we were a group of rebellious teenagers listening to heavy metal and probably talking about how to find some beer... I'm 41 now, and all I can say is; my, my, my how things have changed. :eek:

I've had a lot of other ghostly encounters and the truth is; 98% of the time you're probably not going to be able to make sense of out of them. I haven't been able to... Once, when I was laying in bed and trying to fall asleep, I clearly heard someone call my name. I thought it was my spouse. So, I said; "What?" No answer. So again, I said; "Lee? What do you want?" Lee said; "I heard it too!"... Long story short, there was nothing after that. I have no idea who called my name or what they wanted. Frustrating!  :mad:
But typical. It must be extremely difficult for spirits to communicate with us.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 2:11PM #4
appy20
The switch is fine.  The switch was physically MOVED from the up on position to the down off position.  The switch is not loose.  It will not turn on if halfway.  It also won't stick halfway.  The dang thing moved.  That is what is so weird about it.  It was in the off position when the lights went out and firmly in the on position when the lights were on.  Because that is the only way this switch will work.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 2:53PM #5
DotNotInOz

appy20 wrote:

Got your attention, didn't it? And it could be simply a wish to do that, saying, "Hey, you! I'm here, too."

Unless anything unpleasant happens, I'd regard such manifestations as friendly conversation. You might even try greeting the ghost if you don't feel too weird doing so. Simply acknowledging their presence can be enough to satisfy some spirits.

My ex-hubby and I lived in a house that was haunted. We'd just speak to our spirit roommates when there were noises, inexplicable scents or other indications of their presence. Nothing harmful or upsetting ever happened to us. Usually, a simple, "Good morning. How are you today?" or the like was sufficient. We'd go on about our business and presumably so did they.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 4:21PM #6
appy20
I have to admit this has opened my mind to concepts not previously considered valid. LOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2008 - 5:56AM #7
DotNotInOz

appy20 wrote:

I have to admit this has opened my mind to concepts not previously considered valid. LOL

Which might also have been the point. Some spirits do seem to enjoy tweaking a skeptic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2008 - 5:22PM #8
inthemidstwest
[QUOTE=appy20;777076]I have to admit this has opened my mind to concepts not previously considered valid. LOL[/QUOTE]

Personally, I believe in the afterlife and in the existence of ghosts.  Sometimes it takes a personal experience to kind of 'shake up your reality' to be a little more open to the unexplained.

I won't say that I believe everything that is unexplained is a ghost, however.  With the boom of all the different ghosthunting shows on TV, and the trend in tourism involving haunted inns and such, I think people can be a little too easily swayed sometimes,especially if there is profit to be made by someone.

When you have a personal experience like you had, there's little room for anything but shock.  Maybe if enough people in your office/building witness strange happenings, they might share stories or do some research on the grounds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2008 - 6:05PM #9
Chiyo

inthemidstwest wrote:

When you have a personal experience like you had, there's little room for anything but shock. Maybe if enough people in your office/building witness strange happenings, they might share stories or do some research on the grounds.

Research on the history of the grounds may or may not be useful. Sometimes, it isn't the grounds that are haunted, sometimes it's a person that is haunted - being followed around by a spirit or poltergeist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2008 - 9:48AM #10
appy20
I was working on a grant proposal at my computer at the time of the incident.  It was early in the morning.  My coworker and I were the only ones there.  She was outside emptying the book drop box in the parking lot. I was in the building alone. 

I asked the coworker who I was told had seen a ghost and she said that she had not seen anything but someone in her family had one in an attic.  So, I don't know if anyone has seen one here.  . This is  a very old building in a very old part of town. It would seem that if a place was going to have a ghost, it would be somewhere like here.
It was an odd thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook