Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View My crystal! I dropped it!!^%^&%$
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 8:49AM #1
darkthroneofeth
It has a small chip on its surface.  This freaked me out a little because I was afraid it would be useless--and I still am.  I can't gaze properly because I keep thinking about the chip on it!!  Would somebody PLEASE tell me a small chip on a $110 ball is okay??  Otherwise I'll have to make a black mirror.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2008 - 8:57AM #2
DotNotInOz
Well, yes and no it could be okay.

It's okay if it doesn't substantially affect your use of it. However, considering the frantic (perhaps somewhat pissed off?) tone of your posting, you might be better off turning it into an expensive decorative object as an object lesson.

Much depends upon what your attitude would be in future about using it as you did previously. If you can get past thinking about the chip and how it got chipped, should be no problem. However, if you're like me, I'd be kicking my ass every time I tried to use the thing for having been careless and stupid enough to have dropped it. (Nothing like overblown guilt complexes, huh?)

Myself, I don't use crystals for scrying. The ones I have I simply hold when I need an energy recharge or sometimes hold while meditating to aid my ability to focus. So, I'm probably not the best person to advise you.

Didn't stop me, though, as I'm sure you noticed. < grin >
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2008 - 11:47AM #3
EyesoftheWorld
Hi. I would approach the situation with an openness to the possibility this should have happened. I can't really speculate why, but maybe you'll be spared from something that would have been "unpleasant". I can understand the aggravation though, b/c you paid a considerable amount, but at least it didn't shatter.
I have seen advertisements for certain kinds of liquid used to fill in/repair scratches on glasses, though this sounds a bit larger than a scratch.
When you step back and think about it, it's just a thing. I cannot relate to how important a thing it is, obviously, but I just thought I'd try to help with what, for you, may be a different perspective.

Take care
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2008 - 6:43PM #4
sfatula2000
Based on your reaction, my first thought was "ouch!"  Like the others said, if you can get past what happened and how it happened, your crystal will still be usable.  However, if you find yourself unable to let go of the emotional disturbance that you're feeling, then you've turned it into an expensive paperweight.  Personally, I have bought crystals that had inclusions and flaws for no other reason than they helped me focus better by deliberately focusing on the flaw (that's the easiest and fastest way for me to get sucked into a scrying trance), and I save the unflawed ones for when I'm working with serious amounts and delicate balances of energy that could in itself aggravate an existing flaw.  If I did the same thing you did, I would be ecstatic, because I need another good focus for scrying.  Depending on the size of the chip, were i you, I might drill a hole through it and wear it as a pendant to boost my shields and give me a little extra energy in mundane life.

sfatula
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 5:04PM #5
DotNotInOz
Luckily for me, I've gotten in the habit of copying my immortal prose prior to hitting the post button just in case B-net is feeling voracious and decides to devour my posting.

So, here goes:

EyesoftheWorld wrote:

Hi. I would approach the situation with an openness to the possibility this should have happened. I can't really speculate why, but maybe you'll be spared from something that would have been "unpleasant".

I don't mean to be contentious, Eyes, but I think the belief that something of this sort "should have happened" is at best a rationalization for an unpleasant situation that can't be satisfactorily resolved. Smacks too much to me of that trite and thoroughly annoying maxim, "It's all good." Sometimes, it's not the least bit good despite the insistence of those fond of reciting that statement that in the grander cosmic scheme of things, everything that happens is meant to be in ways we simply don't understand. Bullcrap! sez me. Sometimes, we simply are clumsy and damage treasured objects without intending to do so.

The best option as I see it is to choose how we're going to regard the fact that this occurred. In short, ignore the chip as an added discipline upon one's thoughts, use the chip as a focal point as sfatula suggests, discontinue trying to use the crystal for anything but decoration...or take it to Goodwill or consign it to the trash as irreparably damaged and an unpleasant reminder that you choose not to live with.

I can understand the aggravation though, b/c you paid a considerable amount, but at least it didn't shatter.

Myself, I'd tend to regard that as better. In that case, it's a matter of sweeping up the debris since its shattering renders it trash. At least, you'd be spared the kind of speculations that the OP is experiencing as to whether or not it's salvageable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2008 - 5:05PM #6
DotNotInOz
Luckily for me, I've gotten in the habit of copying my immortal prose prior to hitting the post button just in case B-net is feeling voracious and decides to devour my posting.

So, here goes:

EyesoftheWorld wrote:

Hi. I would approach the situation with an openness to the possibility this should have happened. I can't really speculate why, but maybe you'll be spared from something that would have been "unpleasant".

I don't mean to be contentious, Eyes, but I think the belief that something of this sort "should have happened" is at best a rationalization for an unpleasant situation that can't be satisfactorily resolved. Smacks too much to me of that trite and thoroughly annoying maxim, "It's all good." Sometimes, it's not the least bit good despite the insistence of those fond of reciting that statement that in the grander cosmic scheme of things, everything that happens is meant to be in ways we simply don't understand. Bullcrap! sez me. Sometimes, we simply are clumsy and damage treasured objects.

The best option as I see it is to choose how we're going to regard the fact that this occurred. In short, ignore the chip as an added discipline upon one's thoughts, use the chip as a focal point as sfatula suggests, discontinue trying to use the crystal for anything but decoration...or take it to Goodwill or consign it to the trash as irreparably damaged and an unpleasant reminder that you choose not to live with.

I can understand the aggravation though, b/c you paid a considerable amount, but at least it didn't shatter.

Myself, I'd tend to regard that as better. In that case, it's a matter of sweeping up the debris since its shattering renders it trash. At least, you'd be spared the kind of speculations that the OP is experiencing as to whether or not it's salvageable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 10:36AM #7
EyesoftheWorld
Hi Dot! I felt pretty sure I would be voicing a point of view that wasn't exactly natural for darkthroneofeth. I fully understand that it's not right for everyone and I don't think everybody necessarily should adopt my Taoist views. Everyone's views are fine as long as those views don't end up imposing on the rights or freedom of others in their own lives. Sound familiar?

I think the phrase "this should have happened" was a poor choice of words, though the thought did occur that darkthroneofeth may  well have been spared a traumatic experience. I don't know what it's like to look into a crystal ball.
A better way for me to express my advice, and this is not saying anyone should change their point of view to become more similar to my own, is "this has happened. There's no use punching myself over it. I need to get something out of this. I need to learn a lesson so this doesn't happen again."
I like the idea, and I'm pretty sure you have come across this notion, though I think it's supposed to be held by persons who have attained to a certain level, of interpreting every phenomenon as a particular dealing of God with one's soul.
So, to play a role here. maybe God was saying "Don't look into those/that thing!" or was saying 'You don't take good enough care of this or other of your possessions."
Feeling like one has sinned seems counterproductive. Live and Learn is one of my many mottos.
Take care!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 3:49PM #8
DotNotInOz

EyesoftheWorld wrote:

Hi Dot! I felt pretty sure I would be voicing a point of view that wasn't exactly natural for darkthroneofeth. I fully understand that it's not right for everyone and I don't think everybody necessarily should adopt my Taoist views. Everyone's views are fine as long as those views don't end up imposing on the rights or freedom of others in their own lives. Sound familiar?

Fine by me.

I think the phrase "this should have happened" was a poor choice of words, though the thought did occur that darkthroneofeth may well have been spared a traumatic experience.

Perhaps. That, however, is the sort of speculation that I find particularly pointless since we can't know whether or not something of the sort would ever have occurred. Well, unless a person is psychic, and even then, such predictions are not necessarily reliable when we consider all the possible choices between now and when this presumed trauma might occur which would result in its being altered, diminished or even avoided entirely.

I like the idea, and I'm pretty sure you have come across this notion, though I think it's supposed to be held by persons who have attained to a certain level, of interpreting every phenomenon as a particular dealing of God with one's soul.

Well, if you mean that in the sense of everything being the result of one's choices and of the effects of the choices of those around us, I can agree with you. However, I don't subscribe to the idea of any being somehow causing a person to drop a valuable object accidentally in order to convey the message that the person ought not to be using such or ought to be more careful. That sort of thinking is simply too anthropomorphic and parental as I see it.

"Live and learn" is a more rational view, IMO, which is what I alluded to earlier when I suggested that there appeared to be a variety of choices resulting from the ball's having become chipped.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 12:25PM #9
EyesoftheWorld
I've had a recent experience in which my "intellectual/cerebral" (as I phrased it to them afterwards. "After what?" - you  will see) habit of sharing my point of view, which is obviously different from everyone else's to varying degress (between 1 and 180, approx.), led to a kind of flare up because it came across as me trying to tell them how they should think or at least see the issue we were discussing. I however, was coming from the direction of "Hey, you know, there are other points of view. Here's how I look at things...", which to me was just a sharing of perspectives, which are neither right nor wrong unless it leads to violating someone's Will. To me, the more perspectives you can see of any one thing, the more you understand it.
I just did some awesome reading last night. I'm filling up my notebooks with great stuff. I like the act of writing things out; I feel it helps me to retain and integrate the ideas. Anyway, the gist of what relates here is this:
There is no Truth. Once you become convinced of a Fact, you become a slave to it and worship it, as all Facts are worshipful. Remain detached and analytical and you will remain free.

Now, it just occurred to me that this may seem like I'm telling you to think that way. This is not the case. I am sharing with you a perspective I have had, which was just reinforced last night in reading and my posting the above paraphrase is me sharing another perspective. History does repeat itself.

From now on, I think I will, as Stevie Nicks sang "keep my visions to myself."

Take care

P.S. I just realized how appropriate my screename is. Of course we are each the Eyes of the World. All any individual knows about the World has come through their own senses (point of view/ perspective/ vision). I like to share. Live and Learn indeed!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 3:50PM #10
DotNotInOz
Eh, you'll find people on Beliefnet who no matter your intent when you posted are bent upon regarding what you say as your trying to dictate to them.

When I'm at my most rational, I try to imagine myself that other person and think of hir posting as my own to help me see more clearly how someone might think that way, particularly if it's a view with which I disagree somewhat. In instances when I can do so, I find my understanding and views broadened remarkably at times.

At other times, I simply say, "Wotta nutjob!" and go on my merry way, which can sometimes be a far more rational and certainly less burdensome reaction. ;)

Most people who post in this area with any degree of regularity have the discernment and innate good sense to realize that someone else's opinion is simply another perspective on the issue.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook