Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2008 - 11:14PM #1
Tcei
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on books for a newbi looking to learn more about runes.  I know alot of wicca/witchcraft 101 books tend to have a brief blurb about runes but they never go in  depth on the subject. Thanks in advance!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2008 - 2:03AM #2
paksmrbk
Hi, Tcei -

I very much appreciated Freya Aswynn's "Northern Mystery and Magick".  SHe has some excellent info.  You may also consider looking online at http://http://home.earthlink.net/~jordsvin/Runes/Index.htm.  Jordsvin has some wonderful, indepth articles on each rune in order.   Anything by Edred Thorssen is likely to be excellent as well.  I would be cautious about Blum, although many folks start out with him since he's easy to find at the book stores.  He tweaks the order and meaning of the runes to suit himself, and in so doing, fails to recognize the potential for danger, for negative consequences inherent in some of the runes.  IMO, his readers lose much of the depth, power, and beuaty that the runes hold.  Hope this helps. paks
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 6:11PM #3
shawnf
If you're investigating the runes as primarily a divination tool, I think The Runic Workbook by Tony Willis is a great place to start.  It was the first book about runes I ever encountered, back in about 1987.

It doesn't really give you much insight into the esoteric Norse aspects of the runes, but I still consider it a good source for interpretation.  It seems like Willis was likely focused more on Wicca or something like it, as his work sort of incorporates a lot of other traditions and isn't so focused on Norse stuff, necessarily.

Ralph Blum's book takes a more New Age / self-transformation approach.  The interpretations there won't really be so helpful if you're doing more generic divination, or if you want to investigate the northern tradition.

If you want to study norse magic, I would suggest Edred Thorsson.   I think I started getting much better rune readings when I removed the Blank Rune from consideration -- an idea I hadn't heard of until I read Thorsson's "Northern Magic."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2008 - 2:37PM #4
Einhverfr
I am actually working on a book (out later this year hopefully!) which aims to provide a good view of the Elder Futhark.  It will be entitled "The Serpent and the Eagle:  An Introduction to the Elder Runic Tradition."  It isn't a "Be a Witch in 3 easy lessons" type of book, but I hope that it will become the must-have introductory text-book.  I will, of course, announce on this forum when it is available.

I actually liked "A Practical Guide to the Runes" by Lisa Peschal as a first book, but I would recommend following it up with something like Thorsson's works at present.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 7:53PM #5
Einhverfr

Einhverfr wrote:

I am actually working on a book (out later this year hopefully!) which aims to provide a good view of the Elder Futhark.  It will be entitled "The Serpent and the Eagle:  An Introduction to the Elder Runic Tradition."  It isn't a "Be a Witch in 3 easy lessons" type of book, but I hope that it will become the must-have introductory text-book.  I will, of course, announce on this forum when it is available.

I actually liked "A Practical Guide to the Runes" by Lisa Peschal as a first book, but I would recommend following it up with something like Thorsson's works at present.

My book is now available on Amazon and will be available within a month or so on Alibris, Abebooks, Amazon UK, and the like.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 7:53PM #6
Einhverfr

Einhverfr wrote:

My book is now available on Amazon and will be available within a month or so on Alibris, Abebooks, Amazon UK, and the like.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 9:47PM #7
Walsung1of9
I learned from reading the posts of others.  I also read online links and did much meditation.  As for books, I can't recommend any as I am not really a "book person".  The Lord of Runes bids me follow, so life is lived out of boxes. 

I should love to read your writings online, if possible. 

Futur Frau Doktor Jeri
Futur Frau Doktor Jeri
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 4:36PM #8
Einhverfr

Walsung1of9 wrote:

I learned from reading the posts of others.  I also read online links and did much meditation.  As for books, I can't recommend any as I am not really a "book person".  The Lord of Runes bids me follow, so life is lived out of boxes. 

I should love to read your writings online, if possible. 

Futur Frau Doktor Jeri

I have a blog at edred.net (http://www.edred.net/community/members/16/blog.php).

There are also some excerpts (read) from my book there as well as a free segment of one of my lectures.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2009 - 1:23AM #9
Walsung1of9
Thanks!

Futur Frau Doktor Jeri
Futur Frau Doktor Jeri
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing