Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Past lives of opposite gender
7 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 2:50AM #1
trekfan8705
After reading through some of these threads, it seems that often when people talk about their past-lives they mention that in that past-life they were a member of the same sex.  I.e., a woman has a past-life regression and sees herself as a woman, a man has a past-life regression and sees himself as a man.  I'm wondering if this is just a coincidence, or do people generally reincarnate as members of the same gender?  I haven't had a vivid past-life regression yet, but I have had an intuitive feeling that in one of my past lives, if not my most recent one, I was a woman (I am a man now).

Has anyone here actually remembered a past life in which they were a member of the opposite sex?  I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 4:08AM #2
FantasiaSmith
Hello, Lovely People!

Hi, Trekfan!

Has anyone here actually remembered a past life in which they were a member of the opposite sex? I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts.

I remember one lifetime when I was a law student in post-revolutionary times...  so of course, I was male.  (Women weren't allowed to vote or own property when our nation was new -- never mind study law!)

I should say now, though, that one of the greatest traumas of that lifetime (and the reason I was given the memory, as it had a bearing on my current life at the time), is that I fell in love with one of my male professors.  And at the time I thought, I "felt" like a woman inside.

So maybe we don't just trade genders willy-nilly, at random.  Maybe we carry characteristics from one life to the next (like which gender we will predominantly love), and maybe it's more "convenient" if our gender matches our predominant characteristics from lifetime to lifetime.

However, it's also possible that the lifetime in which I was a man who fell in love with another man was directly preceded by a lifetime in which I was less-than-understanding of homosexual relationships.  So I might have been "given a taste of my own medicine" in experiencing an unrequited love that was forbidden by cultural norms at the time.  (In fact, in the previous lifetime I strongly suspect that I was a nun from a very powerful aristocratic family, and wielded no small amount of power in the Church due to my political ties...  Anyway, I'm pretty sure that either I was the nun I've researched, or I was closely related to her.)

Interesting question.  Thanks for asking it!

Love and Light and Blessings to you and to all of you,

Claudia
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 12:54PM #3
ronnewmexico
I have and claim, no recollection of any sort.

Just as a note, that perhaps may have some minor relevence, ultimately considered gender is arbitrary, under final or ultimate consideration, a arbitrary designation. Nothing in awareness, suggests conditions cannot be framed which will result in either male female or neutral result.  Thusly one could incarnate in any form or gender. As causes may be varied so  effects may be varied. Reincarnation considered a cause of prior effect.

This however is a Tibetan Buddhist perspective  to my very limited understanding of such.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 2:45PM #4
DotNotInOz
I've a fairly even balance of the genders in the past lives of which I'm aware, although the more recent ones have been female.

I agree with what Claudia says about some lives being transitional from a series as one gender to beginning a series as the other. I think that a transitional incarnation may be one explanation for sexual ambiguity. As she indicates, it's difficult to say since a lifetime such as she mentioned, one of a powerful homosexual attraction, could also be playing out some karma.

Then, too, it seems likely to me that American society especially is entirely too fixated on labeling people's sexuality. Truth be told, I think most of us are more varied than the labels "bisexual," "transsexual," "homosexual"....whatever-sexual permit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2007 - 9:34PM #5
Jeff_Corkern
I'm not claiming this as a past life because I have no independently verifiable proof, but there is this dream I had once a long time ago that has really stuck with me.

I am a female living on a vast grass prairie somewhere in America. I live in what is basically a wooden shack. I have a strong recollection of scrubbing wooden dishes out with fine dirt, then washing the dirt out with a minimal amount of water. Water is extremely hard to come by.

My husband comes home very angry. He has found out something about me I didn't want him to know. There is an extremely violent struggle which ends up with me being stabbed to death, perhaps by a knife that comes through a door. I experience a very strong explosion inside my head and am blasted straight up into the sky. So far up I can see the silver glitter of a stream which I know is very far away.

That's it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 3:57PM #6
Urukai
Interesting experiences guys...

In this life I'm female...most of the lives that I can recollect were in a female body but there were lives in male ones as well, not as many...

Once when my son was little and he began to talk about this stuff out of the blue...he said how he liked being boy this time around...and thought that he would do that again...

Does the body that we are in make a difference to the lessons learned... ?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 5:17PM #7
DotNotInOz

Urukai wrote:

Does the body that we are in make a difference to the lessons learned... ?

If I'm understanding your question as intended, I think that we select a gender that will best fit the chosen spiritual lessons for the forthcoming lifetime.

I'm not so sure about sexual orientation. While I believe that we're born with a particular sexual orientation, we have manifold choices as to how we're going to play out issues involving relationships and orientation. Also, there's still quite a bit of disagreement as to how much of our sexual orientation is innate and how much is acquired by what our culture dictates as proper expressions for each gender. I do think there's a certain amount of nature vs. nurture involved in this very delicate expression of identity.

Pretty difficult to say, in short, to what extent the physical body relates to the lessons chosen except that it's clearly a vehicle of expression of choices made. For some, restrictions imposed by one's body--and here I'm speaking of things such as disabilities or mental incapacities--might strongly influence how readily we can accomplish spiritual lessons. Then, too, a "defective" body in the physical sense may have been chosen by the soul so that the person will by default focus more upon spiritual concerns. Just how that would be depends again upon the nature of the restriction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2007 - 7:26PM #8
Jeff_Corkern
[QUOTE=Urukai;156370]

Does the body that we are in make a difference to the lessons learned... ?[/QUOTE]

I rather suspect it does.

Telling that dream made me make a connection I have never made before.

I have this odd quirk in my personality.

I don't like seeing females being hurt. Like in a movie. If I'm watching a movie and I know a scene is coming up where a female is going to be hurt, I will change the channel until I know that scene is likely to be over. I abominate slasher movies. I'd destroy all those things in a heartbeat if I could. I have also never hit a female or even felt the desire to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2007 - 12:21PM #9
Nay_ho_tze
Howdy Trekfan8705:

Please accept this hearty welcome to Beliefnet’s Reincarnation and Past Life forum. As you probably have gathered, this is the non-debate learn-about board. If you haven't already discovered it, and if it'd interest you, click here to access R&PL in Beliefnet’s debate and general discussion forum.

As for your question regarding gender - it is my understanding that the soul is inherently both genders combined (as symbolized by the yin-yang concept) and that in the bardo, or life between lives, the soul decides which gender to emphasize in any given lifetime depending upon the lessons/experiences being pursued.

Personally, while this incarnation is female, I do remember lifetimes being male ...

[COLOR=black][FONT=Century Gothic]If you'd like to more fully explore reincarnation and past lives, I invite you to click here to access a thread titled “Reincarnation 101." Additionally, this thread of Frequently Asked Questions is an excellent subject overview.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Again, welcome to the forum
It’s very nice to have you with us.

NHT
R&PL
host
Nay_ho_tze
Beliefnet host
designer and artist
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2007 - 4:03PM #10
aylmer_j
Hey Trekfan.

Personally I tend to swing back and forth on the continuum between believing in past lives and finding the concept totally absurd, but I may still be able to offer something...
In the two past lives that I can "remember" from dreams, I have been male. One was in Renaissance-era Italy; the other in mid-1800s Japan. Currently I am female, and (in response to the talk about sexual orientation) am also gay (with a particular affinity for Japanese women, no less). See if that can help you at all. I guess the short response to your question would be that yes, people can reincarnate as different genders, or at least have memories of such.

I know everyone who frequents these boards has heard that exact paragraph from me before, and I apologize for being boring, but as past-life readings are scarce in my part of the country, I don't really have any more details to offer. Next time I'm on the West Coast, I'll see if I can locate a past-life regression professional to find out more...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook