Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View This Seems To So Taboo!
7 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2007 - 3:38PM #11
DAH54

Urukai wrote:

In answer to your question:

Yes I have experience with casting spells and by implication magick...
Where I come from and the people I interact with this would not be considered Taboo! -not even taboo no exclamation point...perhaps you could share more of what you feel and why you feel the way you do. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have...

Blessings...

One of the connotations is black magic, someone who uses their gift to harm others. Within the practice of Wicca is the concept of the threefold law. I would suggest this law suggests that certain practices are taboo!

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 11:38AM #12
redhead57
Having spent a major portion of my life within the Black Community, two marriages to black men and 4 black and white kids of my own, this is a terminology that I have been familiar with for over 30 years.  In fact my older two kids' grandmother was afraid to move home to North Carolina because so much of her family down there were into it.  From what I have gleaned over the years the original practices were brought to the Americas by the captured slaves.  Many of the practices have their roots (no pun intended:) ) in African Magic and tribal rituals, over the centuries there has been a mixing of the beliefs with Native American practices because they accepted and assisted runaway slaves, and Haiti based Voodoo.  Root workers posses much knowledge and power, and sadly have become something really feared, because many use these workers' knowledge and skills to seek out revenge and to force their will on others.  I believe that the magical practices of the world wide community are similar and can have the same benefits if used properly and the same risks if used foolishly.  Much of the negative connotations have come from the Black church and preachers over the centuries too, the witches of Salem certainly don't have the market cornered in ignorant persecution.  Much of the furor over these practitioners  was financial insecurity too in the past times, there wasn't much wealth in those small communities and the Church didn't want its people to spend their money or goods with these root workers when they could keep their coffers full with what people gave to them. 

I hope that this clears up some of the confusion over the matter, if anyone has any questions that I know the answers to I will be happy to share the information with you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2008 - 10:55AM #13
DAH54
There are many meanings or understanding of the word taboo. And yes it could be taboo to the one practicing it, in the sense that the subject is taboo and should not simply be talked about where anyone can read it. (only certain people are permitted to know, the enter workings of it)

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 12:15PM #14
Nonchristianheaven

Folk magic is so common and normal.

Farmers use it all the time even these days.

Many things we do are things our ancestors also did.

I was suprised at eating Black Eyed Peas for good luck on New Years. But people were serious about it bringing good luck.

I can't play a single card game without someone knocking on the table to awaken the wood spirits.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook