Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

10 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 8:38PM #1
kcahenson
Hey guys- this is my first visit to the tarot board here in the new format. You guys are great- I've always loved the energy here.

Okay- my question. I have a new deck- the Universal Fantasy tarot- the most gorgeous and evocative deck I've seen! I love it!

The book (not that I'd call it a book) pretty much sucks. At first I didn't think it had one at all- it's that small. And I was a little scared- like I was gonna be working without a net :( Then I decided to put my big girl panties on and trust my own instincts.;)

So, I've gone through the deck, looking at one card at a time and seeing what feelings/meanings come up for me. Do y'all think that's okay? If I understand the basic ideas behind the major arcana and the minor suits- do you think it's okay to go with my own interpretation of the general meaning? ( I know it's my intuition at work when doing a reading, but what about the underlying or basic meaning?)

Hope that made sense!

Thanks,

Kathy
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 8:33PM #2
jenabc

kcahenson wrote:

So, I've gone through the deck, looking at one card at a time and seeing what feelings/meanings come up for me. Do y'all think that's okay? If I understand the basic ideas behind the major arcana and the minor suits- do you think it's okay to go with my own interpretation of the general meaning? ( I know it's my intuition at work when doing a reading, but what about the underlying or basic meaning?)

I think that using the cards as your inspiration for the meanings is what tarot is all about.  Rely on your own instincts, based on the images.  If you need some more details about specific card meanings you can always do a quick online search (for example, google "Queen of Spades meaning")  My guess is that you'll probably come up with pretty much the same meanings as whatever you'll find online. 

Good luck,
Jen

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2007 - 11:49AM #3
Whisperingal
Kathy--hi--I work with a number of different decks and I hardly ever use the books at all.

I know that not everyone would do it that way--but it works for me.

But I'm more of a "free-form" person anyway.

Sending good thoughts your way.
WGal

I guess if one wanted to be "technical" about it--what I'm doing is a combo of a tarot reading and a personal reading.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 10:23PM #4
kcahenson
Thanks everyone! If there is one thing I've learned- when I have a deck that really speaks to me, I don't need a book. If the deck isn't special to me, then I need a little help with interpretations.

Does everyone have a deck like that- one that just makes all kinds of ideas flow when you see the images on the cards?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2007 - 8:03AM #5
Whisperingal
There are several--the "Crystal Allies" cards.

Sometimes the "Goddess Oracle" cards.

And a set called "Questor."

Each resonates for a different reason--and the reason changes often too. The only certainty for me about cards is that things are always changing.

Sending good tboughts your way.
WGal

Funny thing--I bought the Osho cards because so many people have said so many good things about them. That was almost a year ago--but I have yet to be moved to even unwrap the box.

Odd how that works.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 9:16PM #6
redhead57
Hi,  I use both methods.  I too just purchased a new deck the Llewellyn Deck and it is SO BEAUTIFUL, it called me to it :).  I usually study the book to learn the traditional interpretation of the cards and use my inspiration.  I read each card two ways, first I will use the traditional interpretation based on the placement of the card, then I study the card and use whatever comes to me and share it with the person I am reading.  I find that using both works really well for me, I get the general information from the traditional and the more specific from my own inspiration. Also just as a tip, before I read anyone I insist that we do a quick centering of energy, protect ourselves with the White Light and then I pray for inspiration.  Hope it helps
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook