Switch to Forum Live View Question on folk magic?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 12:30PM #1
GreenEyedLily
I am not quite sure if this would be considered folk magic - and I did try googling it before bringing it to the boards.At this time I would prefer not to really talk too much about this until I have a few more answers...But - if someone were to turn a persons picture facedown - 1. Would that be classified as folk magic?  and 2. What would they be trying to do?  What would their ultimate goal perhaps be?I am aware that this most likely could fall under many categories, as well as there could be many 'ultimate goals' - but has anyone heard of this?  And could anyone give me more information on it?If you need more information from me then I will surely give it!Thank you!Lily
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 1:21PM #2
GreenEyedLily
It is very very helpful thank you so much!

Was trying to figure out what exactly I am up against, and obviously it isnt that good as their intentions did come true.

Thank you again!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 12:17PM #3
Urukai

GreenEyedLily wrote:

I am not quite sure if this would be considered folk magic - and I did try googling it before bringing it to the boards.At this time I would prefer not to really talk too much about this until I have a few more answers...But - if someone were to turn a persons picture facedown - 1. Would that be classified as folk magic? and 2. What would they be trying to do? What would their ultimate goal perhaps be?I am aware that this most likely could fall under many categories, as well as there could be many 'ultimate goals' - but has anyone heard of this? And could anyone give me more information on it?If you need more information from me then I will surely give it!Thank you!Lily

1. Would that be classified as folk magic?
Its sympathetic magick...The Law of Contagion or The Law of Association...any idea or object that is connected in some way by association with another also partakes of that energy...what happens to that photo by association, by contagion happens to those within that photo...
A photograph, a bit of hair or fingernail, a piece of clothing or jewelry...the most famous example would be someone using a poppet, a doll which contrary to modern :eek: films...can also be used to help or heal as well as harm...

2. What would they be trying to do? What would their ultimate goal perhaps be?
A number of things...
A turning away say of interest - Ie I don't want that person around any more...or
A turning away say of consciousness ie: I don't want them to see what I am about to do...or
A turning away say of feeling - I'm going to do something which I feel is wrong and I can't have you looking while I do it...
A turning away of a habit or illness or mood...

Hope this helps in some degree or other...

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 12:36PM #4
GreenEyedLily
It really does help - thank you both again so much...

I have reason to believe that this person has...I dont like to throw the curse word around so lets just say - sent ill will to my family.  I had my suspicions for awhile now, and they were confirmed over the weekend - and then this picture thing came to light.

Although in my belief just acknowledging the fact someone is sending you 'ill will' is enough to break it, to put a halt to it...for good measure I did some counteracting actions of my own.  Such as breaking a mug this person gave me years ago - one I happened to use everyday since having it in my possession.  I also burned a few things - and what should have burned a normal color burned green (envy) and the wind picked up considerably - enough that I felt it coming from the fireplace flue...

Anyways, yes the information you both provided just proved more to me... the picture thing wasnt done to me...but lets just say the person it involved is no longer of this earth.  Nuff said? lol  Okay I sound like a lunatic.  I dont think she actually KILLED the person, just - very bad things happened to the person after their picture was flipped over.

Okay I sound like a total woo-woo so Im stopping now...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 12:50PM #5
Sacrificialgoddess
The intent behind it was probably a lot more important than the actual action.  I have heard of this as a Jewish Funeral rite, like stopping all the clocks in the house, but never to accomplish anything.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 12:57PM #6
GreenEyedLily
I did speak with my family about it and mentioned that to them - that the intent behind it was what was important, not necessarily the actions done.  I said the actions people take are more symbolic for themselves than helpful.  That if you intend for something to happen its already in the works long before you get around to using any tools...

Scary stuff though if you heard everything thats gone wrong - and that it can be traced back to one specific day where everything changed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 4:31PM #7
GreenEyedLily
Thanks Dah!  Glad to know you dont consider me a woo-woo!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 5:47PM #8
Sacrificialgoddess
And here I thought woo-woo was a euphamism.  :p
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 12:56PM #9
DAH54
I have heard (a long time ago) that it is a way of cursing someone, wishing them dead if you will. In a very passive kind of way. Is that what you are referring to?

I googled and can't find anything that really supports that. The theory was Germans often turn any pictures face down as a way of honoring someone who had recently pasted away for a time before removing the picture, from a room. People are normally buried face up, doing this to someone alive, the suggestion is they are dead (or you want them that way) and you are sending them to hell. Some criminals where buried faced down when they where executed. It's a mishmash of a number of ideas and yes I would say that it is a form of folk magic. Don't know if that is what you are looking for or if it is helpful to you.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 4:00PM #10
DAH54
Urukai Thank you for confirming some of my beliefs, and also sharing the possibilities of some good intent.  It's nice to know that I am simply not  living solely  in a world of my own creation.

GreenEyedLily, I hear you, and you are not; in my world. :)

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook