Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 11:50AM #1
Feinics
With Halloween coming up,  just wondering what folk magic or traditions ( if any) you associate with or practice at this time of year?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 11:56AM #2
GreenEyedLily
Oooh! I love Halloween!!!

For me I put up extra protection that day simply because I get a slew of spirits any given day - Halloween just brings me more! LOL 

Tradition for me is chilli or stew on that night...but nothing really magical...its a very powerful night IMO therefore I am very careful about anything I do or think...

This year we are setting a few extra spots at the dinner table for any 'unseen guests' that may arrive and I will probably light a fire in the fireplace and burn some of the herbs I harvested earlier this summer!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 12:04PM #3
Feinics
I like that you've your own little traditions that you do! Growing up we used to always set extra places too, to honour and welcome those that had passed! My mum used to get me and my friend to do all these little things on halloween that I guess now I'd call divination like peeling an apple and throwing it over your shoulder and the shape it lands in is the person you'll end up with, there was another one with a mirror but my memory is a bit hazy on that. The one I remember most is putting saucers on the table each containing an item the person would be blindfolded and the sauceres mixed around then the person would be spun around 3 times and have to (blindly) pick a saucer, eg, if you touched the one with water you'd be going over sees, a ring would mean marraige etc.. I must giver her a call and ask her what else we used to do!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 1:50PM #4
GreenEyedLily
LOL I love chili too and surely I will trade recipes!

Yes to me its a form of smudging, although this year I did not grow any sweetgrass...this Halloween it will be sage, and lavendar.  We had a poor growing season so unfortunately I dont have much else...parsley but ew can you imagine what THAT would smell like?  Or yicky - garlic chives hahaha...never tried burning those!

Feinics I would LOVE to hear more about the saucer thing!  I am starting to think of having my own children shortly and am trying to collect neat little traditions to start putting into play for when they come along!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 7:46PM #5
Feinics
yea the saucer one is fun! I'll call my mum tomorrow and pick her brains! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 5:04AM #6
lexa_blue
I always light a fire or a candle to light the way for those that had passed.  I leave it lit as late as possible for them.  I set extra places at the table as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 1:01PM #7
Urukai
We will do a ritual to honor ancestors and those who have passed...set up an altar...we'll do some divinations...light a fire...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 1:04PM #8
GreenEyedLily
Im actually hoping that some friendly spirits will show themselves to my S/O tomorrow...or at least have some fun with us!  The activity most definitely has increased as we get closer to the 31st...ack I love this time of year!! lol
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 1:06PM #9
Feinics
I kno its the best!Im getting all psyched up for some halloween mischief tomorrow :)

What sort of divinations do you do Urukai?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 1:23PM #10
Urukai
I do Tarot and each year try to pick a different method in addition to that...one year pendulum, another year fire gazing, another oil and water, another year reflective surfaces...still trying to pick one for this year...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook