Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do YOU consider Folk Magic?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 5:08PM #21
Drwhite
I think there is little good intent in giving someone such a nasty thing as cough syrup. LOL!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 5:14PM #22
Feinics
lol yes its disgusting stuff:) 
but at least we can agree cough medicine isnt folk magic or folk medicine anyways! the rest is rather confusing however!:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 5:16PM #23
GreenEyedLily

Feinics wrote:

what if I sent you healing energy without you knowing when i did it! would that contsitute as a healing or magic if since the placebo effect is taken out of it?

My mother used to cleanse my aura when i was in pain. would that go along with those abilities or would it be different.?
I had acupunture and the lady was moving energy in me to make me better! there is use of energy and intent but yet this wouldnt be called magic either?

Yes I think that would take the placebo effect out of it...and to me thats healing...but I suppose there is a magical tone to the healing? 

And yeah cleansing your aura is like...well at least what I would consider to fall under holistic healing. 

DrWhite...ever heard of Buckleys?? lol:p

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 7:26PM #24
Dromahair
[QUOTE=DrWhite;56006]Yes, but is folk magic the same as folk medicine?[/QUOTE]

That there is a disparity between the two things is a modern phenomenon.  The healers of yester-year would have applied medicinal treatments in concert with 'magical' work and wouldn't have understood there to be any real difference between the two.

So I say yes, folk magic and folk medicine are part of the same thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 8:50AM #25
Drwhite
According to that book you have to say words and such...wouldn't it be just as easy to give them strawberries or willow bark tea? I think that is the main difference between folk magic and folk medicine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 6:15PM #26
GreenEyedLily

HexPainter wrote:

It's Intent... Will... Psychology...

*** gives strawberry or cup of tea... "What's this for?".... I say nothing...

*** gives strawberry or cup of tea... "what's this for?"... I say "Piss off"

*** gives strawberry or cup of tea... " what's this for?"... I say "To make you feel better"

Which one would work the best?
A prayer by a Holy Person/Shaman/Witch/Healer would do wonders for a religous person.

[COLOR=purple]This might sound odd...but for some reason I seem to think the scenario where you dont say anything would work better.  For two reasons - 1. The tea/strawberry could do its work where its needed most.  and 2.  Perhaps mentioning - to make you feel better - would bring back thoughts of whatever isnt making that person feel better?  Have you ever had someone say - are you feeling better?  And you hadnt even been thinking of whatever was causing you illness at that time - but the question makes you tune back into it and therefore your mind is on it again?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 6:20PM #27
Feinics
thats a good point! our intent may be to make the other feel better but the implication that your not better all ready may bring things in the persons mind that we cant imagine!!
Some people when doing magic wont say it in the future tense ie this is to bring health instead- but will speak in present tense and say I have good health.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 6:27PM #28
GreenEyedLily
Oh yes I learned that from The Secret and from a website I go to www.tut.com.  I just won a book from there and its fabulous hehe one of the sayings goes something like this...How do you manifest your dreams into your life?
1. Ask once
2. Give thanks often

Act as though you already have what you want in life - and I tell you Feinics!  It truly does work! hehe

The power of words and thought is greater than we sometimes give them credit for - I found with magic and spellwork that you have to be so careful with wording!  Actually...I learned that when I was younger and made a habit of staring up at the night sky for hours wishing on the stars for whatever it happened to be for the night.  The wishes?  They all came true - exactly how I phrased the wish.  Which isnt always a good thing.  I think that is one of the best lessons for someone starting out in witchcraft or spellcraft and magic - actually having what they wish for come true.  Experience is IMO one of the best teachers we have!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 8:59PM #29
Feinics
oh yea life teaches us a good lesson giving us exactly what we ask so we'll think twice next time we ask:)

whats this The Secret thing I hear some many people on about?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 9:02PM #30
GreenEyedLily
Well there are mixed reactions to it - but basically its the law of attraction and thoughts manifest rolled into a book/dvd that goes into more detail about it.  Personally I LOVED it, but it has gotten some slack - especially from christians for some reason?  They say its the Devil or it doesnt mention God...but I say - why does it HAVE to?  Anyways ~ another reason people dont like it is because it pretty much says - everything you have in your life is there because of YOU because you thought it or whatnot...and those who have not so nice lifes dont want to believe that they created that reality for themselves. At least thats MY take on it.

I recommend at least watching the DVD and making your own opinion.  Most of the stuff in it I already knew...but it was interesting to say the least!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook