Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do YOU consider Folk Magic?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 11:16PM #41
GreenEyedLily
LOL I use Google.  Its served me well! hahaha

Its Edmonton Alberta...and here is a link;)
http://folklore.library.ualberta.ca/dsp … &Current=1

This was his great uncle: http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Files/P … Experience

This is the story my gr.gr. aunt wrote:
http://folklore.library.ualberta.ca/dsp … &Current=1

Now THAT is a history lesson that I found to be quite interesting hehe not coming from a text book ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 11:57PM #42
GreenEyedLily
Well in all honesty...I dont think we have sherifs anymore?  LOL at least not to my knowledge.  Back then in the 1800's Im not even sure if the RCMP was around?  But yes, my idea of a sheriff would be an RCMP officer that is in charge of one region.  Although Im not even sure there would ever be just one nowadays.

Anyways Im off to watch Knocked Up heheh have a great night DAH - great to see you around!!!  ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 8:47AM #43
Feinics
bright eyed and bushy tailed!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 8:49AM #44
Sacrificialgoddess
Well, not quite bright eyed, nor bushy-tailed, but on my way to work, nonetheless.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 9:09AM #45
Feinics
greetings from the future where its after lunchtime!:p
have a great day at work SG:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 9:29AM #46
Drwhite
[QUOTE=DAH54;61839]It is a term of art and aspirin Tylenol, and Motrin all have more than a simple analgesics effect, they all have [SIZE=-1]antipyretics effects as well as other effects. You claimed that Strawberries have an analgesics effect, that effect is specific, and it does not reduce fever. Now perhaps you meant to claim a different effect, I don't know I don''t read minds to often. Like I said I'm a simple quack but if your going to walk the walk you may as well learn to use the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] correct[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] words I believe.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

So, I could not think of the big word for anti-fever. That is why I said they reduce fever. No matter. From personal experience, I know that strawberries help reduce fever or whatever that big word is.

You may be a quack, but I'm ignorant. We should avoid each other. LOL!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 3:00PM #47
GreenEyedLily
Good Morning!  Its morning here for one more minute!  No work for me today!  Yay its a stat here today!

Huge storms though, our power was off for about 6 hours already so you might not see much of me today!  (Do I hear CHEERING?  You guys are SO bad heheeh)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 4:24PM #48
Feinics
sorry to hear bout the storm lily! if the electricity goes heres to hoping you have a romantic evening by candlelight :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:19PM #49
DAH54
Good question Lily!

folk magic:
n. The practice of using charms, spells, or rituals to attempt to control natural or chance events or to influence the behavior or emotions of others.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 9:47AM #50
DAH54

lexa_blue wrote:

DAH, I really like your definition.  What do folks think about the involvement of deity/ies in folk magic?  If one were to envoke G-d(s), would that still be considered folk magic?  I don't really know where I stand on this--what do you all think?
Blessings, Lexa

Thank you, it personally works for me, and allows me to expand this area beyond what it perhaps covered before. Beliefnet clearly has another area (unhosted I believe) that overlaps with my concept of what can and can not be talked about here. Perhaps some will find that they are uncomfortable voicing certains things in my presence, (if so they have the other area) perhaps over time I will prove not to be a trap waiting to snap shut. :) Time will tell.

Clearly folk pray, and by praying they hope to invoke divine interventions. They are attempting to create magic, or at least my concept of magic.  And yes many would rebuke me for that suggestion, but simply saying blue is not blue does not make it so. Now some people acknowledge one God, others acknowledge no god at all, instead they are more comfortable with this concept of some universal source of power that they can reach out and touch, tap into if you will. Still others chose to redefine god into goddess, or gods and goddesses.  **Shrug** perhaps for those who accept many gods and goddesses it is harder to accept that we are talking  about the same source, perhaps not.

I believe most of us believe at the moment what we are doing is right, is one with the plan. We have the ability to rationalize much. Do I have a right to say because I reached out and touched God, and started a chain of events that resulted in "A" that my actions are good and right? And that when another reaches out and touches a source of power, and invokes a chain of events that results in "A" they are wrong? Simply because they would choose to describe their source of power with different words than I do?

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook