Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do YOU consider Folk Magic?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 9:06PM #31
Feinics
i definitely will a friend recommended it to me but I hadnt gotten around to it. sounds intriguing!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 2:03PM #32
Drwhite
Gee, I was just thinking that strawberries have an analgesic property. Willow bark can be used to make a tea that contains ingredients that work kinda like aspirin. It has to do with folk medicine more than just good intentions.

"Oh, you have a fever? Here, eat some of these strawberries. They will help reduce your fever."

"Oh, you have a fever? Here, drink some of this tea. It's ingredients work like aspirin to help reduce your fever."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 2:08PM #33
Feinics
lol yes sorry got caught up with placebo effect !

But is intent not important if we are to raise something from medicine into folk magic?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 2:08PM #34
Drwhite
[QUOTE=HexPainter;59571]
A prayer by a Holy Person/Shaman/Witch/Healer would do wonders for a religous person.
[/QUOTE]

I'm considered a religious person. But, I don't believe it. Does it make a difference? I would think it does. One has to be faithful not religious. Being faithful and religious are technically two different things.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 9:16PM #35
Drwhite
[QUOTE=DAH54;61083]As one who gets hung up in words and their meanings, I believe that an analgesic effect will do little to reduce a fever. Strawberries might work great for pain, but that does not mean they would be effective for fever. Just a thought. But then at best I am just a simple quack.[/QUOTE]

While aspirin, Tylenol and Motrin are used as analgesics, they are also used to reduce fever. Moms have been using them for 50-60 years for that purpose.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 9:18PM #36
Drwhite
[QUOTE=DAH54;61090]I would think one needs to believe, rather than simply being religious or faithful. One could go to church faithfully every Sunday and still not really believe.

In this case believe in the power of the healer, and yes it helps.[/QUOTE]

That's kinda what I mean. In terms I know best, the most religious Christian can still have difficulty believing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 10:02PM #37
GreenEyedLily
Well, here is an example of not really believing (sorta).  I always knew I had certain abilities since I was a child - however up into my late teens hadnt even heard of a ... spiritual healer? Or...Holistic Healing...Actually probbly hadnt heard about that until I was about 20. 

Anyway, the point lol...Darn Im bad at babbling hehe sorry!

I started giving back rubs at about 14 after giving a friend one and him saying that he hadnt felt a back rub ever as good as the one I gave.  Fast forward to about age 18 and a friend of mine had fractured part of her spine in a car accident - not crippling - yet still very painful.  She had been to chiro/physio/massage therapists for 2 years and no one could take away her pain - not even drugs.  We had a girls night one night, and she told me about this, so I said well here let me try.  She still to this day tells people how I was the one and only person able to remove the pain - if only for a short time.

So then once, Im standing beside my Gramma and I feel a pain go through my leg and I ask her - Gramma is your arthritis acting up?  She said yes...I asked - in your left leg?  She gave me a funny look and said yes...instinctively I just put my hands on her leg, I could feel the pain shoot through my arms and she went a little pale.  She said the pain actually left - for days!  Now she has many different arthritises and fibromyalgia.  For the pain to be gone that long was in her eyes a miracle.

So, as much as believing helps - what if you dont even know what you are doing?  Does that count as not believing?  Yet, without even knowing that empaths or healers existed - I was already doing that sort of thing instinctively.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 10:16PM #38
GreenEyedLily
Well...they do call it Supernatural British Columbia ;)

I do know there is are many roots within the native culture here, as well as a rich history - and many...supernatural areas.  The environment alone is an inspiration to me - but other than that I wouldnt know why there are so many of us here.  However I too have heard/met a few people in and around BC that have these gifts too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 10:28PM #39
GreenEyedLily
My roots?  No I have no issues with that!  Im assuming you mean my heritage?

Well...if that is what you mean hehe its a long one ;)

I am british, scottish, irish, dutch, polish and/or german and french canadian.  They arent sure because during the holocaust and the borders getting switched...and people changing their names etc. we really arent sure which we are lol...and I am sure I am forgetting a few of the other places my family originates from.

Here is some interesting info if you are interested though lol.

My great great great grandfather on one side was the first sherriff of Edmonton Alberta - in fact his home still stands from what I was told.  There are alot of his stories online, even read a story my great great aunt wrote about growing up in the 1800's in Alberta.

And another great great great grandfather came over from Ireland on the Hector to Nova Scotia and was the founder of Pictou, Nova Scotia!

LOL Im just proud of my researching abilities lol...I found a few pictures of some of my ancestors and my Gramma thought that was just great!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 10:29PM #40
GreenEyedLily
http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/default.htm

LOL thats a link that shows the slogan - Supernatural BC ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook