Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do YOU consider Folk Magic?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 3:55PM #1
GreenEyedLily
Hi!
Okay, so I thought I would put this out there...

I have noticed that alot of times peoples definition of terms seems to vary - especially in this area of life.  So what is Folk Magic to YOU?  What do you consider to fall under the label of Folk Magic? 

In my opinion, it doesnt really matter if our opinions differ, it just happens to make for a more unique, diverse conversation!

So, I will start with what I feel folk magic is...to me its a form of magic that doesnt involve incantations (necessarily), or spells (necessarily), it is alot about the heart you put into something, and has to do alot with myths, and superstitions.  Obviously its more than that - but just to sum it up thats what I think!:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:07PM #2
Sacrificialgoddess
Folk magic is primarily handed down stuff.  Pinch of salt over the shoulder, tossing a penny in a well to make a wish, that type of thing.  It isn't something that involves heavy ritual.  That would be ceremonial magic.  :)
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:23PM #3
Feinics
can I take this question one step further and ask what folk magic people here practice, I think that might be a fun way to define what we consider folk magic as?that is if lily doesnt mind?:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:25PM #4
GreenEyedLily
Course I dont mind! Go right ahead and add on as you like!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:35PM #5
Feinics
thanks lily :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 2:32AM #6
lexa_blue
DAH, I really like your definition.  What do folks think about the involvement of deity/ies in folk magic?  If one were to envoke G-d(s), would that still be considered folk magic?  I don't really know where I stand on this--what do you all think?
Blessings, Lexa
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 12:06PM #7
Feinics
good question lexa, il have to do some thinking on that one! I would say the aspects folk magic such superstitions/traditions handed down,  are probably done without a conscious invoking of deities but i dont think if a nod to deity was included that it would nullify it as folk magic, beyond that I will have to go away and have a good think about it!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 8:17PM #8
Drwhite
My great-grandmother was a practitioner of folk healing. She used her spit to cure a warts. She used tobacco (powdered snuff) to treat insect bites and stings. And, a whole mess of other things. I wish I knew only half the things she did.

I wonder...was it just something passed down or did she have something 'special.'
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 1:33PM #9
tameless_heart

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Folk magic is primarily handed down stuff. Pinch of salt over the shoulder, tossing a penny in a well to make a wish, that type of thing. It isn't something that involves heavy ritual. That would be ceremonial magic. :)

Ditto, SG.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 7:07AM #10
Drwhite
Yes, but is folk magic the same as folk medicine?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook