Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View What do YOU consider Folk Magic?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 2:12PM #51
DAH54

DrWhite wrote:

Gee, I was just thinking that strawberries have an analgesic property. Willow bark can be used to make a tea that contains ingredients that work kinda like aspirin. It has to do with folk medicine more than just good intentions.

"Oh, you have a fever? Here, eat some of these strawberries. They will help reduce your fever."

"Oh, you have a fever? Here, drink some of this tea. It's ingredients work like aspirin to help reduce your fever."

As one who gets hung up in words and their meanings, I believe that an analgesic effect will do little to reduce a fever. Strawberries might work great for pain, but that does not mean they would be effective for fever. Just a thought. But then at best I am just a simple quack.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 2:17PM #52
DAH54

DrWhite wrote:

I'm considered a religious person. But, I don't believe it. Does it make a difference? I would think it does. One has to be faithful not religious. Being faithful and religious are technically two different things.

I would think one needs to believe, rather than simply being religious or faithful. One could go to church faithfully every Sunday and still not really believe.

In this case believe in the power of the healer, and yes it helps.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 9:56PM #53
DAH54

DrWhite wrote:

While aspirin, Tylenol and Motrin are used as analgesics, they are also used to reduce fever. Moms have been using them for 50-60 years for that purpose.

It is a term of art and aspirin Tylenol, and Motrin all have more than a simple analgesics effect, they all have [SIZE=-1]antipyretics effects as well as other effects. You claimed that Strawberries have an analgesics effect, that effect is specific, and it does not reduce fever. Now perhaps you meant to claim a different effect, I don't know I don''t read minds to often. Like I said I'm a simple quack but if your going to walk the walk you may as well learn to use the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] correct[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] words I believe.[/SIZE]

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 10:13PM #54
DAH54
All things in life come in varying intensities. All people are gifted at something, sometimes it simply is a question of finding out what. For some that finding is easier than others. I can accept that yes you can be blessed with a gift, that you can use it effectively without training or even recognizing what you are doing. However I would think that with some additional study and wisdom you could be even more effective at what you are gifted with. Practice I believe makes better. I also find it interesting that you are not the only one from BC that I know that is gifted with the healing touch. Perhaps it is a small world, perhaps those born in that area are more likely to be blessed in that way?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 10:21PM #55
DAH54
Really  I have never heard that before?  About it being called Supernatural  British Columbia. So am I prying to ask about your roots? No need to respond if it makes you uncomfortable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 11:04PM #56
DAH54
Well that's mean, give me at least the city. Darn if I can find a listing for the first sheriff of Alberta. Lots after it became a province in 1905. Bnet needs a Genealogy area I think.  So what programs do you use?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 11:50PM #57
DAH54
Those pages look really interesting. Google is great if you have a hint of the right key word. Without a key word it's not so hot. I used first sheriff Alberta and got a lot of sheriffs after Alberta became a Provence in 1905.

You guys have a totally different concept of what a sheriff is than I do. Your sheriff is a court officer what I would call a bailiff my idea of a sheriff would be an RCMP officer. With one Sheriff per county, and lots of deputy sheriffs.

Learn something new. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 1:43AM #58
DAH54

GreenEyedLily wrote:

Well in all honesty...I dont think we have sherifs anymore?  LOL at least not to my knowledge.  Back then in the 1800's Im not even sure if the RCMP was around?  But yes, my idea of a sheriff would be an RCMP officer that is in charge of one region.  Although Im not even sure there would ever be just one nowadays.

Anyways Im off to watch Knocked Up heheh have a great night DAH - great to see you around!!!  ;)

LOL What do you think of a foreigner arrogant enough to think he could perhaps teach you something, of your own history? British Columbia Sheriff           Services They might have had the same names as the sheriffs of the wild west but I at least think they played a very different role. Interesting when you read A group of old-timers: Walter Scott Robertson with this understanding,.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 6:58AM #59
DAH54
Well is anyone up yet?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 9:21AM #60
DAH54

Feinics wrote:

greetings from the future where its after lunchtime!:p
have a great day at work SG:)

LOL Well greetings from the past then where it is not yet lunchtime, In an hour and a half I guess I'll need to figure out what that will be today. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook