Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View How do you define these terms?
10 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 11:40AM #1
Sakhaiva
Hi Everyone:

I've been giving a good deal of thought to the following terms and I'm interested in the thoughts of others (always better than google or wikipedia imho)

What is the difference between (and how do you define):

Meditation / Prayer / Journeying / Spells / Divination

As for me, I think it is that these terms sit on a sliding scale ~ they are the same but with varying degrees of intent (?)

Peace and Love to all!

~Sakha
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 11:45AM #2
maylilly
Neat question, Sakha!

I will revisit this when I have more time, but generally speaking I tend to agree with you.  These are all forms of joining the mind/heart to acheive Awareness.  I'll have more to say as I have time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 3:33PM #3
ParanoidMystic
A sliding scale of conscious intention... that's an interesting concept.

I've got a piece of video art in which one of my subjects explains that "imagination is kind of like an etch-a-sketch, you can make whatever you want.  But it's also like a radio, you can tune into things."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZXx532CjWk

(does anyone know if you can embed video on these fancy new boards?)

I definitely think that the mind-body-spirit organism we inhabit has the ability to absorb, transform, and transmit information.  I completely agree that the entire process is initiated and sustained by joining conscious attention (whatever that is) to will, or intent.

For my money, meditation and divination fall under the absorb category.  We scan the radio waves for more information.

Journeying and spells fall in the transform category, in which we use the inherent ability to re-order information in a meaningful way.  In the former, we take a passibe stance and allow the process to "happen to us" whereas in the latter we take control and exert our influence directly.

Prayer (by far the broadest category of those listed) is a transmission out to the universe, often addressed to the deity or aspect we'd like to influence or receive something from.

That's just my thoughts.  But I think you're definitely onto something to consider all these activities part of the same activity.  I will only add to this understanding that one side of the scale is not more or less intention, but from more receptive to more transmissive.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 4:53PM #4
Sakhaiva
Paranoid Mystic - thank you.  I need to digest your post as there are some excellent (and deep) concepts!  Tuning in... like a radio.  We play with that idea in Yoga now that I think of it ....  it would be nice to be more focused than I have been.

And thank you for your You Tube link - yes, I will bellydance to the Om Shiva Shakti :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 5:21PM #5
Urukai
"What is the difference between (and how do you define):

Meditation / Prayer / Journeying / Spells / Divination"

Meditation
Finding a still (quiet) point and listening...this can be done while sitting still in posture or while on the move as in Taichi or yoga for example...The stillness is internal and eternal...so what the body is physically doing doesn't matter...its purpose is reconnection of self to what is perceived as an eternal source from which we all come and to which we all return. Remembering who we truly are when the stress and pain are quieted and acting out of that...

Prayer to me is an imploring, a pleading for something to something usually a superbeing of some sort that is often perceived as being outside of oneself.  Praising God or saying thank you through worship feels like a different animal to me....

Journeying - this reminds me of the Australian term walkabout - in its broadest sense its about venturing out of whatever someone's normal boundaries are to find out who they are so they  -can know who they are...Journeying to me is kind of like that...

Spells are the beginning forms of changes we wish to see...casting a spell would be one of the ways used to bring about those changes...as opposed to prayer which to me is a pleading to an outside source, spellcasting is acknowledgement that the spellcaster has the power or ability to bring about or effect the changes themselves...

Divination -  Whether it's done so circumstance can be affected and changed or controlled or whether it's done for comfort and peace of mind...  In divination there is an attempt try to make as complete a picture of some event or circumstance as possible...     

Blessings and Hugs Everybody...
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 8:40PM #6
akas58
[QUOTE=sakhaiva;6256]Hi Everyone:

I've been giving a good deal of thought to the following terms and I'm interested in the thoughts of others (always better than google or wikipedia imho)

What is the difference between (and how do you define):

Meditation / Prayer / Journeying / Spells / Divination

As for me, I think it is that these terms sit on a sliding scale ~ they are the same but with varying degrees of intent (?)

Peace and Love to all!

~Sakha[/QUOTE]
I think most if not all of the differences in meaning are related to intent.  With the exceoption of spells.

As I see it the idea of a spell is to effect a cgange in someone else - to act upon another using some force or technique not scientifically describable.

Wheras the others are ways of techniques one employs within oneself to harmonize mental, physical and emotional activity.

Imo there is a spiritual apsect to these insofar as God (The One Spirit in which we share) is involved.  I believe opening up our minds to God in prayer can be helped by various physical techniques, such as kneeling, raising hands, quitness, perhaps chanting for all I know.  It is good to find ways to rise above the clamour and deceit of everyday lives and the sensory and rational overload.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 8:01AM #7
maylilly
Welcome to the Tarot and Divination forum, Akas58!  Thank you for joining us and sharing your points of view.

I agree with you that spellwork sets apart from the other terms.  Your explanation of this seems to fit mine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 8:03AM #8
maylilly
*wavies to Urukai* Thank you for that well thought out and consice reply. I always love your clear explanations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 11:24AM #9
Urukai
[QUOTE=maylilly;7776]*wavies to Urukai* Thank you for that well thought out and consice reply. I always love your clear explanations.[/QUOTE]

Aww shucks - gee - kicks the dirt...thanks -   *waves and gives big goofy grin*
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook