Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
2 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2012 - 12:55AM #31
Prairy

Art,

I hadn't realized that you and Charlotte had studied in the "New Thought" area. I knew you and Charlotte had attended the Unitarian Church and that she had started channeling, but didn't realize that it was connected with "New Thought," as I thought new thought were people who often think outside of "the box."

Reading about Malinda Cramer is fascinating. Her parents were Quaker. Her move to improve her health condition proved to be a fatal move...or, was it fate? Coincidence? I'm off to read more of the excellent Links your provided.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 4:51PM #32
Artahrens

The most common Unitarian Church has some different roots from what you are reading about the New Thought churches.  The Unitarians started in Europe and grew at first in New England with some "New England Transcendentalist" influence.  They recently banded with the Universalists, who had trended to be more spiritually oriented than the more social- and feminist- action leanings of the Unitarians.  Unitarian-Universalists (U-U s) intend to be tolerant and inclusive of all.

But you will see that the Transcendentalists had notable influence with both the Unitarians and those in New Thought--one of an inevitable Americanizing trends of the 19th Century.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendentalism#...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 10:46PM #33
Prairy

"U-U's." Has a catchy ring to it! I love reading much of what the "New England Transcendentalist's" wrote. I affirmatively nod my head in agreement as I read Thoreau, Emerson and a few others work. Originally the group was called "Hedge"s Club" and then on to be called "Transcendental Club," by the public.  The group was often referred to as "The Brotherhood of the Like Minded." I like that and wish I could have been a little mouse sitting in on their disscussions, although I feel that this happens now days with goups of like minded individuals on the internet and most likely some clubs out there somewhere.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_Clu... 

Odd, I don't think I've ever read works by Frederick Henry Hedge. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Henry_He... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook