Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 5:25PM #1
solfeggio

One of our local TV channels has just screened the first episode of a brand new U.S. television programme called 'Touch.'  It's based on the premise that on some level we are all psychically connected, and consequently that all coincidences have meaning. 

Or, as one reviewer put it, that we humans are more connected than we could ever imagine.  And I think we all want to know more about this connection.  After all, all life has consciousness, and from that we can presume that all life wishes to evolve and change for the better.  And this evolution would start by an individual becoming more sensitive to the energies going on all around us.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1821681/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_(TV_series)

I've long believed that all our lives do intersect in some way, and that everything happens for a reason, even if that reason is not readily discernable, so, although I enjoyed the first programme very much, I was also very intrigued by this television programme's proposition.  

I see where the programme has been favourably received by the public, so I hope it will continue, and that it will offer future episodes as good as the first one.  

Any thoughts, people? 

Fox Show Will Start Worldwide

Edit: added news link

Moderated by Stardove on Mar 27, 2012 - 08:35PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 5:49PM #2
Fodaoson

From the Series Website:The story’s center is MARTIN BOHM (Kiefer Sutherland), a widower and single father, haunted by an inability to connect to his emotionally challenged 11-year-old son, JAKE (David Mazouz). Caring, intelligent and thoughtful, Martin has tried everything to reach his son. But Jake never speaks, shows little emotion, and never allows himself to be touched by anyone, including Martin. Jake is obsessed with numbers—writing long strings of them in his ever-present notebooks—and with discarded cell phones

The idea of Humanity connectedness has a long history in Philosophy, Religions, folk  lore.

We are connected by cultures, by birth and by civilization.  The idea of an independent individual is a pipe dream of the ego.

“The hundredth monkey effect “  was once thought of as a demonstration of the connectedness of  a species.

John Donne Meditation XVII: No man is an island... addresses a facet of it

Thomas Mertons book  “no man is an island “ speaks or the spiritual connections  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 5:56PM #3
Esdraelon

Ayeyiyiyi...I was writing you a first person response, me, on a personal experience(s) related to your post...hit the wrong key on this laptop and lost it though I have told myself a hundred times to write it off Bnet on Word and cut and paste....

Anyway, I'll write it out again asap....Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 5:59PM #4
TemplarS

Mar 27, 2012 -- 5:25PM, solfeggio wrote:

I've long believed that all our lives do intersect in some way, and that everything happens for a reason   

I agree that this reflects some sort of a deep desire on our part for there to be some sort of connectedness.

But, Solf, if I may, I am curious:  as a non-religious person, where do you think this "reason" you speak of comes from?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 6:05PM #5
Wolfman

Mar 27, 2012 -- 5:25PM, solfeggio wrote:

One of our local TV channels has just screened the first episode of a brand new U.S. television programme called 'Touch.'  It's based on the premise that on some level we are all psychically connected, and consequently that all coincidences have meaning. 

Or, as one reviewer put it, that we humans are more connected than we could ever imagine.  And I think we all want to know more about this connection.  After all, all life has consciousness, and from that we can presume that all life wishes to evolve and change for the better.  And this evolution would start by an individual becoming more sensitive to the energies going on all around us.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1821681/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_(TV_series)

I've long believed that all our lives do intersect in some way, and that everything happens for a reason, even if that reason is not readily discernable, so, although I enjoyed the first programme very much, I was also very intrigued by this television programme's proposition.  

I see where the programme has been favourably received by the public, so I hope it will continue, and that it will offer future episodes as good as the first one.  

Any thoughts, people? 

There could be something to that. There is an electric current that causes a heart beat. Where does it comefrom?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 6:38PM #6
Girlchristian

I watched the first episode and thought it was really good. As a Christian, I believe we're all interconnected and everything in this world happens for a reason. A good friend of mine, not a Christian (but a believer in a God or some sort of supreme being/universe), believes the same thing.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 6:51PM #7
mytmouse57

It makes sense.

The real problem with humanity, I think, is our sense of dis-connect. In other words, we tend to think, and act, as if the world ends at our doorstep.

We obsess over the symptoms of this problem (war, crime, poverty, injustice, environmental degredation and so on and on)... but fail to see the problem. 

Until we can acknowledge that fundamental "connect," as essentially one human family -- then our "problems" (which are really just symptoms of the actual problem) won't be solved.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:23PM #8
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2012 -- 6:05PM, Wolfman wrote:

There could be something to that. There is an electric current that causes a heart beat. Where does it comefrom?

It somes from the sinus node, which is located in the upper portion of the right atrium. Click here to learn more.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:42PM #9
solfeggio

Templar -

Unlike (I think, but I may be wrong) most atheists, who believe there is nothing more to the universe outside of what we see here, I do believe that there is some sort of universal order to things, and that our problem as humans is that we don't see it.

I tend to think of it in this way:  If humans were radios, most of us would be perpetually hearing static because we aren't tuned to the right channel.

Some of us are tuned to the 'right' channel, if I may put it that way, and do 'receive' what might be thought of as information.  The boy in the television programme, who reminds me of Rain Man, does seem to be tuned in.

And people like psychics and true mediums seem to be tuned in as well.

Maybe when we're dreaming we're picking up messages from other levels of consciousness.

Maybe coincidences really do have meanings that we aren't able to sort out.

The reason I discount religion in these sorts of discussions is simply because religions have such rigid rules about what to think and what not to think, mixing up sexuality with morality, for instance, and telling people not to ask questions about things they don't understand.

I like to be free to question anything and everything, looking for answers, and not be hindered by being told that some outcome was god's will, or that the ways of god are too mysterious for us to understand. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:26PM #10
Fodaoson

My previous post was just collection of various thoughts on or about the subject.  

I believe life, soul, spirit, whatever makes a human alive is  an energy. How, when why it comes into the physical body is a mystery. Maybe a spark of the mothers energy animates the body as part of the birth process.  When it leaves is also mystery.  IF it is energy the law physics applies  .”The nineteenth century law of conservation of energy is a law of physics. It states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time. The total energy is said to be conserved over time. For an isolated system, this law means that energy can change its location within the system, and that it can change form within the system, for instance chemical energy can become kinetic energy, but that energy can be neither created nor destroyed. “  If that is the case then we are connected and connected to all of the universe. Some think that there are times when the energy hangs around after the body no longer restrains it  in a form of “ghosts” or a “presence”.    

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook