Post Reply
Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Switch to Forum Live View What's in the myst?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 6:20PM #111
Namchuck
Posts: 11,698

Apr 15, 2012 -- 2:40AM, williejhonlo wrote:


Apr 14, 2012 -- 4:45PM, Namchuck wrote:


Apr 13, 2012 -- 10:47AM, williejhonlo wrote:


Apr 13, 2012 -- 4:01AM, Namchuck wrote:


Apr 12, 2012 -- 2:48PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Apr 12, 2012 -- 3:17AM, Namchuck wrote:


Apr 11, 2012 -- 2:04PM, williejhonlo wrote:


I would not say that they are feelings, but rather, conditions realized due to not everything being equal.




Perhaps, but what does that have to do with the proposition that there are absolutes?



Our finiteness, we are limited by time, place, and circumstances. We cannot self-sustain ourselves. Can we deny that we are always in a position of need? We don't sustain the universe, we are sustained by it.




Yes, but what does that have to do with the postulation of absolutes?



Would you say that it is absolutely true that we are dependent?




No. Our evolved nature allows us a good deal of independence, especially in the intellectual or spiritual realms. To suggest otherwise is to render humans simple automatons pushed about by circumstance and impulse, like a twig in a drainpipe.


I'm not denying that absolutes exist, simply questioning your criteria for their establishment.



No amount of evolution  changes the fact that we are beings of need. Doesn't this planet need the sun for life to be maintained on it? No atmosphere, no clouds, and no clouds mean no rain, no rain produces droughts, and when that happens food sources die and when that happens we ( humans ) die. We need food and drink to survive, so when have we ever been  independent?


Let's say that there is evolution, we didn't create the process, so our evolution would be an act of nature. No amount of intellectualism makes us free of our nature of being beings of need.


You are right, ultimately we are beings dependent on certain biological realities. Psychologically, but not ultimately either, we have the capacity, while alive, to transcend our biological nature.


This is why, unlike any other animal on the planet, we are both objects and subjects. And as subjects, also agents.


By the way, evolution is an unarguable fact.








Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:42PM #112
Neomonist
Posts: 2,705

Apr 15, 2012 -- 6:20PM, Namchuck wrote:


By the way, evolution is an unarguable fact.





Who in this forum has denied that?


 

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 9:14PM #113
Namchuck
Posts: 11,698

Apr 15, 2012 -- 8:42PM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 15, 2012 -- 6:20PM, Namchuck wrote:


By the way, evolution is an unarguable fact.





Who in this forum has denied that?


 




Williejhonlo with his line "let's say that there is evolution..."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 9:21PM #114
Neomonist
Posts: 2,705

Apr 15, 2012 -- 9:14PM, Namchuck wrote:


Apr 15, 2012 -- 8:42PM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 15, 2012 -- 6:20PM, Namchuck wrote:


By the way, evolution is an unarguable fact.





Who in this forum has denied that?


 




Williejhonlo with his line "let's say that there is evolution..."





Thanks

Standard Disclaimer: This is just my 2cents worth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 10:00PM #115
Namchuck
Posts: 11,698

Apr 15, 2012 -- 9:21PM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 15, 2012 -- 9:14PM, Namchuck wrote:


Apr 15, 2012 -- 8:42PM, Neomonist wrote:


Apr 15, 2012 -- 6:20PM, Namchuck wrote:


By the way, evolution is an unarguable fact.





Who in this forum has denied that?


 




Williejhonlo with his line "let's say that there is evolution..."





Thanks




You're welcome.


Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 12:08AM #116
williejhonlo
Posts: 3,775

The only thing that I've seen that is unarguable is the fact that we live and die. Everything else in religion, philosophy, politics, and science are arguable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:36AM #117
Namchuck
Posts: 11,698

Apr 16, 2012 -- 12:08AM, williejhonlo wrote:


The only thing that I've seen that is unarguable is the fact that we live and die. Everything else in religion, philosophy, politics, and science are arguable.




You're largely right, Williejhonlo, although there are no good or sound arguments against evolution.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook