Deception that all could be safe
A country was plunged
Aplomb expunged
Exposed to tectonic fates.

Unstoppable tremors were globally felt
As prayers rushed into the rift
Large waves of tears
Washed over the piers
Where souls and their loved ones were ripped.

The rest of the planet returns to their life
Shaken, decision to make,
In light of the faults
Can they still God exalt
Or will faith be a part of the wake?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 1:09PM #2
Amycain

I died once

when I was 12

for a few minutes 

I looked down

calm and unconcerned

on people frantically working on my body

the body of a twelve year old

and then someone told me 

I had to go back

I didn't want to,

but I did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True story. I am a recovering alcoholic, and this is the story of my first experiments with alcohol, my parents found me unconscious in front of the front door (they'd been at a party, and I had had one with their liquor cabinet)( didn't start really drinking more regularly for a few years after that)they had me rushed to the emergency room, when I woke up they told me I had stopped breathing at one point on the table, I already knew that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 9:05PM #3
Roadrunner3

As I read your experience I felt chills, but amazement at your

report of calm and "not wanting to return", similar to other reports

I have read regarding near death experiences.  I guess we'll all

learn much more about that one day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2011 - 10:07PM #4
Amycain

I guess the reason i put that on your tsunami thread is

that I know it is small comfort to those who lose someone in catastrophic disasters like what has happened in Japan  but I do believe that somehow this world is not the it, the end all, and that we may even be happier in the next place. and really it is good to grieve and morn but we need to understand that maybe grief is for those left behind, their loss, and that Perhaps not to lose faith in God, that as Jesus rose from the dead the victims of disaster continue on in eternity, in the big picture, unharmed by leaving this temporal existence. I say this not because I think you would lose faith i think yours is strong but every time one of these terrible disasters happens I have noted that certain factions want to use it to point to the non-existence of God (I read too many Philosophy sites probably) but as my priest said in a sermon recently around Christmas time God comes in the humble form of the babe  to be with us in this world, not to fix it he comes to be with us in the mess not to make it all perfect, solidarity, hell I don't know where I am going with this except that I just hate for people to use disasters as a reason to accuse God or discount God, and something at the end of your poem made me think of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 1:58AM #5
anirbas

~Tsunami Tears

Death and destruction washed over the island
'Til horrible shaking had ceased
Citizens scattered
Dreams, homes shattered
A devil seemed released.

The crack in the planet demolished defenses
Deception that all could be safe
A country was plunged
Aplomb expunged
Exposed to tectonic fates.

Unstoppable tremors were globally felt
As prayers rushed into the rift
Large waves of tears
Washed over the piers
Where souls and their loved ones were ripped.

The rest of the planet returns to their life
Shaken, decision to make,
In light of the faults
Can they still God exalt
Or will faith be a part of the wake?

~RR.

~*~

well written, evocative, timely piece, Mister! I am awed and humbled by the Japanese survivors of this catastrophic event. their stoicism, strength and solidarity throughout this horrific, natural disaster is nothing short of amazing. I think they are going to have to give up on the nuclear plant and cement the reactors in, as they did after Chernobyl. the sooner, the better...be that as it may, I reiterate, well written, evocative, timely all adjectives that describe this work of your's, to a capital T! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 6:21PM #6
Roadrunner3

Hey Sabrina!

Thanks so much for your comments and I totally agree with your characterization of the

Japanese people.  No looting.  No riots.  It really is astounding. 

RR

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 11:01PM #7
mommy2two

a timely piece, RR- i too have been able to think of little else- the situation is overwhelming, and the insignificant part i am able to play in helping them grossly underwhelming.

i agree with you and sabrina - their great humility and kindness toward eachother in this horrible time is a cultural thing- and unfortunately something we would see way to little of here in the U.S.  i think they know that to survive, they must do so together- hand in hand. i was so moved by the strangers feeding the incapacitated elderly, spoonful by spoonful-  our society does not have that kind of respect towards the elderly.

thanks RR for writing that piece... i am sure many WILL question god's existence and motives after something like this.  

amy answered beautifully to this point ~

m22

"It took me a long time not to judge myself
through someone else's eyes" ~Sally Field
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2011 - 9:26PM #8
anirbas

You're very welcome, RR!

@Babs, concur you wouldn't find that aplomb, graciousness and grace in America. I keep thinking of the news footage after Katrina showing all the looting and theft that went down in the wake of that disaster...I was ashamed and horrified as I watched our people act like mindless hooligans looting and committing mayhem against their fellow victims in New Orleans. it was stomach churning and turning.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook