Post Reply
Page 6 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Messages from the Universe
4 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2011 - 4:45PM #51
Vardu
Posts: 786

Jan 3, 2011 -- 4:02PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Jan 3, 2011 -- 3:33PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 3, 2011 -- 2:42PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Jan 2, 2011 -- 8:44PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 2, 2011 -- 8:02PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Jan 2, 2011 -- 2:55PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 2, 2011 -- 7:16AM, Ezra wrote:


 Be at peace, dear, rest easy, relax,coast and luxuriate to any  degree that you can allow yourself, for the day will inevitably arrive when  you'll understand all the "reasons" that now elude you, bless the darkness that  now seems to separate you, and celebrate the ancient choices that once made you.


  Just as we do.


  Trust me, The Universe




 


You don't speak on behalf of the universe, but the narcissistic delusion that compels you to think that you do is patently obvious, and extraordinarily comical. +


The anthromorphic conceit that undergirds and overrides everything you say is just as palpable.


You and BIRK share a number of things - the propensity, for instance, for large quantities of verbal diarrhea - but most apparent a total disregard for facts and truth. But, then, hasn't that always been the disposition of the mystic-moocher, which is why, one supposes, they have never made a single meritorious contribution to human wellbeing? 


 



Why are you so disrespectful towards people? Do you have some insecurity or something?




I'd like to think that it is more their notions and ideas that I am disrespectful towards rather than the individuals advancing them, but sometimes it is difficult to even be the latter when those individuals continue to refuse to provide even an iota of evidential support for their otherwise outlandish claims.


There is an old truism that says that respect is something that must be earned. This is certainly true in the realm of ideas.


 



Why get upset even over their ideas? Being individuals we all have our own personal conceptions and perceptions. Truth refers to something very perceptional.





 


No, I get a little agitated with the nonsense they attempt to pass off as fundamental truths, Williejhonlo, but I would hardly get "upset" over it.


Do you not think that an individual, especially one who cares for the truth, might want to do all he could to ensure that his conceptions and perceptions conform as closely as possibly to reality?


After all, reason, one of the principle qualities that make us uniquely human, is the faculty of proportioning judgement to evidence, after, that is, first weighing the evidence. 



Why get agitated? what works for you, works for you. Not everybody is going to think like you do.




It's not about "people thinking like I do" but what the truth is. Our best, and perhaps our only tool, to approach and get at truth is through reason.


It is agitating, but only a bit, to witness humans laying aside that which peculiarly makes them human to embrace unjustified ideas and notions that they then try to pass them off as fundamental aspects of the nature of reality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2011 - 5:58PM #52
williejhonlo
Posts: 3,685

Truth based on senses and data are always changing. The truth of this reality is that everything changes. Some say because it is always changing it is illusory, and there is some "truth" to that. Everybody has their perception about what truth is. What is logical to someone is illogical to someone else and vice versa. I don't expect you to hold my views and accept everything i say and likewise you should not expect others to fully embrace yours. It's called beliefnet.com, not factnet.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2011 - 10:41PM #53
Vardu
Posts: 786

Jan 3, 2011 -- 5:58PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Truth based on senses and data are always changing.


Or one could say that it becomes refined over time. Mind you, knowing that truth is hard to find, the paradigm of meritocratic rational inquiry deals more with probabilities than truth.


Incidentally, there is no system of thought that doesn't change over time. It is just that very few systems are honest about it. One could count on the fingers of one hand the number of religions that are honest in this regard. Would that religions had the openness, say, of the Dalai Lama who said that if science was to find something that contradicted a Buddhist belief, then the Buddhism belief would either have to adapt itself to the finding or be jettisoned. 


The truth of this reality is that everything changes.


The thing is, there is no compelling evidence that there is any other reality than this one, and simply saying that there is just doesn't cut it.


Some say because it is always changing it is illusory, and there is some "truth" to that.


Yes, some say that, but, again, they find it difficult to provide either sensory evidence or rational proof to back it up their stance.


Everybody has their perception about what truth is.


Some people use fairly sophisticated methods to investigate reality, like science. No approach has come anywhere near the success it has enjoyed in revealing the nature of nature to us.


What is logical to someone is illogical to someone else and vice versa.


Logic, the art or skill of non-contradictory identification, does not vary according to individual inclination or propensity. You are using the word logic very loosely here, Williejhonlo. It is belief that has that tendency, not logic.


I don't expect you to hold my views and accept everything i say and likewise you should not expect others to fully embrace yours.


I value truth to much to ever hold your unjustifiable views, Williejhonlo. And the only view that I hold that I would like others to embrace is the value of critical thought. But I know that for some people belief is far more important than mere truth.


It's called beliefnet.com, not factnet.com


It is just as well that it's beliefnet and not factnet, otherwise most of you guy's would have absolutely nothing to say. As I've said often, and it cannot be refuted, religion no longer has anything relevant to say on anything important.





Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 7:25AM #54
Ezra
Posts: 68

Expectation unlocks all doors, lights all paths, and frosts   all cakes.

People who live only for dessert, very rarely enjoy the main  course.

And sometimes a meal is like life.

 

Bon appétit,
    The Universe

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 3:14PM #55
Vardu
Posts: 786

Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:25AM, Ezra wrote:


Expectation unlocks all doors, lights all paths, and frosts   all cakes.

People who live only for dessert, very rarely enjoy the main  course.

And sometimes a meal is like life.

 

Bon appétit,
    The Universe




 


What stupendous conceit and arrogance to believe that one speaks on behalf of the universe!


Your post represents the worst kind of trite cracker-box philosophy that simply ignores, or is oblivious to, the facts of reality.


 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 7:20PM #56
williejhonlo
Posts: 3,685

Jan 4, 2011 -- 3:14PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:25AM, Ezra wrote:


Expectation unlocks all doors, lights all paths, and frosts   all cakes.

People who live only for dessert, very rarely enjoy the main  course.

And sometimes a meal is like life.

 

Bon appétit,
    The Universe




 


What stupendous conceit and arrogance to believe that one speaks on behalf of the universe!


Your post represents the worst kind of trite cracker-box philosophy that simply ignores, or is oblivious to, the facts of reality.


 


 



Can't you just appreciate some poetic expression and just leave it at that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 10:47PM #57
Vardu
Posts: 786

Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:20PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 3:14PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:25AM, Ezra wrote:


Expectation unlocks all doors, lights all paths, and frosts   all cakes.

People who live only for dessert, very rarely enjoy the main  course.

And sometimes a meal is like life.

 

Bon appétit,
    The Universe




 


What stupendous conceit and arrogance to believe that one speaks on behalf of the universe!


Your post represents the worst kind of trite cracker-box philosophy that simply ignores, or is oblivious to, the facts of reality.


 


 



Can't you just appreciate some poetic expression and just leave it at that?




You must do some pretty mind-numbingly dull reading, Williejhonlo, if you think the above is poetic.


And how poetic do you think that first line might be to a mother who has just lost another child through malnutrition? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2011 - 4:31AM #58
Ezra
Posts: 68

Tell me,if you were to walk out of your home tomorrow morning,  gaze upward into the heavens and see me there, in all my splendor, pacing,  pining, and worrying; hoping, wishing, and yearning; and questioning whether or  not my boldest dreams would ever come true, would you or would you not, wonder  if I had gone stark raving mad?

 Well then...?

Training your mind, is what it all boils down to.  All of  it.
All things. Everything. "Todo."

 Yours,
    The Universe

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2011 - 5:12PM #59
williejhonlo
Posts: 3,685

Jan 4, 2011 -- 10:47PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:20PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 3:14PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:25AM, Ezra wrote:


Expectation unlocks all doors, lights all paths, and frosts   all cakes.

People who live only for dessert, very rarely enjoy the main  course.

And sometimes a meal is like life.

 

Bon appétit,
    The Universe




 


What stupendous conceit and arrogance to believe that one speaks on behalf of the universe!


Your post represents the worst kind of trite cracker-box philosophy that simply ignores, or is oblivious to, the facts of reality.


 


 



Can't you just appreciate some poetic expression and just leave it at that?




You must do some pretty mind-numbingly dull reading, Williejhonlo, if you think the above is poetic.


And how poetic do you think that first line might be to a mother who has just lost another child through malnutrition? 




Why are you making it political? It's got nothing to do with a mother losing her child due to malnutrition.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 1:28AM #60
Vardu
Posts: 786

Jan 5, 2011 -- 5:12PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 10:47PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:20PM, williejhonlo wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 3:14PM, Vardu wrote:


Jan 4, 2011 -- 7:25AM, Ezra wrote:


Expectation unlocks all doors, lights all paths, and frosts   all cakes.

People who live only for dessert, very rarely enjoy the main  course.

And sometimes a meal is like life.

 

Bon appétit,
    The Universe




 


What stupendous conceit and arrogance to believe that one speaks on behalf of the universe!


Your post represents the worst kind of trite cracker-box philosophy that simply ignores, or is oblivious to, the facts of reality.


 


 



Can't you just appreciate some poetic expression and just leave it at that?




You must do some pretty mind-numbingly dull reading, Williejhonlo, if you think the above is poetic.


And how poetic do you think that first line might be to a mother who has just lost another child through malnutrition? 




Why are you making it political? It's got nothing to do with a mother losing her child due to malnutrition.





What!? The fact that a mother loses a child to malnutrition or preventable disease somewhere in the world every four seconds is "political"!?


While this kind of horror prevails in the world, don't try to convince me with mindless drivel like "expectation unlocks all doors, lights all paths, and frosts all cakes".


That kind of thing only comes from a fat Westerner likely functioning on relatively few engaged neurones.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook