Switch to Forum Live View Before I commit to Nichiren Buddhism, is this the best religion to meet my needs?
4 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2010 - 4:01PM #1
Cinemagirl

I am a highly educated woman born and raised in a strict Baptist household. Early in life, I questioned the teachings of Christianity and went on a spiritual quest that has now las almost 20 years. I have explored a number of religions including: "progressive" Christianity, Unitarianism, Paganism and Wicca, New Age and most consistently, Buddhism. For years, I have gravitated strongly towards Buddhism, particularly Nichiren Buddhism, based on its emphasis on mystism, spirituality and the ability to change one's life.

In my journey's through Nichiren Buddhism, I was dismayed by the level of politics and unnecessary/irrelevenat pressures placed on its members. Many individuals seemed to wander in a "possessed" state with little or no individual thought or expression....but I was still intrigued and captivated by its practice. I chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to the Gohonzon alone and attended progressive "Emergent" Christian meetings, that although did not appeal to my spiritual needs, did provide me with a conscious community to dialogue with.

I recently began attending SGI (A Nichiren Group) and began doing the Gongyo with the group. While it feels good, in fact, great to chant with a large group of people, I DO NOT want to get sucked into the suffocating world of pressure and bias that I was faced with before.

Are there any other religions that are rooted in spirtuality and meditation like Nichiren Buddhism, but also possess the non-biased, non-fanatical community I see in the 'Emergent' church movement? Or do I just stick it out in SGI and keep my boundaries?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2010 - 4:53PM #2
Guessses

Sep 27, 2010 -- 4:01PM, Cinemagirl wrote:

I am a highly educated woman born and raised in a strict Baptist household. Early in life, I questioned the teachings of Christianity and went on a spiritual quest that has now las almost 20 years. I have explored a number of religions including: "progressive" Christianity, Unitarianism, Paganism and Wicca, New Age and most consistently, Buddhism. For years, I have gravitated strongly towards Buddhism, particularly Nichiren Buddhism, based on its emphasis on mystism, spirituality and the ability to change one's life.

In my journey's through Nichiren Buddhism, I was dismayed by the level of politics and unnecessary/irrelevenat pressures placed on its members. Many individuals seemed to wander in a "possessed" state with little or no individual thought or expression....but I was still intrigued and captivated by its practice. I chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to the Gohonzon alone and attended progressive "Emergent" Christian meetings, that although did not appeal to my spiritual needs, did provide me with a conscious community to dialogue with.

I recently began attending SGI (A Nichiren Group) and began doing the Gongyo with the group. While it feels good, in fact, great to chant with a large group of people, I DO NOT want to get sucked into the suffocating world of pressure and bias that I was faced with before.

Are there any other religions that are rooted in spirtuality and meditation like Nichiren Buddhism, but also possess the non-biased, non-fanatical community I see in the 'Emergent' church movement? Or do I just stick it out in SGI and keep my boundaries?

The one recommended to me by B-Net "Belief-o-Matic" is

Mahayana Buddhism (100%)

I'm still researching. May you find what you are looking for,

Peace,

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 9:44AM #3
glendalee2585

I tto was raised a christian and have explored very much. i am much attracted to buddhism and offen describe myself as Emergent Christian Buddhiust (not perfect but as close as I can get. I come up 100% Unitarian Universalist on Belief o Matic. Would love to chat if that might help. You already know your own answer, just need to sotr it out so it may come clear.

Glenda

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook